JAPAN SILVER SEA CRUISE ?

rosewood jo

45 minutes ago, rosewood jo said:

How was SS NOVA CRUISE TO AN from TOKOYO ?   Would you recommend it?   How were the excursions?  

Hi, I think you may have your ships confused. NOVA just came into the fleet in August and she is sailing in Europe with a TA crossing in Nov. 

I know Muse has been in Japan and not sure what other ships do that itinerary but it's not Nova.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rosewood jo said:

the 2026 sailing i thought was the nova......

Oh, I have no clue what she is doing 3 years from now. When I read your original post, it looked like you were asking about a current cruise to Japan on Nova. 

5 hours ago, rosewood jo said:

How was SS NOVA CRUISE TO AN from TOKOYO ?   Would you recommend it?   How were the excursions?  

18 minutes ago, rosewood jo said:

Tell me what is confusing about asking anyone about what they thought of the pre an post tours.     

Your original post didn't mention Pre or Post cruise tours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Your original post didn't mention Pre or Post cruise tours.

Thank you for this reply. The original post looked like it was a question about a cruise that has not taken place yet.

That is why it is confusing (at least to me anyway).

• Like 4

The problem with the pre and post tours is that they are expensive for what they are and many cheaper options. Should be easy to find by googling the places on the tour you want and see what turns up.

We have done nearly 100 trips to Japan and it really is easy to get around with public transport always running on time and the Japanese people always willing to help. Just stand, look confused as you study a map and very soon an English speaking Japanese person will come up to you and ask if you need help.

We will be travelling to Japan 4 times in the next 8 months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

you are correct...I did ask how the excursions were on the cruise at the top of my email......thinking others may speak to the pre/post tours since they are included.....other cruise companies offer the paid pre/post....was curious about what anyone wanted to tell me  about their personal experience...I will go in and use the search bar for specifics...thanks for everyones help!

Even cruise line like Regent that "include a free" pre cruise, offers a credit if you decline it.

Basically they are a hotel with some 1/2 day tours.  You can do better on your own booking the hotel and then doing a private tour with tours by locals.

• Like 1

Which cruises specifically are you looking at?  Regent for example includes business class airfare and often pre/post package in Japan. 

People here will have a lot of knowledge.  They will share it if you give them more specifics.  I was a little confused with your original post, unfortunately CC doesn't give much time to edit. 

On 9/26/2023 at 6:14 PM, rosewood jo said:

Thks so much.    Doing diligence on 4-5 cruise lines.  Making my spread sheet of drinks, WiFi, gratuities, tips, excursions, pre & post, air etc.  of course the price of the cruise:)  

We did the same three times with bookings each and 2 COVID cancels. 

Pre COVID we chose Oceania from Hong Kong to Japan and Onward to Alaska and San Francisco. This was a unique one time itinerary and was cancelled at the start of COVID.  We would not chose to sail on Oceania any more as had several issues on our last two cruises with them.

Next we evaluated SS and Regent for just Japan.  For an April 2022 cruise we chose Silversea that was ultimately cancelled as Japan was closed due to COVID.  We were not impressed with SS as they waited until one month prior to cancel and it was obvious months earlier that Japan would not open until at least the summer (and actually did not until very late 2022).

For 2024, we chose Regent.  We have sailed both lines so it was a matter of price/value.  Pay attention to the included air and the Pre Cruise land portion (which is usually included).  If you want neither you can get credits on both (air about $6k pp and pre cruise $750pp). Regent also has occasional sales for 2 class upgrades -- which will allow to get a PH3 cabin for a Concierge fare.  We have our tickets, some private tours.  We elected to decline their air, and using FF miles to and returning via Hawaii.  We will spend 5 days there.

I guess a possible fourth choice is Azamara.  But I really dislike their (and Oceania) R class ships as they are just plain old with small cabins.

Edited by PaulMCO

On 9/27/2023 at 2:51 AM, rosewood jo said:

you are correct...I did ask how the excursions were on the cruise at the top of my email......thinking others may speak to the pre/post tours since they are included.....other cruise companies offer the paid pre/post....was curious about what anyone wanted to tell me  about their personal experience...I will go in and use the search bar for specifics...thanks for everyones help!

“Report” your post and ask the host to change the title of this thread.  Something like “questions about pre and post tours in Japan” would be more helpful.

• Like 3

We really spent a long time evaluating Regent vs SS for Japan. We picked SS. The cruise was 14 nights vs 11 nights for Regent. Also was amazed at the Silver Nova. We really want to go on her.  Also liked that with SS you could get a bath tub. 

We wish SS included business class in their door to door rate. I think adding business class was an extra $13,000 or so. The SS website said you could add business class for a discounted rate which does not sound too discounted to us. We have enough Hawaiian miles to go business on JAL so not that big of a deal. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Comparing Regent and SS now for Japan.  Nova has significantly more sea days which are a waste of time.  I prefer more port intensive itineraries.  The 13K upgrade for business class is only a slight discount from published fares. Also, I’m sure there would be additional deviation fees if we wanted an open jaw or go in early, stay later.  However, the Regent ship is not rated very highly on this itinerary.  Would never book pre-cruise tours or hotel with any line as We prefer higher end hotels and private tours.  I have an excellent source with backstreet Guides and Kensington.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
  • Like 1

I just today tried to find a 7-10 Seabourn Japan itinerary in a lower suite.  I could only find 3-5 days.  I like the Taiwan and Korea options but I want more time in Japan ports.  Similar to what X offers.

Also people keep saying X is more expensive but I didn’t see that.  I know, the magic cheap prices are only available from a TA.  I’m just not looking hard enough.