Any bad experiences in Italy?

MdniteDrftr

That's a really negative question which invites only negative views.

Kinda like checking out restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor and clicking on only the "poor" and "terrible" reviews - even the very best fail to please everyone.

Certain parts of the world have reputations for crime or persistent street-sellers or over-crowding or or dangerous roads or unreliable weather or high prices or a hundred other negatives. 

The only things in Italy that I can think of are that in mid-summer it's uncomfortably hot (as is most of the Mediterranean). And that there are more frequent train strikes in Italy than in most western countries - but if just one other person agrees with me that could unnecessarily make you shy away from train travel. 🙄

JB 🙂

• Like 6

10 hours ago, MdniteDrftr said:

Just things or experiences to shy away from.

For helpful replies you really do need to give more detail otherwise you cannot expect anything helpful to you personally in the replies. Are these the kind of replies you are hoping for?

EG I personally would shy away from hiring a motor scooter or booking a car rental with the intention of driving in Rome or Naples.

I would also not arrive at tourist attractions such as the Sistine Chapel or the Colosseum (and many others across Italy) and expect to walk right on in.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Best advice I could give, be aware of your surroundings, try not to look like a tourist, as pickpockets could be watching, and this can be in any place around the world.  Just make the best of any situation, Italy and the world is beautiful, enjoy life while you can!

• Like 1

Get a theft-resistant cross body, don't do dumb stuff like walk with lots of cash.  Pay attention to surroundings.  Figure out where you're headed before setting out.  Don't keep wallet in back pocket.  Don't set your phone or camera down. 

Really be smart like you would ANYPLACE.  Think positive and pay attention.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

That's a really negative question which invites only negative views.

That's what I'm looking for. I want to learn from your mistakes. 😄

I'm not looking for someone complaining that their steak was overcooked at dinner, but I would like to know if someone didn't like taking the train to the port with all of their luggage and would have rather hired a car/taxi. Or maybe someone didn't like their hotel location because it was in a loud neighborhood or too far away from from all the sites.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

For helpful replies you really do need to give more detail otherwise you cannot expect anything helpful to you personally in the replies. Are these the kind of replies you are hoping for?

I'm not really looking for specific things, its more of a general question. Maybe you took a tour and felt it was misrepresented and should have done a different one, or you didn't get to spend enough time at a certain attraction, or did something at the wrong time of day and it made for a poor experience...

I'll provide a few comments based on long experience...

Rome: 

Yes, the train to Civi is a bit of a hassle. If you can afford a car service, that is easiest, basically door to door service. A tip I have utilized is to find a shared shuttle -- cost is less and you still get the same benefits of door to door service, you may just have to make 2 or so additional hotel pick-ups/drop-offs.

Do not ever order any food/drink/gelato without first getting the price. Unfortunately there are restaurants that offer "specials" to unsuspecting tourists and then overcharge them by an obscene amount. (This can apply to other cities as well but I hear it often in Rome.)

Get as many of the tickets for things you want to see in advance. Lines are very long everywhere without them.

Stay in the historic center. I consider the Pantheon to be "ground zero" and have a sort of mental radius around it that I am wiilling to consider. 

There's no reason not to just take a Rome cab from FCO airport into Rome. The taxi line is very convenient to where you exit the airport and there is a fixed rate of 50 euro for any hotel inside the old city walls. (Which covers most central locations.)

General Italy:

Food in Italy is very local. Don't expect to find great pizza in Venice. Order seafood and risotto. Both Rome and Naples (of course) have great pizza. Florence is known for hearty dishes like the famous Bistecca Fiorentina (Florentine beefsteak), boar ragu, and the like. Rome "home cooking" include the 4 famous pasta dishes -- you must try at least one.

Shoulders and knees must be covered when entering churches. There may not be someone there to tell you no, but it is requested and (IMO) only respectful to observe since they are opening their beautiful churches for visitors to see.

Be careful of pickpockets, as already mentioned. Especially in crowded tourist areas (e.g., Trevi Fountain, the piazza at San Pietro, etc.) and also while taking public transportation.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm kind of wondering if there are any areas of the city to avoid. Being born and raised in Chicago (now living in Arizona) we knew the areas that had high crime rates and some areas NEVER to venture into, especially at night. We plan on spending 2 nights in Rome and visiting major tourist areas. Bought myself and husband theft resistant bags (mainly because they are great to carry a few things hands-free.) Just planning on using our street smarts and common sense that we learned growing up in a big city.

23 minutes ago, MargaretK54 said:

I'm kind of wondering if there are any areas of the city to avoid. Being born and raised in Chicago (now living in Arizona) we knew the areas that had high crime rates and some areas NEVER to venture into, especially at night. We plan on spending 2 nights in Rome and visiting major tourist areas. Bought myself and husband theft resistant bags (mainly because they are great to carry a few things hands-free.) Just planning on using our street smarts and common sense that we learned growing up in a big city.

Visitors to Rome for a short period usually spend all of their time in the historic center. There are huge swathes of Rome that you will never see other than perhaps passing by on your way to or from the airport or the port. 

Within this area, I can't think of any neighborhoods that are "bad". The area around the main train station, Termini, is a bit run-down looking but relatively safe and many tourists stay there. It's not the best for an evening stroll. However anywhere around the Pantheon-Trevi-Piazza Navona-Campo dei Fiori area is great in the evenings, before or after dinner, for strolling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MdniteDrftr said:

Maybe you took a tour and felt it was misrepresented and should have done a different one, or you didn't get to spend enough time at a certain attraction, or did something at the wrong time of day and it made for a poor experience...

The examples you have given could apply to anywhere in the entire world, but you asked specifically about Italy as  a whole, not even only one location, as if your examples would only apply there and nowhere else? 

As an example, you asked:

or did something at the wrong time of day and it made for a poor experience.

Answer;In hot weather, avoid going outdoors for extended periods during the hottest hours. (not unique to Italy, as applies worldwide)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of first-time visitors to Europe get a wrong impression and are put off/scared by the grafitti.  I took two family members to Italy this summer for their first visit, and one asked me why I stayed in such a derilict area.  We we're between Pantheon and Campo de Fiori!  When she learned what we were paying per night she was shocked.  To be honest Rome (and so many other cities worldwide) is "gritty".

However, within a few days they came to appreciate the ability to be able to get out and walk anywhere in the tourist areas feeling safe.  Some may consider it a false sense of security, but I'm never concerned about my personnel safety in central Rome; whereas, I can't say the same for my home city San Antonio.  Yes, pickpocketing may (or not) have higher odds in Rome, but I'm not concerned about violent crime.  I do carry a crossbody bag, but you'll not find much in it (maybe 10 euros, water bottle, etc.).  Years ago I stopped wearing a money belt, and for the most part everything is distributed in various pockets.  However, with the enforcement of the requirement to carry your passport I may go back to a waist device.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MargaretK54 said:

Personally, I would never stay near Termini again,   Nice hotel but felt very uncomfortable walking in that area.  Plus it’s not near the touristy areas.  We love staying near campo di Fiori.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

The examples you have given could apply to anywhere in the entire world, but you asked specifically about Italy as  a whole, not even only one location, as if your examples would only apply there and nowhere else? 

As an example, you asked:

or did something at the wrong time of day and it made for a poor experience.

Answer;In hot weather, avoid going outdoors for extended periods during the hottest hours. (not unique to Italy, as applies worldwide)

When I made post I didn't realize it was such a complicated question.

Yes, my examples could apply worldwide, but I'm asking about Italy, its ports, and its attractions.

Did you go to the Vatican an hour before it closed and felt too rushed and wish you had more time? Maybe an hour is enough time to see everything?

Did you regret renting a car and trying to drive to the Amalfi coast instead of just taking a bus tour there?

Did you book an excursion to see the tower of Pisa and wish you would have just done your own thing instead because you found it kind of boring?

Did you take the train to Civitavecchia but found it to be complicated and wish you took a taxi instead?

Maybe you regret not learning more of the Italian language because not as many people spoke English as you thought they would in a certain city?

I've never been to Italy before so I can't think of and list every possible example ever, so I'm relying on experienced travelers to share theirs.

If you've been to Italy and everything went perfect and you had a wonderful time, that's great. I hope that's my experience too.

• Like 1

The problem with a few days pre or post cruise is it's not enough time, and you'll beat yourself up trying to see it all.  Yes, if you only had an hour at the Vatican, you'd feel rushed!  But, then again, what are you going to cut out to spend more time there?  That's why you need to build a plan on what's really important to you.  Some could do without the Vatican, other's not.  Or maybe the Colosseum is your must do.  Or is simply walking around the Colosseum in the beauty of night, looking down into the Forum satisfy your need?  It was probably my third trip to Rome before I actually went into the Colosseum as I had many other priorities.  In those early days I also didn't have the budget for tours, so these were all DIY with the aid of many a guidebook.

As to renting a car for a first-time visitor - No!  Actually, I find public transportation or small tours, for the most part, a much better option (and I've driven a lot of Italy).  Sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery.  

Ah, the train to Civitavecchia, and even the train into Rome.  When I started traveling again to Italy (I lived there as a small child) I was in my mid-20's and my budget was TIGHT.  The train was my only option (it was better than the bus), and I never thought anything about it.  It was just how you got to the port.  I didn't find dragging my luggage (one small bag) thru Termini, up/downstairs at Civi, no luggage storage on train, prehaps standing almost all the way with no air conditioning, dragging bag to ship shuttle, etc. a problem.  Again, it was just how it was done.  After several years (a little more money in my budget) I learned about shared shuttles and gave it a try.  Oh, the train was kicked to the curb after my first shuttle.  😀 But I won't knock the train (much) as it is a good value to get to the port.  However, if you have any mobility issues, traveling with small children, excessive luggage, don't deal well with stress, it may not be for you.  These days I'm a lot older, have some mobility issues, budget has increased, plus often have travelling companions so you'll find me in private transport to/from port.  Then for getting into Rome from FCO the fixed taxi fare is 50 euros; whereas, the express train (Leonardo Express) is around 18 euros.  Do the math: two of you comes to 36, plus then a cab from Termini to your hotel approximately 15 euros - TAKE the taxi!  Now, if you're travelling solo the train may make sense (although there are also shared shuttles for this too!).

As already mentioned find a hotel in Centro.  Yes, the prices are better around Termini or St Peter's but you're just too far away.  Become acquainted with Google maps (or similar) and "map" out what you want to see, then find a hotel in the middle of all of it!  You'll find you'll be doing a lot of walking, and please don't forgo strolling in the evening.  Rome takes on a totally different appearance after dark.  

Most important, make a promise to yourself and come back often, and hopefully with more time.  

Edited by Girr
Adding info.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MdniteDrftr said:

Did you regret renting a car and trying to drive to the Amalfi coast instead of just taking a bus tour there?

Definitely don´t drive on your own with a rented car unless you want to block the whole traffic there!!

steamboats

9 hours ago, MdniteDrftr said:

Yes, my examples could apply worldwide, but I'm asking about Italy, its ports, and its attractions.

Perhaps if you had asked the questions you have now asked in  post #18, it would have been clearer to others what you meant.

Some of your questions are  relating to travel choices and the amount of time to be spent somewhere.  Not possible to reply to these as your sightseeing agenda will be personal to you and your interests and whatever mode of transport you feel most comfortable with. As to the amount of time to be spent, that will be determined by the amount of time you have built into your sightseeing plans plus your personal interests, as for some, an hour in the Vatican would be more than enough, for others not nearly long enough. Ditto the Colosseum as some visitors might not  want to visit it at all but others would want to visit both above and below the arena which takes much more time.  As for transportation, again it is a personal choice and the level of your budget.

And you should not need to learn more Italian just because you will spend a short time there, as especially in touristic areas, there will always be someone to be found who has a few words of english if you are stuck.  Or could you up/down?load one of the translation apps to your phone?

The same should apply to other European countries you will visit.  There is usually no need to learn multiple languages if you are only visiting touristic areas.

And you asked about transport between Civi and Rome.  There is a pinned thread at the top of the  Italy Ports Forum where others have discussed their experiences and it might be helpful for you to read it. it is always worth checking for pinned threads at the top of destination forums as they may be helpful to you.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2848357-civitavecchia-port-rome-by-train-2023-your-questions-answered-here/page/2/#comment-63163274

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

When I made post I didn't realize it was such a complicated question.

You've asked about ports - but from your posts only one (Civi / Rome) is obvious, and two others (Livorno and Naples) would be good guesses but there are alternatve ports for Pisa and the Amalfi Coast. So it would be pointless telling you about Venice, Messina, Genoa etc etc if you're not going there.  So please list your ports 

It's also useful to mention which day of the week and what hours in each port, and your embarkation port  (& disembarkation port if it's a one-way cruise).

Plus anything "different" about your party - any mobility issues, children etc.

The more info you give,  the better & more relevant the answers.

Did you go to the Vatican an hour before it closed and felt too rushed and wish you had more time? Maybe an hour is enough time to see everything?

Standing in line could take that hour. If you're spending pre-cruise or post-cruise time in Rome book timed tickets for places like the Sistine Chapel. But if this is your first time - and especially if it's your only time - in Rome and it's just a one-day port-of-call visit you'll see little else of Rome, so I suggest you just see the Vatican from St Peter's Square. You'll have time for an inside visit to the Colosseum, but book ahead to avoid as lengthy line for tickets, There's no way I know for cutting into the line for security. Unless things have changed, the Colosseum is one part of a three-part ticket. The Forum is across the road from the Colosseum, there won't be a line. The third part is Palatine Hill - it's up a steep hill from the Forum and it's a spread-out site, best to skip it on a port-of-call visit.

I'm a great fan of ho-ho buses, but not in Rome - their route is very basic on main streets and the only worthwhile places they visit are the Colosseum, Circus Maximus and the Vatican. And you'll spend a lot of time sat on the bus at Termini Station while it waits for passengers. Also not worthwhile in Florence - they're not permitted in the historic centre, so they just circle around it. 

I've driven the Amalfi coast as part of a road-trip. It's not as scary as some folk seem to think, but while the passengers take in the view the driver does have to concentrate on the road because it's tortuous, parked cars everywhere, and kamkazee scooter riders weave in from all angles.. And parking is a bit of a nightmare. So don't rent a car. And you won't have time for using buses - the only way to do it is on a tour, and a car or van tour is very very much more worthwhile than a bus tour,

Did you book an excursion to see the tower of Pisa and wish you would have just done your own thing instead because you found it kind of boring?

Pisa's Field of Miracles (the tower is just one part) makes for an interesting and laid-back day. Can be done by tour bus or train (getting from Livorno port to Livorno Centrale station can be a bit of a work-up). Or as a stop-off on a rushed train-trip or tour to Florence 

Did you take the train to Civitavecchia but found it to be complicated and wish you took a taxi instead?

Train is cheap but crowded. And between ship and Civi station is a bit of a work-up. If you can hack a bit of discomfort it's OK for a port-of-call visit.

But if you're burdened with luggage, book a car from airport or Rome hotel, or as a halfway house pre-book seats on an express train.

Maybe you regret not learning more of the Italian language because not as many people spoke English as you thought they would in a certain city?

No need. English is the world's second language. You'll be dealing with folk who speak English, and tourists from Japan or Germany or wherever get along by using English.. This includes train ticket offices, police, many taxi drivers as well as bars, restaurants, touristy shops etc. But it's good to show willing by using a few words, like ciao, buongiorno,  per favore, and grazie.

I've never been to Italy before so I can't think of and list every possible example ever, so I'm relying on experienced travelers to share theirs.

Every city in every country has dangerous areas. But you'll be almost exclusively in tourist areas, you are very very unlikely to see - let alone experience - crimes of violence. In tourist areas everywhere there are opportunists & pick-pockets. So take the same precautions as you would  in places like New York or Boston.

You'll be a tourist, so you will look like a tourist - just try not to look like a dumb tourist .  More than once we've walked into a restaurant  and before we've even spoken we've been presented with a menu in English 🙄

Credit cards are used extensively in Italy and the rest of Europe, and in much of the rest of the world. So change only a little cash into euros and take at least two credit cards, preferably at least one of them with fee-free foreign transactions - your fellow-Americans can suggest suitable cards. 

Outlets will offer to charge your card into USD "for your convenience"🙄. Some will even present their point-of-sale card-reader for your swipe or PIN or signature with the price already converted to dollars 😠- do not accept that, always but always have your card charged in local currency, and your card issuer will convert at or close to the wholesale rate, far better than exchange rates at even trustworthy currency exchange bureaux.  A secondary reason for being charged in local currency is that the price on the card-reader should be the same as on the menu or  price sticker.

Same if your ship's currency is in euros - don't let them charge your card in USD, keep it in euros.

If you've been to Italy and everything went perfect and you had a wonderful time, that's great. I hope that's my experience too.

Like you, we use other folks' experiences and mistakes - research, research, research.

But we still make the odd small mistake. That's life, don't let it spoil your vacation.

Now - those port details etc, please.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Gee, I was going to say my one bad experience in Italy was when I shattered my leg while hiking the vineyard trails in Montalcino.  At least my window view from my hospital room in Siena was pretty...

Yikes!  Hope it all healed well!  

I guess mine would be the time I had to take a taxi to Naples and back from Salerno for an ultrasound to the tune of several hundred euros,  had to pay both taxis for double. Thank goodness for great insurance 

or when the ATM aborted our transaction and our bank thought we had the 600 euros we didn’t get and we needed  to get the carabinieri involved.  Thank goodness for google translate.  

Or when the fire in the Rome airport resulted in all flights cancelled and we had to pay 700 euros for a domestic Italian flight on Ryanair.  

But renting a Ferrari made it all worth while😂🤷‍♀️

always a silver lining with good Insurance! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Always good insurance!!   As for the leg - after surgery in the US and a year of rehab, I can do everything but ski.  The lower leg and ankle ended up a little skewed to the left.  Made trying to ski a little tough because it wouldn't go straight.  But otherwise, it's workable.

Bad experiences - nothing worth mentioning.  I'm a no real hard plans kind of traveler and I just roll with the flow.   Poor people this past week who had issues due to that little earthquake around Naples...

• Like 2