Any bad experiences in Italy?

MdniteDrftr

On 9/30/2023 at 8:46 PM, MdniteDrftr said:

Did you go to the Vatican an hour before it closed and felt too rushed and wish you had more time? Maybe an hour is enough time to see everything?

No, but we felt quite clueless when we had to wait 1.5 hours after the assigned time to our skip the line ticket.   An hour is way too short.

Get up early and visit the Ancient City at sunrise,  before the crowds.

The Leonardo Da Vinci Museum is largely replicas,  but it is interesting to see his collective works displayed in model format and I am a big fan.

I highly recommend not to request or sing O Sole Mio while in the Gondolas in Venice, or anywhere else but in Naples or you will anger the Gods.

And watch out for the other Gondolas in Italy too, one recently had an accident.

Also, I believe that Uber was illegal in Rome when we were there,  not sure about the rest of Italy.

And to concur with others,   we have taken the express train from the Airport to Termini but I now believew that taking a Rome Taxi makes better sense and is easier.

Finally,  strange but interesting things seem to happen for us in Rome.  We were sitting poolside at a big hotel near Termini when the crew for Netflix"s Stranger Things literally fell into the rooftop swimming pool and filmed a ruckus while we were enjoying our lunch,  and we ended up on Youtube in the background.  

• Like 3

On 9/29/2023 at 7:03 PM, MdniteDrftr said:

It can't all be good, right?

No, not all good.  We just got back from a trip to Northern Italy.  On the Malpensa Express to Milan, someone snatched a young man's bag from the overhead storage right above his seat without his knowing.  It contained his passport and credit cards.  The poor guy was understandably frantic.  I learned my lesson years ago with having my wallet taken in Rome (front pocket).  I thought no way it could happen to me of course.  I now wear a money belt and a pouch inside my trousers for cash and cards.  I don't even carry a wallet.  

On this same trip, while in Venice, my brother-in-law provided CPR to an older gentleman who had collapsed.  It was good that he was able to help but not so good that the gentleman needed it.  We were across the Grand Canal and saw the ambulance boat pull over.  We had no idea our brother-in-law was involved.  

• Like 2

One other thing occurs which is on the "good" side of the checklist.  Pharmacies, which are everywhere in Italy, do more consulting than what we are accustomed to here in America.  Don't expect to pick up common OTC meds off the shelf.  Instead, you will talk to a pharmacist who might ask a few clarifying questions before suggesting a remedy.  Hopefully you won't need one, but if so they really are very helpful.  

Another somewhat useful tip is to print out the name and address of places like your hotel.  If you butcher the Italian language like me, it will be much easier for the taxi driver.  

BTW, previous comments about English being pretty common in tourist areas are very true.  You will be amazed at how often a local will open a conversation using English (they know).   However, learning a few common courtesy phrases in the local tongue is a nice thing.  

Finally, I will reinforce that pickpockets are rampant in tourist areas.  Do not underestimate them.  Take precautions.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 3

On 10/5/2023 at 11:33 AM, JRG said:

I highly recommend not to request or sing O Sole Mio while in the Gondolas in Venice, or anywhere else but in Naples or you will anger the Gods.

And anger people on these forums too!  Haha.  

I learned of this rivalry a few weeks ago right before we left for a land trip that included Venice.  I warned our travel companions. 

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2023 at 2:45 AM, steamboats said:

Definitely don´t drive on your own with a rented car unless you want to block the whole traffic there!!

steamboats

Renting a car in Italy only makes sense if you will be visiting smaller towns and rural areas - we found it great for visiting the hill towns  while spending a week in Greve in Chianti, or parking at the big garage near the Venice rail station, but driving into Rome, Florence, Naples, Milan, etc. is a sure recipe for a bad time.

• Like 1

@navybankerteacher it´s more that you really don´t want to drive on your own along the Amalfi Coast unless you are an experienced mountain driver. This route is very stressful. A couple of years ago the Italians did forbid any non local bus drivers to go on this route. The streets are narrow and you hardly see around a corner. You need to know the local traffic rules - stop when you hear a bus or truck honking!! There´s hardly any parking space. And on one side it´s going steeply down the mountain to the sea. 

Been there done that... O.k., I didn´t drive on my own (back then I got my license a couple of days prior to the trip). My dad did the driving and he was very experienced in the mountains but even he said that´s it - only once.

steamboats

Just pickpockets.  One in Roma, other in Venice.  The petty thieves are good at their jobs.  Use all the other good advice here and stay out of crowds.  Be ready with your elbows if someone gets too close.  Sounds harsh, but it's awful to get your clothing slashed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Red or green lights don’t matter so much from what I remember of Rome last time I was there. The trick is no one would dare hit Nona so follow close to anyone that looks like grandma and you won’t be run over. 

Next week I’ll be in Rome for one night so I picked a hotel near Termini since I’ll just drop my luggage off after arriving and quickly freshen up before heading towards the more touristy area of Rome. In the evening I’ll take a taxi back to my hotel and crash for the night. In the morning I’ll wake up, have breakfast either at my hotel or a nearby cafe and at check out head to Termini again for my train to Civi. Staying closer to attractions didn’t make sense and I would have had to haul my luggage further etc. if your staying multiple nights however it would be more convenient to be more centrally located.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/26/2023 at 2:16 AM, SoloAlaska said:

Red or green lights don’t matter so much from what I remember of Rome last time I was there. The trick is no one would dare hit Nona so follow close to anyone that looks like grandma and you won’t be run over. 

Next week I’ll be in Rome for one night so I picked a hotel near Termini since I’ll just drop my luggage off after arriving and quickly freshen up before heading towards the more touristy area of Rome. In the evening I’ll take a taxi back to my hotel and crash for the night. In the morning I’ll wake up, have breakfast either at my hotel or a nearby cafe and at check out head to Termini again for my train to Civi. Staying closer to attractions didn’t make sense and I would have had to haul my luggage further etc. if your staying multiple nights however it would be more convenient to be more centrally located.

Crossing the street with a group of nuns is even better than Nonna! On my first visit to Rome, our guide gave us lessons on how to cross the street without getting run over. The lessons were so good that we used the advice in Phnom Penh, and lived to tell the tale. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, lisiamc said:

Crossing the street with a group of nuns is even better than Nonna! On my first visit to Rome, our guide gave us lessons on how to cross the street without getting run over. The lessons were so good that we used the advice in Phnom Penh, and lived to tell the tale. 

Hahaha how about an old nun? I think we found the person who will never get hit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 10:51 AM, megr1125 said:

Get a theft-resistant cross body, don't do dumb stuff like walk with lots of cash.  Pay attention to surroundings.  Figure out where you're headed before setting out.  Don't keep wallet in back pocket.  Don't set your phone or camera down. 

Really be smart like you would ANYPLACE.  Think positive and pay attention.  

I'm looking at a Pacsafe bag for Europe this summer. Is this the crossbody you have? Do you like it? Thanks!

Travelon and Pacsafe have a great selection of theft-resistant bags in a wide price range. Choose ones that have the features you like and check reviews. I use a Travelon bag when we travel to Europe. Be sure to use the fasteners and latches on your bag and you will be good to go. 

6 hours ago, Chadr135 said:

I'm looking at a Pacsafe bag for Europe this summer. Is this the crossbody you have? Do you like it? Thanks!

I have a Pacsafe that I take everywhere. It’s my handbag at home too. They have a distinctive look, so I am sure that pickpockets can identify one at 50 paces. I’d like to hope that they’d decide I was too much trouble, and choose another mark. 

35 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I have a Pacsafe that I take everywhere. It’s my handbag at home too. They have a distinctive look, so I am sure that pickpockets can identify one at 50 paces. I’d like to hope that they’d decide I was too much trouble, and choose another mark. 

I'm sure you're right, thanks so much!! 🙂

Hard to not comment on such a topic (as posted by the OP).  We have spent an awful lot of time in Italy (over more than 40 years of extensive travel) including numerous port days and more than 10,000 of driving within the country on our independent travel.  We have had many fantastic days, plenty of good days, and I cannot honestly recall a single bad day!  Even though we have been to Italy many times, both DW and I smile whenever we return.  

As to the pickpocket sub-topic, we would simply warn that this is an issue in tourist areas all over the planet.  In Italy I have only had one attempt and it happened in the center of Bologna around high noon :).  A gypsy lady (with the usual faux baby) tried and got a hard whack on her chest from my Tote for her trouble.  We cannot stress enough, that we tourists need to take some basic precautions to protect our valuables and always be alert to your surroundings.

Hank