Silver Wind condition 2023

Emtbsams

I know this issue has been addressed in several threads, but since we are a group of 12 scheduled to cruise to Svalbard next July, I wanted to collect information in one place so we can make an informed decision should we decide to "jump ship".  While I understand the ship is old, so am I!  Certain age-related problems can be tolerated.  But the issue of a sewage smell in suites is a great concern.  I have followed Spinnaker's thread on the issues they have encountered on the Cloud where the problem has yet to be solved in their Silver Suite and most likely cannot be remediated.

We have cruised on almost all of the Silversea ships since 2006 and have been generally quite happy, but since I am the person who has recommended this ship and cruise to the group, I would hate for it to be disappointing.

Please let me have first hand experiences from recent cruises and suite numbers so that we can make our decision.  Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Emtbsams said:

I know this issue has been addressed in several threads, but since we are a group of 12 scheduled to cruise to Svalbard next July, I wanted to collect information in one place so we can make an informed decision should we decide to "jump ship".  While I understand the ship is old, so am I!  Certain age-related problems can be tolerated.  But the issue of a sewage smell in suites is a great concern.  I have followed Spinnaker's thread on the issues they have encountered on the Cloud where the problem has yet to be solved in their Silver Suite and most likely cannot be remediated.  We have cruised on almost all of the Silversea ships since 2006 and have been generally quite happy, but since I am the person who has recommended this ship and cruise to the group, I would hate for it to be disappointing.   Please let me have first hand experiences from recent cruises and suite numbers so that we can make our decision.  Thank you in advance.

Appreciate starting this great thread and look forward to reading the various follow-ups.  

We are looking seriously at doing either the Cloud or Wind in early 2025 for our first exploring to Antartica.  Our first Silversea cruise was on the Silver Cloud in July 2010 doing Norway during a wonderful cruise.  We have followed with three other cruises on the Cloud.  

But as noted on Spins' posting even back in 2010, there were some challenges with the mechanics aging and such a ship battling for years and years against the high seas and salt water.  From being on the Silver Muse and doing the Silver Moon in February for India to Singapore, there is much very nice on the newer SS ships.  

Trade-offs??  Look forward to soaking up more background and updates.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 249,011 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

I went to greenland in Wind in 2022. We had a great time. The only issue was that 2 days before the end of the cruise the closet in our Veranda Suite got all wet. SS arranged a huge fan to try to dry it. I was told that the water came from our shower which had a clogged drain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

We are looking seriously at doing either the Cloud or Wind in early 2025 for our first exploring to Antartica.

Terry . . . there are far better ships out there.  Seabourn Pursuit and Venture, the Lindblad fleet and so on.  I'm on the Wind next April/May and it is only the itinerary that draws me to that ship.  There is no alternative.  Antarctica has heaps of alternatives.  

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Terry . . . there are far better ships out there.  Seabourn Pursuit and Venture, the Lindblad fleet and so on.  I'm on the Wind next April/May and it is only the itinerary that draws me to that ship.  There is no alternative.  Antarctica has heaps of alternatives.  

Silversea Endeavour...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Yes, the Endeavour would be a better choice than the Cloud or the Wind.

I am well aware of that, but due to time constraints and scheduling for some in our group, this is what we can do.  My question remains - has anyone had any recent problems on board,  if so, what kind and what location on the ship.  If it were just up to me, I would be on the Endeavour if I even took this itinerary!

Thanks.

We were on the Wind in May 2023 for 11 days, suite 625.  On occasion, there was a slight odor of sewage in the bathroom near the commode, which would last for a few seconds.  Other than that, we did not notice any problems anywhere else on the ship, other than the fact that the in-suite decor is a bit out of fashion.  

• Like 1

We were on with JP in June, cabin 535 and we disembark tomorrow after 18 days in 537. We have had no issues. There are passengers that have been on for 42 days since Greenland. We have heard no complaints.  

• Like 2

Hi Victoria and Bob;  have friends that have been on board the Wind for the 42 day NWP voyage that ends tomorrow.  Have asked Smoky Angus (Anne & Bob) if they would like to offer you their first hand observations.  fyi..they are from Maryland and will be with us on the Silver Cloud Grand Indian Ocean Voyage next year.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Hi!

We were on the Wind in June (Helsinki to Reykjavik(, and as Wes said, are winding up a wonderful 42 day B2B from Kangerlussuaq to Vancouver . We have been in 535; nicely convenient location,  we thought.  
At times, we did notice an odd odor upon entering the cabin corridor but we mentioned this to the wonderful Hotel Director, Mr. Turnuklu and the issue disappeared. 
The ship is clean, we do not see any frayed or worn fabrics, so see a couple nicks here and there on the wood in the cabin. We found it a VERY comfortable and pleasant environment. 
I hope this helps;

Smoky Angus (Anne)

• Like 4

One last thing about the Wind. Unfortunately, we had three occasions of need to visit the onboard medical facility. I have no idea if the doctor in June was the same for this B2B we are finishing up, but she and her team were fantastic and we felt we had been well taken care of.

Anne and Bob

• Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 4:07 PM, Fletcher said:

Appreciate these great comments and helpful follow-ups from you, Host Jazzbeau and others.  Yes, agree there are much better and newer ships from Seabourn, Silversea, Viking, National Geo, etc.  

BUT, then there is "Economics 101"??  The Silversea Endeavour is much newer and nicer, however, priced at a significantly-higher level.  We have some different cruise credits and other benefits to tilt towards using Silversea versus the costs levels with some of the other cruise lines.  

Trade-offs??  Great feed-back and insights being shared on this thread.  Will keep researching and considering the various potentials.  As another key Cruise Critic poster often shares "It is good to have options!"  Fortunately, others have had good experiences with the Silver Cloud and Silver Wind.  Don't worry, we will not be booking a Silver Suite under the pool deck.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 245,589 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2023 at 11:39 AM, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these great comments and helpful follow-ups from you, Host Jazzbeau and others.  Yes, agree there are much better and newer ships from Seabourn, Silversea, Viking, National Geo, etc.  

BUT, then there is "Economics 101"??  The Silversea Endeavour is much newer and nicer, however, priced at a significantly-higher level.  We have some different cruise credits and other benefits to tilt towards using Silversea versus the costs levels with some of the other cruise lines.  

Trade-offs??  Great feed-back and insights being shared on this thread.  Will keep researching and considering the various potentials.  As another key Cruise Critic poster often shares "It is good to have options!"  Fortunately, others have had good experiences with the Silver Cloud and Silver Wind.  Don't worry, we will not be booking a Silver Suite under the pool deck.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 245,589 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Terry, I'm going to respectfully disagree with your premise that the Silver Endeavor is "priced at a significantly-higher level" than the Silver Wind. We recently booked the Jan 6, 2025 15-nt sailing on the Silver Endeavor to Antarctica. Currently quoted as $32,100 pp for a Dlx Veranda. We did consider the Silver Wind, which offers an 18-nt sailing departing Jan 25. Dlx Veranda for it is currently quoted at $32,600 pp; $500 pp more than the Silver Endeavor rate.  

Now before anyone cries "Apples and Oranges", let me point out the Jan 6 Silver Endeavor sailing utilizes the Antarctica Bridge option for the embarkation leg of the trip. If you look carefully look at the AP, South Georgia, and Falklands itineraries for both trips, the actual "on station" time for both is almost identical. That's because the Antarctica Bridge option saves 2 days by flying over rather than sailing through the Drake Passage.

So like everything in life, the devil is in the details. GOOD LUCK! 

Edited by Desperate to Sail

• 2 weeks later...