Too old to cut the mustard anymore :)

cruiseorcamp

1 minute ago, jwlane said:

Exactly. It's only discrimination IF it's unjust or prejudicial. 

Discrimination can be just and non-prejudicial.  That's my point.

Just like Homicide can be legal, justified, and the right thing to do.

On 10/1/2023 at 11:41 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

I can’t say if Royal has anything to do with restrictions or not.  But if you can get off the ship and do the same type of excursion without that restriction, then it would appear that possibly they do.

I do know that on Odyssey last year they had a scale at the entrance to the North Star that everyone had to get on before they were allowed access as they had a weight limit.

We did the North Star in March and there was no weigh-in.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 11:32 AM, cruiseorcamp said:

So I have posted this on RCCL as that is our upcoming cruise.

However, has anyone been denied shore excursions due to their age?

I understand that there are certain types of activities that might not work for disabled folks, but we have been denied 2 or 3 excursions at Cozumel port.  Over 70.

This will probably be our last trip there and wanted to do something fun.

Thank you.

Try going to this website, there's no age restrictions from what I can tell, I was able to use them in Martinique and it was a great tour.  My travel agent sent this link to me:  https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com

We've been on the Ultimate snorkeling trip five times through Royal in St Maarten but last time I was there it had a low age limit (70, and we've been twice since then).  So now we do a lot more independent bookings.

As others have said, a ton of things to do in Cozumel.  Try shoreexcursioneer or shoreexcursionsgroup.  We've used these many times and generally you get a smaller group on your tour at a lower price than the cruise line.  Plus you don't get to wait for the two or three people that are 20 minutes late for the tour.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

People get old ,that cannot be changed.Being obese can be changed.I was an obese teenager.I lost 66 pounds and never gained the weight back.

Who exactly do you think is being discriminatory? I am confused as to who you are actually blaming.

Most of this thread is based on speculation.  Certainly no one here knows the answer as to who is setting the restrictions. As already stated, I doubt the cruise line is actively trying to stop people from buying excursions.

As far as OP @cruiseorcampis concerned, and their original question, lots of independent vendors in Cozumel where you can probably buy direct. Of course that does then leave the question as to whether they are actually insured or not.  

If you have a specific activity in mind try the port of call board on CC for suggestions and advice.

43 minutes ago, true45 said:

We did the North Star in March and there was no weigh-in.

What ship? We were on the Odyssey TA in April 2022. The only time we went up to do it was in port when it was free…they had a sign in sheet and a scale and said the limit was 300 lbs.  when did you go?  

9 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

What ship? We were on the Odyssey TA in April 2022. The only time we went up to do it was in port when it was free…they had a sign in sheet and a scale and said the limit was 300 lbs.  when did you go?  

It was March on odyssey 2023

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

No! There are myriad medical issues that preclude some people from losing weight. Thank you for conceding selected discrimination is warranted. 

I am not saying that .If a person becomes obese from overeating then said person can reverse their problem by dieting.

13 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Who exactly do you think is being discriminatory? I am confused as to who you are actually blaming.

Most of this thread is based on speculation.  Certainly no one here knows the answer as to who is setting the restrictions. As already stated, I doubt the cruise line is actively trying to stop people from buying excursions.

As far as OP @cruiseorcampis concerned, and their original question, lots of independent vendors in Cozumel where you can probably buy direct. Of course that does then leave the question as to whether they are actually insured or not.  

If you have a specific activity in mind try the port of call board on CC for suggestions and advice.

On 10/1/2023 at 12:11 AM, brillohead said:

For a port like Cozumel, just book a private excursion.  You'll have a better and cheaper experience anyway.

We have gone with local operators in the past; however, after having nearly missed the ship 2X, DH will only agree to ship excursions.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruiseorcamp said:

We have gone with local operators in the past; however, after having nearly missed the ship 2X, DH will only agree to ship excursions.

Yep!  We were over 2 hours late getting back to the dock in Panama, actually Colon, the ship was there and waiting on us.  It was an excursion we booked through the cruise line.  Otherwise, we would have been S*%# out of luck.  That was my very first cruise ever and I was and still am glad that we did what we did.  I'll NEVER book an excursion that isn't a cruise line-offered excursion.  

2 hours ago, cruiseorcamp said:

That's one of the reasons that I specified "for a port like Cozumel" in my response.  As long as you don't go to the mainland (that ferry is notorious for being very late), and as long as you don't get drunk and pass out somewhere, the island is small enough that even if you get a flat tire or something, it's easy enough to get alternate transportation back in a timely manner. 

Some ports have limited access to taxis, some ports have problems with traffic jams in the afternoons, etc., but the island is small enough and modern enough that those just aren't issues in that location.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brillohead said:

That's one of the reasons that I specified "for a port like Cozumel" in my response.  As long as you don't go to the mainland (that ferry is notorious for being very late), and as long as you don't get drunk and pass out somewhere, the island is small enough that even if you get a flat tire or something, it's easy enough to get alternate transportation back in a timely manner. 

Some ports have limited access to taxis, some ports have problems with traffic jams in the afternoons, etc., but the island is small enough and modern enough that those just aren't issues in that location.

Without knowing the type of excursions @cruiseorcamp is interested in it is difficult to advise further.  

I agree in the main that unless it is a mainland excursion, which I would definitely do through the ship (although for me personally I would only do them from a mainland vacation because the time constraints don’t justify the costs), there is unlikely to be a problem within the island. 

Many, not all, ship excursions activities use shared taxis for transportation anyway. There are so many taxis in the main tourist areas they are lined up waiting or can easily call for back-up UNLESS it is an excursion to the east side where cell service and electricity are limited.

• Like 1

We have already encountered this age "thing" for a non ship excursion in April 2024 for my husband who is actually turning 60 that day.  Cut off is 59.  I just changed the year of his birth.  And I will continue to do so in the future if needed.  

55 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Without knowing the type of excursions @cruiseorcamp is interested in it is difficult to advise further.  

I agree in the main that unless it is a mainland excursion, which I would definitely do through the ship (although for me personally I would only do them from a mainland vacation because the time constraints don’t justify the costs), there is unlikely to be a problem within the island. 

Many, not all, ship excursions activities use shared taxis for transportation anyway. There are so many taxis in the main tourist areas they are lined up waiting or can easily call for back-up UNLESS it is an excursion to the east side where cell service and electricity are limited.

I've seen a number of complaints about being too old for excursions in Cozumel.  Just FYI, I think Cozumel has one of the lower civil limits of liability (I think about $20K US).  Each Mexican state is different. Cabo has about $100K (makes it uncomfortable buying car insurance).  Not sure why Cozumel would have these restrictions and other ports don't.   

Start with the list of ship excursions.  Pick whatever you are most interested in.  Go to TripAdvisor, and identify strong private vendors.  Email them and tell them your age and be completely honest about your physical limitations (if any).  Ask them if your original excursion is a good choice or if there is an alternative activity they would recommend.  Long term, if you have any difficulty with mobility, there are also some tours that might not be accessible in a group setting but could work if you take a private tour for just your family.  

We took our 2 year old to Norway and he was able to hike to the glacier, but at a much slower pace.  Because we were traveling independently we were able to complete that excursion (in a group we would have needed to turn back sooner because we can't hold everyone else up).  The cruise lines are sometimes wrong about age limits for children - you just need to research the excursion and double check that it is safe for you.  and you'd need to find a private vendor if the ship won't let you participate.  And have a great trip!

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1