Live from Vista—Montreal to Miami

DrKoob

20 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

The single ply toilet paper on this ship is about the worst I have ever encountered.  I’ll bring my own next time. 

As much as I would like to endorse that idea, regular two ply toilet paper clogs ship's pipes badly. That's why what we have is so crappy (pun intended.😜)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Curious as to whether the layout of the stateroom is comfortable. Has the size adjustment after a few days brought you to be able to enjoy your stateroom as much?  We tend to spend time on our balcony more than inside, but I am curious as to how you are enjoying yours after the initial thoughts.

We always sailed in PV on Viking so I understand the comparison. Our stateroom on Seabourn wasn’t quite as large, but the layout was great and didn’t feel small at all. We are booked on Marina, but with an extended balcony, so different ship and likely a very different comparison. 

From what my long-time Oceania friends tell me, Marina is only slightly different than Vista and his stateroom is basically the same. We have an extended verandah, and it is just fine. This cruise does not lend itself to sitting outside. A little cool. This stateroom is like any other traditional verandah stateroom we have had at sea on a typical cruise with X, HAL or RCL, except that the extra square feet listed are pretty much all taken up by the bathroom to the detriment mostly of storage. If you are used to the PV size and storage, you will be sorely disappointed. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

We’ve sailed on SAGA too. We haven’t been on SofA, but we sailed on her sister ship SofD (Spirit of Discovery ).

You will love the Vista. Lots of different places to eat.

The time will fly by.

Enjoy your cruise.

I would agree that this ship (and maybe this entire cruise line) is all about the food. Amazing food.

• Like 5

Re: DrKoob's comment on walking tracks -- is there much of a track on R class ships? We will be on Regatta in April with 3 sea days, so I will really want a place to walk.

I'm another cruiser enjoying Dr.Koob's posts. We enjoyed a similar itinerary a few years ago on HAL.

Edited by jklc123
addition
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

Re: DrKoob's comment on walking tracks -- is there much of a track on R class ships? We will be on Regatta in April with 3 sea days, so I will really want a place to walk.

Walk around the  track on above  the pool  

Many walk on that deck on the other ships as well

Marina Riviera & Vista have a track around the funnel  but  more windy up there

1 hour ago, Wheelhouse said:

The single ply toilet paper on this ship is about the worst I have ever encountered.  I’ll bring my own next time. 

The "crappy" TP is bad for a reason: It breaks up more easily than "normal" TP, which reduces the risk of clogging. And when you clog your toilet, you could clog the system and, by extension, the toilets in the cabins around you. I'm guessing you would not appreciate returning to your cabin after an excursion to find someone has caused the plumbing in your cabin to malfunction because they require a more luxurious bathroom experience.

Edited by GerryL13
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

As much as I would like to endorse that idea, regular two ply toilet paper clogs ship's pipes badly. That's why what we have is so crappy (pun intended.😜)

IIRC @chengkp75, a retired chief engineer with something like 47 years at sea has debunked that statement on numerous occasions.  The vacuum system on  cruise ships can apparently handle two ply toilet paper without problem. The primary reason for using the cheap stuff is that it's cheap.

Perhaps the chief will see this post and either confirm what I've said, or slap me upside the head (pun intended) for misquoting him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

I'm another cruiser enjoying Dr.Koob's posts. We enjoyed a similar itinerary a few years ago on HAL.

Fairly small since it is a rather small ship. I saw somewhere else that someone had thought from what they recall that 16 laps equals one mile. 

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

I would agree that this ship (and maybe this entire cruise line) is all about the food. Amazing food.

Remember that Oceania has trademarked the advertising slogan "The finest cuisine at sea"  so yes, it's always been a food centric  cruise line.

I live on an acreage with a septic system.  I've been using Scott single ply tissue for about 20 years.  I want to keep my septic tank in good working order.  A hundred years ago I would have been going to an outhouse and using a Sears and Roebuck catalog as toilet paper.  My butt has adjusted and I'm just glad for the things we have today.  I can't believe the things people like to complain about.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Fairly small since it is a rather small ship. I saw somewhere else that someone had thought from what they recall that 16 laps equals one mile. 

The one here on Vista is 1/10th of a mile. Did 40 laps today. 

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

16 laps! I might get dizzy! Thanks for the replies.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

IIRC @chengkp75, a retired chief engineer with something like 47 years at sea has debunked that statement on numerous occasions.  The vacuum system on  cruise ships can apparently handle two ply toilet paper without problem. The primary reason for using the cheap stuff is that it's cheap.

Perhaps the chief will see this post and either confirm what I've said, or slap me upside the head (pun intended) for misquoting him.

If that were the case -- cheapness being the primary reason -- then they wouldn't object to passengers providing their own TP. But I've seen that they ask you NOT to bring your own.

Everyone, I realize that single ply is preferred by all ships, but that doesn’t make it any more functional.  Anyway, while on the subject of bathrooms I believe a new feature is the electric eye outside of the public restrooms.  You wave your hand in front of it and the door opens with no touch.  Likewise the egress is similar.  It’s a neat simple feature.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GerryL13 said:

If that were the case -- cheapness being the primary reason -- then they wouldn't object to passengers providing their own TP. But I've seen that they ask you NOT to bring your own.

I've looked at a number of cruise lines' lists of items that you are not permitted to bring on board and I can't find any that name toilet paper as a prohibited item.

I can't find any such prohibition in Oceania's Guest Ticket Contract or in their FAQs:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2023-08/oceania-guest-ticket-contract-us.pdf

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005475473-What-Not-To-Bring-On-Board

Corporate sibling NCL publishes an extensive list of prohibited items. Toilet paper isn't one of them:

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Corporate sibling Regent Seven Seas...nothing there either:

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/you-sail

I checked Carnival's prohibited list. I don't see anything there either:

https://www.carnival.com/help

Royal Caribbean? No:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/guest-terms/guest-health-safety-and-conduct-policy/english/

One more thing: Many years ago the first time I sailed in a suite on Celebrity it was quite obvious that the quality of the toilet paper in our suite bore no resemblance to what was provided in steerage. The suite paper was multi ply.

12 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Change directions 8 laps in to undizzy yourself!!! 🤣

No, please don't. While I love the laugh, and I know you meant to be funny, they have a sign asking that people walk counter-clockwise on the track. Otherwise there are two corners where you can't see what is ahead until you turn the corner and run right into someone. Yesterday during my walk I had to point out the sign to at least four people who hadn't seen it and almost ran into me. I am fairly big and walk fairly fast. It would not have been good for them...or me.😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dr Koob. Enjoy all of your comments. We are sailing on Vista in January and I was wondering if that smart tv would allow me to "wirelessly" connect my over the ear headset to the smart TV? Maybe you could ask some IT guy on board. How is the tv noise from adjacent cabins? I kinda keep the tv volume a little high.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

Dr Koob. Enjoy all of your comments. We are sailing on Vista in January and I was wondering if that smart tv would allow me to "wirelessly" connect my over the ear headset to the smart TV? Maybe you could ask some IT guy on board. How is the tv noise from adjacent cabins? I kinda keep the tv volume a little high.

We are currently onboard Vista and were unable to connect via bluetooth to the TV.  We have heard nothing from the cabins either side of us...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

You really can't connect anything. Nor change a whole lot. You would need to be able to get into the Settings on the televisions, and they have those blocked on the remotes in the rooms. We wanted to find a way to make the picture brighter last night and discovered there was no way to access the settings. 

Yes, we have been getting bleed-through sound from the stateroom next door when their television is on. One of the problems with today's flat-screen TVs is that the speakers point to the walls. So when the sound comes out it comes out towards the walls (unless you have a sound bar, which these don't). So if you play it fairly loud, you are going to disturb those next door. Luckily for us, our neighbors keep theirs fairly low so we can only hear it when we are in silence. And they turn theirs off early (as do we).

• Thanks 1