Formal Nights

mlsetc

Hello all, new to Princess. Have British Isles booked for next summer. My paperwork says 3 formal nights, how formal are these nights? My past experience is with NCL and Royal, their formal nights are very relaxed. 

And here we go again!

No disrespect to you asking, mlsetc. These formal night threads have the potential to become disputatious.

I'd go with what Princess recommends, not because the suggestions say so, but because in our experience, British Isle cruises tend to be a bit dressier than, let's say, a Caribbean cruise. OTOH, it's your vacation, which you shouldn't feel pressured to dress if you don't want to. 

Just don't wear shorts or T shirt, ball cap in the dining room. I have seen a guy refused at the door.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

There are loads of threads, recent ones, that discuss this. Why not do a search to see if it is being discussed already? You will get a lot of info 🙂 

8 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

And here we go again!

No disrespect to you asking, mlsetc. These formal night threads have the potential to become disputatious.

I'd go with what Princess recommends, not because the suggestions say so, but because in our experience, British Isle cruises tend to be a bit dressier than, let's say, a Caribbean cruise. OTOH, it's your vacation, which you shouldn't feel pressured to dress if you don't want to. 

Just don't wear shorts or T shirt, ball cap in the dining room. I have seen a guy refused at the door.

And I would respectfully disagree with you. Wear shorts and t-shirts if you want - our B2B2B in the Mediterranean in June.. plenty of others were. Including Formal Night. I even ditched my suit and did the same on the 6th formal night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
38 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

And I would respectfully disagree with you. Wear shorts and t-shirts if you want - our B2B2B in the Mediterranean in June.. plenty of others were. Including Formal Night. I even ditched my suit and did the same on the 6th formal night. 

I still think it should be smart casual though.

It’s so easy.  If you enjoy looking nice and feel good about it and your significant other enjoys the same then go for it.  If you don’t care what you look like and neither does your significant other, then trust me nobody else cares either.  It’s all a matter of what makes you feel good.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mlsetc said:

Hello all, new to Princess. Have British Isles booked for next summer. My paperwork says 3 formal nights, how formal are these nights? My past experience is with NCL and Royal, their formal nights are very relaxed. 

Ok ignore the downwardly stylish pax who will opine with incorrect comments.Wear As most do dress down on other lines especially in Australian & US ports of call, In Europe & the British isles they tend to dress much more formally on formal nights. Saga/Cunard are pretty rigid on these voyages.That being said you will see more tuxes & gowns in this region. A nice suit will be fine as well.The rest of the cruise is smart casual. This does not mean a less ripped pair of jeans at night. I suggest you view Princess on Youtube & list the British Isles.It will give you an idea.

9 hours ago, voljeep said:

our Regal formal night - long sleeved, button down casual shirt - untucked, black linen pants, black on black leather tennis shoes.  No jacket, no tie, no problem.

Hope that helps

Figures. It's England not the Caribbean stop give wrong information.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Will be on Regal Princess next week. 

I have taken a sports jacket which I will wear with dress pants, dress shirt and tie. 

Other nights will be more casual.

Hope that helps. 

That should be fine. No tux needed, but English pax tend to dress better than US pax on British cruises.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mlsetc said:

how formal are these nights?

As formal or informal as you would like them to be for you and your SO.  Try to go with Smart Casual minimum and you will be fine.  Also fine with tux and gown, top hat and tails, plus cane (seen that as well).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

As formal or informal as you would like them to be for you and your SO.  Try to go with Smart Casual minimum and you will be fine.  Also fine with tux and gown, top hat and tails, plus cane (seen that as well).

Even on my Cunard cruises never saw top hat & tails.I did wear a Bowler on those cruises

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Even on my Cunard cruises never saw top hat & tails.I did wear a Bowler on those cruises

Saw it on just one PCL voyage.  I am serious - it was a surprise and quite the costume for sure, even for FN.  But it's all good - they were enjoying it so NP at all.  The gentleman was formally dressed (suit and tie) on the SC nights.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Saw it on just one PCL voyage.  I am serious - it was a surprise and quite the costume for sure, even for FN.  But it's all good - they were enjoying it so NP at all.  The gentleman was formally dressed (suit and tie) on the SC nights.

Hi Gregg,

I never seen the gentleman but I like his style! 👍

The Captain of The Rowboat,

‘Tony

Guest Snaxmuppet
4 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

It's good that we can agree to disagree 🙂 

Always 🙂

Except that I am not the only one that considers any old tatty clothes or sports gear is acceptable in the MDR at any time for dinner let alone on Formal nights. Talking to people I believe that most people expect a smartish casual as a minimum. 

So yes, of course we can agree to disagree but that doesn't mean that anything goes in the MDR. Princess may set the guidelines but it down to us, passengers, to decide whether to follow them or not.

So I would say to the OP smart casual is going to be fine on all nights and you can dress up on formal nights (or any other night for that matter) if you wish. There is no pressure.

14 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Always 🙂

Except that I am not the only one that considers any old tatty clothes or sports gear is acceptable in the MDR at any time for dinner let alone on Formal nights. Talking to people I believe that most people expect a smartish casual as a minimum. 

So yes, of course we can agree to disagree but that doesn't mean that anything goes in the MDR. Princess may set the guidelines but it down to us, passengers, to decide whether to follow them or not.

So I would say to the OP smart casual is going to be fine on all nights and you can dress up on formal nights (or any other night for that matter) if you wish. There is no pressure.

Doesn't really matter what you and I think though.. 🙂 Facts are.. people can and are doing what they want. And maybe "anything goes" isn't quite there yet.. but shorts and polo shirts definitely are acceptable now. Is what it is. I think Princess bought it upon themselves when they ditched Traditional dining and went for the more casual approach. 

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

Doesn't really matter what you and I think though.. 🙂 Facts are.. people can and are doing what they want. And maybe "anything goes" isn't quite there yet.. but shorts and polo shirts definitely are acceptable now. Is what it is. I think Princess bought it upon themselves when they ditched Traditional dining and went for the more casual approach. 

You are correct... we are just chewing over the issues here and in most ways it doesn't matter what we think. But ultimately it is us, the passengers in general, that determines what goes and what doesn't and so we need to make our views known and so I will continue to do that. You are very much entitled to your opinion and I respect that but it doesn't make you right 🙂

I would like there to be some dress standards remain on Princess in the MDR for dinner. It doesn't have to be much... just a button-down shirt or a polo, chinos, tailored shorts... even jeans if they are just normal jeans. What I object to is sports gear, sports shorts, etc. If you allow that then what is to stop anyone from doing a workout and turning up at the MDR for dinner all hot and sweaty? That isn't nice for those around them. A sensible dress code is just about respect towards your fellow diners.

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised about the erosion of standards... it is the modern way to have little respect for others and so why should this be any different.

If people wanted to dress and behave like they were on a RCI or a Disney cruise then perhaps they should have booked one instead of trying to turn Princess into something it isn't.

What I am totally amazed at is why there is such a reluctance to follow sensible dress codes. Is it some kind of challenge to being told what to do?

3 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

I’ve seen people turned away for trying to wear shorts in the MDR several times in the last year. No one can predict whether the no shorts policy will be enforced on any ship on any given night. If eating in the MDR is important to a passenger, they should plan accordingly.and make sure to pack pants.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, mlsetc said:

From the sound of your post, it sounds as though you'd feel uncomfortable unless you dress up to please the formalists in the crowd. Then by all means, drag along the formal clothing to please them. It'll make their dining experience more enjoyable.

On the other hand, half the crowd will dress to please themselves by dressing casually with some possibly even wearing shorts. 

It's your choice. Princess will allow just about anything lately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

On the other hand, half the crowd will dress to please themselves by dressing casually with some possibly even wearing shorts. 

It's your choice. Princess will allow just about anything lately. 

That is the problem right there... the people that want to wear anything they want only think of themselves. Rather selfish IMO.