I guess Celebrity isn't the only cruise line whose food quality is going downhill.

Stockjock

On 10/4/2023 at 10:34 AM, calicakes said:

From what I have heard, edge class has better food than s or m class.

Interesting!  I was wondering about that.

Can other Celebrity cruisers who have sailed on Edge class ships and another Celebrity class ship-both very recently comment specifically on that?  I noticed a significant downgrade in Sept on menu choices and food quality on Celebrity Summit and wondered if it is the same in new class ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander500 said:

Can other Celebrity cruisers who have sailed on Edge class ships and another Celebrity class ship-both very recently comment specifically on that?  I noticed a significant downgrade in Sept on menu choices and food quality on Celebrity Summit and wondered if it is the same in new class ships.

We're taking our first Edge class cruise in February. I will also report back. I will also live blog as the cruise is a GBR cruise from Sydney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While not recent, my July Apex 12 nights cruise had far better MDR food than my February Solstice 7 nights cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kwokpot said:

While not recent, my July Apex 12 nights cruise had far better MDR food than my February Solstice 7 nights cruise. 

Thanks!  Good to know. Our only booked cruise right now is on an Ascent TA this coming spring and 13 nights with the "new menus" we just experienced for 11 nights would not be something to favorably anticipate.

Hoping others will comment as well

I'm not sure I'm "recent" but here is my experience the last couple years.  We typically take a spring & fall cruise & have done a mix of E-Class & S-Class ships.

21 - Edge / Reflection

22 - Equinox / Apex

23 - Beyond / Someone else's ship

We were booked a suite, so mostly ate at Lumanie but also had one meal in the MDR plus the OVC for some meals.

The Edge Lumanie was incredible.  As was Apex & Beyond.  For the Reflection & Equinox - the service was impeccable.  The Reflection food was enjoyable but tasted like a chef cooking someone else's recipes.  However, the MDR dishes on the Reflection were very enjoyable.  The Equinox was a better in Lumanie but the MDR dishes were disappointing.  (Yes - the E-class has their own Lumanie Kitchens vs a retro fit on the S-Class).  Speciality dining was fantastic on the Edge, Reflection & Equinox; but underwhelming on the Apex.

One thing we noticed though, Celebrity takes their A team to their new ships.  Due to timing I guess, our Butler on the Reflection has just got notified he was going to be on the Beyond's Opening team.  He was elated!  One of our waiters on the Edge had gotten notice we was bring transferred to the Apex (also thrilled) and several of our Beyond waiters were hoping to be transferred to the Ascent (they had recently applied).  All were really excited to be on the new ship opening teams.  And it makes sense because the new ships are going to attract Celebrity Regulars but also the new people trying Celebrity; so they want to give them the best they can.  I don't think the older ships are getting less necessarily but they may be newer employees / used for training up employees.  I do think there is some rank based on newness of the ship.  But keep in mind, one our Edge waiters (who opened the Edge) parlayed his good marks to become a head waiter on a M-Class Ship. 

• Thanks 2

I’ve been on CC since 2016 and one theme has been constant: “the food is getting worse”. I’m a repeat customer on two lines: Princess (7 years) and Carnival (14). i don’t think their food quality has gone downhill at all. The portions in the MDR might have gotten smaller. I haven’t measured, but I’m certainly not going hungry.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I agree .I've been on Royal and Celebrity, and haven't seen a reduction in quality. Some reduction in portion size, and choices, but not quality, so if I'm hungry, I just ask for seconds.

If you mean quality of service or preparation, I can see that. If you mean quality of ingredients, then I would respectfully disagree. I’m referring only to Celebrity as it’s been a loooong time since I’ve sailed on Royal. 

On 10/7/2023 at 6:32 PM, RichYak said:

If you mean quality of service or preparation, I can see that. If you mean quality of ingredients, then I would respectfully disagree. I’m referring only to Celebrity as it’s been a loooong time since I’ve sailed on Royal. 

In the MDR, Celebrity has gotten rid of all hot and cold appetizers with the exception of soup or salad. They still have escargot but that is it. I would call that a serious degradation of what has normally been offered.

• Like 1

Have been on a half dozen cruises on four different lines, this past 18 months. Most MDR meals were beautifully plated, however…tasteless…I’m bringing garlic salt on board for an upcoming world cruise. I’m not a foodie, do not eat dessert, thus the main entry is important. I’ve actually ordered two appetizers in place of the main tasteless serving. Oh no! No appetizers?
Surely ships can afford seasoning. 

Edited by rtdiva

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 11:32 AM, C 2 C said:

We were on Zaandam in May as well.  The MDR was great, the Lido a bit lacking.

We did 17 days on HAL Koningsdam last January. The MDR dinners were outstanding- in flavor, variety, preparation & temperature, and a fresh fish choice every night.  Desserts were lush and appreciated the low to no sugar options. We don’t eat at buffets or the burgers, but offerings at NY DELI as well as the two speciality restaurants we always choose were truly fabulous- the food and the service. (Tamarind & Pinnacle Grill) . 

• Like 1

Was on the Equinox in September. We sail Aqua so Blu was our dining room. Service was exceptional and most times food was very good. My only complaint was 3 nights I ordered from MDR because the choices were limited on the Blu menu. There is no steak on menu every night as there is on the MDR menu. Food at the buffet IMO was not as good as it has been.