Fuel Surcharge

ledges1

It's been a long time since it kicked in before but I seem to remember it didnt kick in before until oil hit 120. It cant even hold 90 right now. Unless china gets going I dont see the pressure to even hit 100 right now. Why worry about something unlikely right now. 

42 minutes ago, gazingm42 said:

While we seen this before several years ago.

Now that some ships are using LNG will those Pax be effected by the Diesel upcharge?

For the records the ships can use both LNG and crude and no 2.  Not the same, but if the surcharge was applied it is (and was) applied across the board, not per ship.  That said, your post does bring up the fact that some (not many) ships use KNG and it may be a factor in them potentially adding a surcharge.

32 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

If the cruise line starts applying the fuel charge many of the tips. people will withdraw  

I can clearly see that correlation. Oil prices force lines to charge for the increased cost of that fuel and cruisers remove tips because……absolutely no logical reason.  Yup, that makes sense….. or actually not….at ….all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I can clearly see that correlation. Oil prices force lines to charge for the increased cost of that fuel and cruisers remove tips because……absolutely no logical reason.  Yup, that makes sense….. or actually not….at ….all

I would prob bet against you on this. Odds are you raise prices on people after they pay - they find ways to get value. Not all but enough… money correlates to money - logical. 

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

For the records the ships can use both LNG and crude and no 2.  Not the same, but if the surcharge was applied it is (and was) applied across the board, not per ship.  That said, your post does bring up the fact that some (not many) ships use KNG and it may be a factor in them potentially adding a surcharge.

And, for the record, the ships are never 100% on LNG.  Marine diesels using LNG fuel have to use 5% diesel or residual fuel to get the LNG to ignite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I would prob bet against you on this. Odds are you raise prices on people after they pay - they find ways to get value. Not all but enough… money correlates to money - logical. 

Prob would be the safest bet (betting against me).

28 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, for the record, the ships are never 100% on LNG.  Marine diesels using LNG fuel have to use 5% diesel or residual fuel to get the LNG to ignite.

As always appreciate the expertise and comments.

If you are booked a year and a half out, how would Carnival collect this SURCHARGE ? Give you the option to pay that added surcharge OR cancel your cruise with full refund ? Put the surcharge on your onboard account ?

If this happens, using your tips to cover the added cost is idiotic, at best. And easily perceived as just plain cruel. Apparently Carnival has, but I don't ever remember them doing this.

Edited by glrounds

2 hours ago, glrounds said:

If you are booked a year and a half out, how would Carnival collect this SURCHARGE ? Give you the option to pay that added surcharge OR cancel your cruise with full refund ? Put the surcharge on your onboard account ?

If this happens, using your tips to cover the added cost is idiotic, at best. And easily perceived as just plain cruel. Apparently Carnival has, but I don't ever remember them doing this.

It's all spelled out in Carnival's TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF CONTRACT.  Perhaps you didn't read it ?

They will just add it to your S&S account.

Section 1. 

1. DEFINITIONS AND SCOPE OF CONTRACT

Sub-section (d)

(d) Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges, security surcharges, or similar incidental surcharges (“surcharges”); subject to applicable laws, Carnival reserves the right to impose or pass any of these surcharges and no right of cancellation shall be implied. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes collected are subject to change. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement of up to $9.00 USD, or its equivalent in foreign currency, per person per day, without prior notice, in the event that the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is greater than $70.00 USD per barrel of oil. Carnival may collect any fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1