Matching Status

Butterbean1000

54 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

MSC is the only one I know of that will do a match with anyones loyalty club.    Royal has one with Celebrity.    But I don't think any of the Carnival Corp brands do a status match

Well, darn.  We're looking at Princess.  I would think they would match loyalty status because they are part of the same corporation.

4 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Well, darn.  We're looking at Princess.  I would think they would match loyalty status because they are part of the same corporation.

That has been a long sought after perk amongst Carnival cruisers to "transfer" status between CCL brands. It is brought up occasionally here on CC. Unfortunately it has gone nowhere.

I believe that Royal and Celebrity have "portable" status since they are under the same umbrella parent company, but I could be wrong. Along with MSC, I think Virgin offered status match for a short while after the restart to bump up bookings, but I am not sure if they still do.

I wish CCL would allow "portable" status between brands but the higher tiers at HAL and Princess and other upper eschelon CCL brands would likely squawk at that idea. At Princess, I believe your status is based on number of cruises, not cruise days, so you can gain status there quicker than you would be able to on Carnival. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chocolate melting cake said:

I don't know if this affects you, Butterbean 1000, but--although the other CCL brands will not match your status, if you have over 100 shares of CCL stock they will give OBC equivalent to Carnival.

Makes sense - the stock is for Carnival Corporation, not Carnival Cruise Line alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chocolate melting cake said:

I don't know if this affects you, Butterbean 1000, but--although the other CCL brands will not match your status, if you have over 100 shares of CCL stock they will give OBC equivalent to Carnival.

Purchasing CCL is the stock for the parent company, which includes Carnival, Holland America, Princess, et al.

So you are buying stock in the holding company, not the individual cruise line.

1 hour ago, stobe1 said:

I believe that Royal and Celebrity have "portable" status since they are under the same umbrella parent company, but I could be wrong.

Correct. There's reciprocal status, but only up to a certain level. Additionally, they are still 2 separate loyalty programs and a matched tier status doesn't confer any points, so if you're new to one or the other cruiseline you start with zero points even if you matched status level, which means you will need all the total required cruise points to move from the matched tier status to the next level. 

Edited by kwokpot

14 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Correct. There's reciprocal status, but only up to a certain level. Additionally, they are still 2 separate loyalty programs and a matched tier status doesn't confer any points, so if you're new to one or the other cruiseline you start with zero points even if you matched status level, which means you will need all the total required cruise points to move from the matched tier status to the next level. 

Actually the big wigs are talking about combining celebrity and royal loyalty programs. I hope they dont touch it until I hit pinnacle on royal. .. but there are threads discussing this in the last 2 weeks on cc. 

You can match up to diamond coming from celebrity, agree not the top tiers. I matched elite on celebrity. 

23 hours ago, stobe1 said:

At Princess, I believe your status is based on number of cruises, not cruise days, so you can gain status there quicker than you would be able to on Carnival. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Princess counts days and cruises, whichever gets you to the next level faster.  Princess also gives double credit for cruises (not days) sailed single occupancy or in a full suite.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stobe1 said:

Purchasing CCL is the stock for the parent company, which includes Carnival, Holland America, Princess, et al.

So you are buying stock in the holding company, not the individual cruise line.

I think CUK (Carnival UK) is the parent company, CCL is Carnival Cruise Lines only.

4 hours ago, sgttami said:

It was nice to sail for the first(and only) time on MSC and use my Diamond Plus status from RCL to get some good perks.

and if you don't complete a cruise on MSC within 3 years, they boot you from the program. every 3 years.

1 hour ago, Sailor75 said:

I think CUK (Carnival UK) is the parent company, CCL is Carnival Cruise Lines only.

Nope.  Carnival Corporation (US stock symbol CCL) is dual listed in the US and UK and is the parent company of all the Carnival Corporation brands.  There is no US vs. UK parent company.

7 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Nope.  Carnival Corporation (US stock symbol CCL) is dual listed in the US and UK and is the parent company of all the Carnival Corporation brands.  There is no US vs. UK parent company.

Yes that is correct. CCL is the stock symbol. Carnival Corp. is the actual parent company. I think when most of us say CCL when not referring to stock we mean Carnival Corp. At least I do for Cruise Critic short hand. 

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival Corp is dual listed in the UK and the US. Neither is the parent of the other.

7 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I never realized that, I guess I was wrong. I'm glad you both let me know.

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

and if you don't complete a cruise on MSC within 3 years, they boot you from the program. every 3 years.

Fine for me.  No desire to cruise them again.  Had a good time but once was enough!