Onward Library ?

cruisermsoon

7 minutes ago, cruisermsoon said:

On Azamara ships the Drawing Room hosts the Library, however on the Onward this room is devoted to the Atlas Bar. 

My question is: Does Onward have a library? and: If so, where is it located?

Books are in the Living Room.

Been on all four Azamara ships in the last year, and over four score since inception, and to my mind the conversion of the library on Onward from a classy upmarket space to a small elitist cocktail bar chasing revenue demeans the Azamara product and removes something which distinguishes them from other lines, makes the BOB evening and other events less special, and removes an intimate event space. Please do not do this to the other ships, the library is a special feature of Azamara, cocktail bars are not, and Azamara is an unique cruise line.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

But likely more current.

It wasn’t in my experience. It also was less because it hasn’t got all the lovely hardbacks one of the guests has delivered to the other three ships 

2 hours ago, alfredo1 said:

.....to my mind the conversion of the library on Onward from a classy upmarket space to a small elitist cocktail bar chasing revenue demeans the Azamara product and removes something which distinguishes them from other lines, makes the BOB evening and other events less special, and removes an intimate event space.....

I agree entirely, we sailed May this year and it just seemed pointless to have this elitist bar totally lacking in atmosphere and generally frequented by few!

• Like 3

Libraries don't seem to be a high priority for cruise lines now. Holland America used to have very well stocked libraries on all their ships, but on the new Pinnacle Class ships, they are reduced to a few Atlases and large glossy volumes, and the "library" is mainly soft cover novels discarded by passengers.

1 hour ago, cruisermsoon said:

Libraries don't seem to be a high priority for cruise lines now. Holland America used to have very well stocked libraries on all their ships, but on the new Pinnacle Class ships, they are reduced to a few Atlases and large glossy volumes, and the "library" is mainly soft cover novels discarded by passengers.

At least Azamara has a secondary "library" with an extensive collection of travel guidebooks, located near the shorex desk.  I was amazed at how thorough that collection was on Journey, and others have reported seeing similar collections on other Azamara ships.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, alfredo1 said:

Been on all four Azamara ships in the last year, and over four score since inception, and to my mind the conversion of the library on Onward from a classy upmarket space to a small elitist cocktail bar chasing revenue demeans the Azamara product and removes something which distinguishes them from other lines, makes the BOB evening and other events less special, and removes an intimate event space. Please do not do this to the other ships, the library is a special feature of Azamara, cocktail bars are not, and Azamara is an unique cruise line.

What is the BOB evening? I saw it on the schedule when I was booking specialty dining on arrival. I meant to ask them what it stands for but forgot.

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What is the BOB evening? I saw it on the schedule when I was booking specialty dining on arrival. I meant to ask them what it stands for but forgot.

Best of the Best. It’s a dinner for those in the top suites 

• Thanks 1

I think the library is not used all that much, at least in my experience.   Most times I have gone in there, it is empty.   It was nice to have a large selection of books, but these days, I’d much rather read on my e-reader anyways.

We really enjoyed the Atlas Bar when we were on the Onward, but if you don’t have the Ultimate beverage package, the featured cocktails are a bit pricey.   I did miss the piano though - I get up early in the mornings and play it on the other ships if there’s no one else around.

• Like 2