Dress code on Viking River cruise

Steerpike58

We took a Viking Ocean cruise last year, and enjoyed the relaxed, casual atmosphere. I did take ONE long-sleeved collared shirt and 1 pr trousers just for the few specialty restaurants but otherwise, I preferred shorts, khaki's, and polo shirts.  Now we are about to embark on our first Viking River cruise, and I wondered if the same general approach applies - can I get away with casual gear most of the time? I'll be taking one pair of trousers (non-jeans) again, and a few long-sleeved shirts, so I hope that's good enough! 

We went on Europe river cruise with Scenic - but  I expect dress codes much the same on Viking.

Weather was warm - low 20's to low 30's throughout the 2 weeks.

Day dress was casual and dinner dress maybe slightly smarter casual

Some people dressed up a bit for dinner, some not. About 1/4 of men shorts at dinner - not skimpy gym shorts of course but  cargo type almost to the knee  ones.

Before going I read that jeans at dinner were a faux pas - but reality said otherwise, jeans at dinner were not at all uncommon, men and women

There were a couple of dressier occasions - the captains welcome and farewell dinners and one night we went out to a concert in the evening- men wore smart collared shirts and chino type pants, with or without jacket, women wore smart dresses or pants with dressy top

A few men wore ties at these occasions but majority did not

so, yes, you will get away with casual gear most of the time and your good trousers and smart shirt for the few times you need to go step further.

• Thanks 1

We don't travel with jeans because we don't find them comfortable for flights, and they are heavy in the luggage, so we would never be seen wearing jeans at dinner.

We come back from our day of excursions and whatever, freshen up and change to clean clothes for the evening.  This is generally what we will wear the next day on excursions.  

You can read between the lines that we are very casual on a river ship, but on the dressier side of casual.  Most of our clothes are travel type clothes that don't wrinkle and look good in the evening, or on excursion.

And, even though I do agree that Viking Ocean is a bit dressier for dinner than Viking River, the clothes that we wear pass on both River and Ocean at night.

There is so much available now in the market that I consider travel clothing that looks good during the day and in the evening, that you don't need to be worried about dress code.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 1:38 AM, Steerpike58 said:

can I get away with casual gear most of the time? I'll be taking one pair of trousers (non-jeans) again, and a few long-sleeved shirts, so I hope that's good enough! 

You can wear casual ALL of the time. Long trousers and long sleeve shirts are plenty good. There's no formal nights, no speciality restaurants.

This is what is on the Viking River Tours FAQ

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; recommended evening dress is “elegant casual.” For ladies, this may include a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; and for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional. 

Some shore excursions visit religious sites that require modesty of dress. To avoid being denied entry, we recommend men wear long pants and refrain from sleeveless shirts; and for women, clothing that covers the knees and tops that are not sleeveless or too revealing.

Note the words 'recommended' and 'may'. It's your holiday, wear what you're comfortable in. The indoor public areas  are airconditioned

I've been on 12 Viking River cruise. Having been retired now some years I like to have an excuse to dress up with a shirt, tie and jacket at dinner, but I'm in the minority. It doesn't bother me what others wear and to be frank I don't notice. (Except  on one cruise where a chap wore a filthy baseball cap indoors at every meal)

20230426_predinner-fizz-small.jpg

Edited by pontac

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from our river cruise, and I can report that the general level of 'dress' was extremely casual the entire trip!  One memorable guy wore a tee-shirt and shorts every day, and several others wore shorts to dinner. Jeans were commonplace at dinner. We ate mostly in the Aquavit, maybe that was more casual but regardless, there were tons of jeans and shorts on display at night. One or two folks clearly made an effort to dress up for the evening cocktails and dinner, but they were a small minority. 

yes, that sounds similar to our Scenic river cruise experience.

We had warm evenings and perhaps 1/4 of men wore shorts at dinner and jeans were not at all unusual at dinners.

I dont think Scenic cafe is open at dinner, only breakfast and lunch (if it was, we never went there in the evening) and so dress code I am refering to is in main dining area.

Most people went dressier for the gala dinners and the evening off board concert - but by no means really formal. A minority of men wore ties at those times but most did not.

• 1 month later...

This is a good question and we just asked the question to our friend who just got home. He said he wore sweats and T-shirts the whole trip. I think that is "TOO" casual. So I am glad someone is answering the question more in depth. Looking forward to our first Viking next year.

We leave this Friday for Treasures of the Rhine and because of the time of the year - on the ship over Christmas - I hope that the dress is elevated from Sweats and t-shirts at dinner.  I will comment back after the cruise, or during...

I frankly don't care about breakfast and lunch, but I personally feel that dinner should be elevated somewhat...

• Like 3

well that's the thing - the river cruise companies state a dress code of casual - so that includes sweats, t-shirts, shorts at dinner.

I guess, because of the time of year, you are less likely to see shorts and more likely to see sweatshirts  - but all those things are within the stated dress code.

Of course you yourself don't have to dress that casual - but knowing that is the dress code, you cant expect all other people to not do so.

10 hours ago, Kristelle said:

well that's the thing - the river cruise companies state a dress code of casual - so that includes sweats, t-shirts, shorts at dinner.

I guess, because of the time of year, you are less likely to see shorts and more likely to see sweatshirts  - but all those things are within the stated dress code.

Of course you yourself don't have to dress that casual - but knowing that is the dress code, you cant expect all other people to not do so.

Agree and we get it.  

I can stomach most all types of clothing and do for the most part, but that does not stop me from looking at some folks and ask myself silently if they looked in a mirror before leaving their cabin, and wonder how they thought what they were wearing was even remotely appropriate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Agree and we get it.  

I can stomach most all types of clothing and do for the most part, but that does not stop me from looking at some folks and ask myself silently if they looked in a mirror before leaving their cabin, and wonder how they thought what they were wearing was even remotely appropriate.

but  tshirts , shorts and sweatshirts are appropriate - it is a casual dress code

You might feel that 'dinner should be elevated somewhat' and of course you can dress according to that  - but that isnt what the appropriate dress code requires.

Edited by Kristelle
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

but  tshirts , shorts and sweatshirts are appropriate - it is a casual dress code

You might feel that 'dinner should be elevated somewhat' and of course you can dress according to that  - but that isnt what the appropriate dress code requires.

When I say what I said, I am not talking about well fitting, clean, relatively new and in good condition t-shirts, shorts, and sweatshirts.  There should be some common sense used here.  I am talking about raggedy old ill fitting clothing that is for the back garden on a Saturday, not for a cruise ship dinner.  I have seen much of this that is inappropriate in my opinion.  

This is the same challenge that Corporate North America has with casual Friday.  Some understand what the dress code means and some do not.

• Like 1

But that's not what you said  before.

You said "I hope that the dress is elevated from Sweats and t-shirts at dinner."

Nothing about raggedy etc

I was responding to your first comment - and regarding that comment - no, dress code isnt elevated from tshirts and sweatshirts at dinner. Nor can you expect it to be, since that is within the stated dress code.

I'm not a mind reader - if that is what you state, that is what  I read. I dont know you meant anything else.

11 hours ago, Kristelle said:

But that's not what you said  before.

You said "I hope that the dress is elevated from Sweats and t-shirts at dinner."

Nothing about raggedy etc

I was responding to your first comment - and regarding that comment - no, dress code isnt elevated from tshirts and sweatshirts at dinner. Nor can you expect it to be, since that is within the stated dress code.

I'm not a mind reader - if that is what you state, that is what  I read. I dont know you meant anything else.

This is all interpretation.

This is direct from Viking River website re Dress Code.

Yes, it says "casual" but for evening it specifically states "elegant casual" with suggestions.  No where does it state that sweat pants and t-shirts are part of "elegant casual".

During the day dress is casual but again it does not go into detail.  At night it states what is acceptable for elegant casual.  

One of the problems and this has been discussed many times, is the ships do not enforce dress codes.

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; recommended evening dress is “elegant casual.” For ladies, this may include a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; and for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional. 

Some shore excursions visit religious sites that require modesty of dress. To avoid being denied entry, we recommend men wear long pants and refrain from sleeveless shirts; and for women, clothing that covers the knees and tops that are not sleeveless or too revealing.

Can't speak for Viking but  certainly on our Scenic cruise many  people wore tshirts and shorts at dinner and almost nobody wore ties except a few men on the couple of gala nights. 

The wording says "may include" - it isn't a mandatory thing. 

4 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Can't speak for Viking but  certainly on our Scenic cruise many  people wore tshirts and shorts at dinner and almost nobody wore ties except a few men on the couple of gala nights. 

The wording says "may include" - it isn't a mandatory thing. 

When it was 30C on our cruise with Avalon, lots were wearing shorts. Mind you, they were still nicer ones and not short cut offs.  You also didn't notice until they stood up to leave (and our group was usually the ones who got the hint that they are cleaning up the dining room) if they had shorts or pants on.

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/19/2023 at 3:27 AM, CDNPolar said:

Agree and we get it.  

On an ocean cruise and the dress is all over the place.  Some people dress like they are cleaning out their basement and others dress nicely.  Personally prefer a more well dressed approach to grunge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 6:28 AM, CDNPolar said:

We don't travel with jeans because we don't find them comfortable for flights, and they are heavy in the luggage, so we would never be seen wearing jeans at dinner.

We come back from our day of excursions and whatever, freshen up and change to clean clothes for the evening.  This is generally what we will wear the next day on excursions.  

You can read between the lines that we are very casual on a river ship, but on the dressier side of casual.  Most of our clothes are travel type clothes that don't wrinkle and look good in the evening, or on excursion.

And, even though I do agree that Viking Ocean is a bit dressier for dinner than Viking River, the clothes that we wear pass on both River and Ocean at night.

There is so much available now in the market that I consider travel clothing that looks good during the day and in the evening, that you don't need to be worried about dress code.

So, I am not the only one who wears for dinner what I will wear for the next day- if of course the weather cooperates.

4 minutes ago, like2cruise33 said:

So, I am not the only one who wears for dinner what I will wear for the next day- if of course the weather cooperates.

I frequently do it too. 

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

If you note any experienced walkers, runners athletes will not wear jeans not because of weight or heaviness of cloth, it’s the seams they are so thick the chafe most uncomfortable.

We rarely travel with jeans at all.  In fact, I don't remember the last time we took jeans with us on any trip. They are exactly that - heavy and not comfortable.

We have travel clothing that is durable enough for any excursion, and can also pass for elegant casual onboard.

This is an investment that we have made over time.

• Like 1