Why Folks Consider New Brands when Cruising?

Sthrngary

31 minutes ago, halfapair said:

My one concern about Regent is the dress code. My husband really enjoys the casual attire on Oceania. He is very comfortable in khakis & a polo shirt at dinner. Wearing a jacket will make him uncomfortable. I think he would do it to make me happy, or if the cruise itinerary were something we really wanted and it wasn't available on any other cruise line. But I don't want him feeling irritated at dinner.🪰🧴

I’m not under the impression that the dress code on Regent is more strict than on Oceania. I suggest a little bit of research on the Regent forum. I think you might be pleasantly surprised and pleased.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

I’m not under the impression that the dress code on Regent is more strict than on Oceania. I suggest a little bit of research on the Regent forum. I think you might be pleasantly surprised and pleased.

I have experienced no difference, although on some longer cruises  AFAIK Regent sometimes will have one dressy evening which is optional...so I'll say, basically no difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, halfapair said:

My one concern about Regent is the dress code. My husband really enjoys the casual attire on Oceania. He is very comfortable in khakis & a polo shirt at dinner. Wearing a jacket will make him uncomfortable. I think he would do it to make me happy, or if the cruise itinerary were something we really wanted and it wasn't available on any other cruise line. But I don't want him feeling irritated at dinner.🪰🧴

From my research on the Regent board, I’ve suggested to marital Unit to brings nice slacks and collared shirts for the evening, and I am going with trousers and a nice top. Doesn’t sound too different from O tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are talking about the 8 originally Renaissance ships (called R1 - R8).  O and Azamara currently operate these older vessels that all suffer from small cabin bathrooms/showers when compared to most newer vessels.  Since we believe that part of the Premium-Luxury experience includes a comfortable cabin, we have never accepted the “premium” label attached to those vessels by some on CC.  Folks can choose to ignore various shortcomings on their favorite lines, but the facts are simply the facts.

Hank

I have to agree with you Hank. The cabin size is very low on our priorities list, but cabins and especially showers on the R ships are below our minimal comfort level. I would sail on one of those ships only if there was some really unique itinerary (which so far I have not seen). 

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are talking about the 8 originally Renaissance ships (called R1 - R8).  O and Azamara currently operate these older vessels that all suffer from small cabin bathrooms/showers when compared to most newer vessels.  Since we believe that part of the Premium-Luxury experience includes a comfortable cabin, we have never accepted the “premium” label attached to those vessels by some on CC.  Folks can choose to ignore various shortcomings on their favorite lines, but the facts are simply the facts.

Hank

Hank, we sailed our first Oceania cruise in June, but it was on one of the R class and we were a bit disappointed the food was a step up from our usual lines, except for the lamb chops in the specialty restaurant they were the worst in 50 + cruises lol. But the shower wow! We are both quite neat but that shower was so small! Looking at the new ship is it Vista?think I like the idea of a slightly bigger ship would not book R class again, but happy to try some of the new brands in the future.

• Like 1

We have left many lines over the years. When what is included is removed, extra charges are added and quality goes down we leave and search for greener pastures. We left Carnival, Princess, NCL, HAL, Royal, Celebrity because they have done all of the above. We have not looked back at all. 

We love Viking river and ocean and so far are very impressed with our first Oceania cruise. We were having some serious doubts on trying O after reading numerous reviews here. We are happy to report that all the negative reviews were unfounded in our opinion. We are not leaving Viking but always wanted to try Oceania. We consider both to be very comparable on what they offer.  For the future we would now consider both in looking for a destination to go to. 

We are not concerned on the price. What we look for first is the food and dining experience followed by what’s included and destination. 

We are venturing out to try SS as trying a luxury line has been on our bucket list.  We also wanted an extensive Japan cruise that was at least 2 weeks long. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Same on our Seabourn cruise. The ‘formal’ night had a wide variety of attire. DH brought a jacket, many didn’t. He wore slacks and collared shirt every evening in MDR.  I was overly worried about dress beforehand, but decided that it was pretty similar to Viking. The two exceptions on 11 nights was one formal and one captains dinner where there was everything from country club casual to very dressy. It was fun. We will pack similar clothing for Oceania as we did for SB and Viking. DH didn’t take a jacket on V, but he was chilly some evenings, so he appreciated having a sports coat this time. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, halfapair said:

We have been on several Regent cruises.  My husband has never worn a jacket.

We find the attire on Oceania and Regent the same.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, halfapair said:

I'm not clear why you think Regent requires a jacket - below is their dress code. "Elegant Casual" is slacks and a collared shirt for men - jackets optional. This is also true on the "Formal Optional" evenings if the cruise is long enough.

We sailed a 15-day TA with Regent last month. The main dining room evidence very few jackets at any time. In the specialties, perhaps 1/4 - 1/3 of the men wore them ( I do so, but just because I choose to). Ties were very rare. The general dress was not noticeably different than that on O.

Don't sweat the dress code - you won't feel out of place as long as you are presentable. 🍺🥌

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 10/11/2023 at 4:05 PM, Brad1185 said:

We are happy to report that all the negative reviews were unfounded in our opinion. We are not leaving Viking but always wanted to try Oceania. We consider both to be very comparable on what they offer.

That is good to hear.  As I mentioned, in my first post in this thread, we really loved our first Oceania cruise, and our expectations are that Viking will be at least as good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taiwan_girl said:

That is good to hear.  As I mentioned, in my first post in this thread, we really loved our first Oceania cruise, and our expectations are that Viking will be at least as good.

We are equally impressed with both so we are highly confident Viking will more than meet your expectations 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:23 PM, LHT28 said:

do  a spread sheet that includes  all your wants/needs  then sail with that line

We have sodas in the fridge included on Oceania   have yet to drink any 

it is a rip off

We do not drink much  but  now wine/beer & Champagne is included with Oceania  at lunch & dinner

What a rip off

We rarely book shore excursions with the ship but now  we will have to pay  to be forced to use  shorex or just lose the $$

What a rip off

For us it will be no more Oceania cruises

YMMV

The soft drinks are include & you don't drink any? How is that a rip off? The same with your other complaints. It really makes no sense. We normally do not partake in the "extras". We prefer a la carte pricing. Celebrity tried the "all inclusive" and a lot of pax disliked it so they do allow you to opt out. Hopefully O will do this was well. We booked our upcoming cruise before this offering. I really do not intend on paying extra for things I don't want. We'll see how our Vista trip in Jan. pans out.

• Like 1

I think that the point in the post from LHT28 is that there are included ‘extras’ in the price that anyone pays. It varies by person how worthwhile that extra is. There are a lot of comments about having to pay in the base fare for those extras and the value/rip off to them. Some will view those included extras as valuable - ie: sodas in the room. The value is different for individuals. So wine is good for some, soft drinks for others, etc.. and totally without value to others….which some feel is a ‘rip off’. But trust me, what ever those included extras are……you are absolutely paying for them in your base fare. 

• Like 3

Oceania is not Liberty Mutual Insurance. One may well pay for amenities they don’t want. Get over it! I don’t care if you don’t drink, under SM wine & beer will be included for lunch and dinner. I don’t care if one goes to bed every night by 8:30, the evening entertainment is included in the price. Et. Ctc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania is not Liberty Mutual Insurance. One may well pay for amenities they don’t want. Get over it! I don’t care if you don’t drink, under SM wine & beer will be included for lunch and dinner. I don’t care if one goes to bed every night by 8:30, the evening entertainment is included in the price. Et. Ctc. 

@pinotlover Don't hold back, just say what you mean.  All kidding aside.  My comments below do not reflect your post but is made me think.

In the sometimes confusing world of cruise brand selection, your ability to find a brand that is PERFECT for you is simply an unrealistic expectations.  Some are better values then others, some have a few things that you want that others don't and yes some have items included (never free) in the fare that are of no value to you. 

What confuses me is why this simple fact has to have a negative spin on it.  Anyone that has booked more then three (3) cruises knows what is included and not included in a cruise that they book for the future. Example, I REALLY wanted to go on Regent Seven Seas Cruise for my upcoming 10 day Mediterranean Cruise. Like most things I did my due diligence.  Based on what was provided, reviews that I read, people that I talked to and yes to a previous poster the Excel Spreadsheet comparison I did, the value for the price invested was simply not worth it at this time. Glad I did the research. 

My point, why take/book a brand or complain about a brand if you booked it.  Why make fun of someone who looks at the things you think are not a value, where they think based on their previous experience is a value to them.  The only answer is "It is social media, where it is a place to vent."  That answer is just fine with me. 

I originally wrote this topic to explain why I left the brand I was so loyal too, a brand that I am know to be a cheer leader for, a brand that brought me back to cruising; I still love that brand.  It had been good to me.  My tastes and needs have changed and what I wanted in the future was simply a different cruising experience. So, I left it to try Oceania Cruises because for what ever personal reasons Oceania seemed to be and provide what I wanted now in my future cruising experience. Just me, not everyone.  Time will tell since my cruise is in 25 days.  

Simple Motto: "My money, my choice, my decision and my mistake if I made the wrong choice."  If you know the rules, complaining is your right however it was your decision to make. That is unless the brand really messed up.  You know, missed a port due to weather; has tasteless cookies, charges for wine/beer for lunch and dinner and you don't drink, service a meal that was not Michelin 5-star qualify, changed a menu item, had a bad speaker, provided soda's in staterooms and you don't drink soda's, and the list goes on. 

Rant over, onto real life.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Sthrngary you nailed it as usual!

Our cruising philosophy is simple: select the best itinerary at the best and reasonable price at the best possible ship. Meaning, the itinerary always comes first, and then we find the compromise between the price and the ship. My assessment of Regent was exactly the same as yours: not worth the price.

We love Oceania, but we have zero loyalty to any line. We were booked on Vista Mediterranean Cruise for 2024. Then we saw a better itinerary on SS for only $100 CAD/day more. Considering all inclusions, SS was actually slightly cheaper. It was a no brainer to switch.

SS includes all excursions, but we might still take private tours in some of the ports. I don't care that I already paid for the ship tours. I don't care that I will be paying for other people's drinks and don't drink. You know why? Because the alternative is going back to Celebrity and paying $5 for each bottle of water and each espresso and cappuccino. Not going to happen.

So if you want to sail on a premium or luxury line, you will always pay for some thing that you won't use. This is just the reality. As @pinotlover mentioned, Get over it! Lets not waste our time on pointless complaints about SM. It is what it is. If you find a better deal on another line, go for it. Choice is always good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

@Sthrngary you nailed it as usual!

Our cruising philosophy is simple: select the best itinerary at the best and reasonable price at the best possible ship. Meaning, the itinerary always comes first, and then we find the compromise between the price and the ship. My assessment of Regent was exactly the same as yours: not worth the price.

We love Oceania, but we have zero loyalty to any line. We were booked on Vista Mediterranean Cruise for 2024. Then we saw a better itinerary on SS for only $100 CAD/day more. Considering all inclusions, SS was actually slightly cheaper. It was a no brainer to switch.

SS includes all excursions, but we might still take private tours in some of the ports. I don't care that I already paid for the ship tours. I don't care that I will be paying for other people's drinks and don't drink. You know why? Because the alternative is going back to Celebrity and paying $5 for each bottle of water and each espresso and cappuccino. Not going to happen.

So if you want to sail on a premium or luxury line, you will always pay for some thing that you won't use. This is just the reality. As @pinotlover mentioned, Get over it! Lets not waste our time on pointless complaints about SM. It is what it is. If you find a better deal on another line, go for it. Choice is always good.

@ak1004 Thank you for the kind words. 

I like the CruiseCritic.com Oceania topic board.  For the most part, it seems like most who comment are being respectful and do their research.  The 18 months that I have on here, after booking my first Oceania Cruise has been education which is all I can ask.  My favorite part was it seems, most posters thought the same way as I did.  Always have "Realistic Expectations" and never think that your day dreams of what a cruise would be like, is the actual experience you will have. The why this reason that makes so much sense to me is I messed up very badly by taking another brand and believed the hype.  Fool me once, shame on me.

Yet when we make a decision, knowing the fact and then complain it seems like we are just wanting to find something wrong.  I accept that on Social Media however it disappoints me that it is happening so frequently on this board as of late.  

Kind of confusing but again, social media.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

And in addition to have "Realistic Expectations", I would also add "do your homework".

If after returning from R ship you complain about small cabins and showers, it means you didn't do your homework.

If you complain about lack of activities on Oceania, it means you didn't do your homework (O is not known for its great daily activities).

And so on. 

Every line will be a compromise on something. Even lines like SS and SB. Learn the line strengths and weaknesses to avoid surprises

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We just feel that increasing prices overall for a "free" perk, that actually is not free is kind of a joke. With  O Life we had the option of not choosing it & therefore NOT paying for it. "Simply More" comes off as you'll pay extra even if you don't use. Just a money grab to us.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rbtan said:

We just feel that increasing prices overall for a "free" perk, that actually is not free is kind of a joke. With  O Life we had the option of not choosing it & therefore NOT paying for it. "Simply More" comes off as you'll pay extra even if you don't use. Just a money grab to us.

Which is true for every line. And all premium/luxury lines have items that are included but you don't use. This is the reality. Get over it or find another line (if you can find one that includes only thing that you use).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello All:

In reading the posts to this thread are YOU seeing a trend. It seems, the word that best describes the trend or pattern of leaving a brand is the word, "Change".  In my previous life, my studies took me to the power that "Change" has on consumers. All Cruise Brand want more profits, and more growth to make more profits in the industry.  Things like supply chain issues, increasing costs of all items, increase cost of labor and in the cruise industry increased cost of leverage money especially after the Covid-19 Down Time. All of this has led to "Change".

When we as a consumer get used to a brand, they begin to feel like family and a warm comfortable blanket on a cold windy night.  Mom's special pancakes on a Sunday morning.  Not everyone feels this way yet studies tell us that most folks fear change.  Yet all folk crave improvement over what they have received in the past. Just don't change it to the worst, reduce the quality while increasing the price.  Who defines when a brand does this? The most loyal and faithful of that brand and they on some level feel "betrayed". Just think if mom, without telling anyone, changed her recipe for pancakes.  

When we all realize, "The Times They Are A Changing", we look to another source for where to spend our hard earned money.  In reading lots of post, on this and other threads including other brands, it is a trend or pattern emerging greater than in the past of jumping brands.  The culprit, "Change". 

I personally, was what many feel is called a cheer leader for NCL especially the Haven.  I had a very definable list of reasons why I loved the brand and the category of service provided.  One item at a time was changed and noticed.  Than another. It was gradual.  Noticeable but gradual. When to many thing changes against the things I love about the brand, my mind and money went wandering.  I would have never considered this prior, but in my opinion quality went down and price went up.  So why not look at other options.  So I ended up doing just that and choose Oceania Cruises.  Some of the reasons are listed in the first post.  Remember my reasons are mine and personal. 

Now for the interesting part.  The new brand chosen can do no wrong.  WHY, because all we know about it is what we read.  The hype is well outlined.  Yet the Reality is yet to be determined.  That comes from spending the time, on the ship of choice in the new brand you choose for what every reason it was that you choose it.  That is where the "Rubber meets the Road".  You will either say, "This is the brand, home I have been looking for." or "This is not what I expected". or "I miss my old brand". or "I guess I have to try a new brand because this one just did not scratch the itch." 

My point is, things change.  Like it or not, they change.  If you don't like the change, you may leave the brand.  You might even be angry you needed to leave the brand.  The Brand will survive because they now are getting the influx of new guest who felt the same way about their old brand.  They have no history with, in this case Oceania, so everything is kind of new like going on a first date.  Just like a first date, they always don't go as planned so always have "realistic expectations".  

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

In my limited experience, the higher end the cruise line, the more "all inclusive" they become.  If a cruise line like Oceania went the way of the discount airlines, staying fairly high end, and the only thing you got for your cruise fare was a cabin, with everything else being extra, that would create a whole 'nother set of complaints.  

For me, I like knowing ahead of time that there will not be a whole lot of extras that will show up on my bill at the end of the cruise.  Granted, our Oceania cruise was prior to "Simply More", and at that time, their "semi all-inclusive" seemed to be the sweet spot for us.  We plan on taking another Oceania cruise, and I think it will still fit the sweet spot for us.

As others have stated, there are options, based on price, amenities, itineraries, etc. (both on land and sea).  While some may like Oceania, others may feel that their offerings include too much or maybe too little.

It would be interesting to see what type of margin change Oceania expects with the switch to Simply More vs. O-Life.

• Like 5