VISTA

LHT28

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

well home after a long day  travelling

I will do a review sometime  soon when I get caught up on other things

Overall the trip was good  ships is very nice & food was very good with a few not so good

FYI

They have some vinyl type  deck surface  & when wet  if you do not have  good  sneakers or deck shoes  it is very slippery

Went to go from Barristas to Horizons  &  just as we stepped out from under the awning realized it was a light rain  but before  I could turn back  down I went

strained my left ankle & pulled muscles/ligament  in right leg  & knee

The restaurant manager came  to see if I was OK took cabin number  to make report 

So not a good end to the cruise

Moral of the story  take good sneakers 😉

Lyn

So sorry you ended trip that way, hope your recovery is rapid.

• 2 weeks later...

Lyn, heading to CA in a few days for 16 night Vista Trans Canal cruise. How was the availability of North American 110 volt electrical plugs and/or plugs to charge your phone. We, usually cruise with a European 220v adaptor to give us more charging options in our cabin. Wondering if that is necessary on a new ship like Vista?

Just now, edgee said:

Lyn, heading to CA in a few days for 16 night Vista Trans Canal cruise. How was the availability of North American 110 volt electrical plugs and/or plugs to charge your phone. We, usually cruise with a European 220v adaptor to give us more charging options in our cabin. Wondering if that is necessary on a new ship like Vista?

I sailed with Lyn and will be handing the beautiful Vista off to you in a week...by the bed on each side, there is 1 USB outlet and 1 USB C outlet,  1 US 3 prong ( 2 vertical and 1 round - neutral) outlet.  By the desk, there are 2 USB  outlets, 2 USB C outlets, 2 US 3 prong outlets and 1 European (3 round prongs in a row).  Hope this answers the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, edgee said:

We did bring with us an approved power strip that is plugged into one of the 110 outlets by the desk to make it easier to plug multiple devices in...,the provided power outlets by the desk are to the left side where the phone and makeup mirror sit so not a lot of desk top space for devices in front of the outlets.

1 minute ago, basor said:

We did bring with us an approved power strip that is plugged into one of the 110 outlets by the desk to make it easier to plug multiple devices in...,the provided power outlets by the desk are to the left side where the phone and makeup mirror sit so not a lot of desk top space for devices in front of the outlets.

Thanks for you feedback. What are criteria for me to know which power strips are approved and which are not?

Just now, edgee said:

Thanks for you feedback. What are criteria for me to know which power strips are approved and which are not?

They can not have any kind of surge protection...just a plain power strip with additional outlets...

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, edgee said:

we were in a B5 & no problem with 110  plugs

We used one on the desk for computer/ Camera   & cell  one on the night table for DH hearing aid charger

We did not even need to charge up the electric tooth brush  so never  tried the  plug in the bathroom

Hair is air dried LOL

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 2

3 hours ago, basor said:

I sailed with Lyn and will be handing the beautiful Vista off to you in a week...by the bed on each side, there is 1 USB outlet and 1 USB C outlet,  1 US 3 prong ( 2 vertical and 1 round - neutral) outlet.  By the desk, there are 2 USB  outlets, 2 USB C outlets, 2 US 3 prong outlets and 1 European (3 round prongs in a row).  Hope this answers the question.

The round prong is the ground.  The two flat blades are the hot and the neutral.  Sorry, the engineer in me coming out.

Just now, WayneLaR said:

The round prong is the ground.  The two flat blades are the hot and the neutral.  Sorry, the engineer in me coming out.

Thanks - I know that and wanted to make sure people knew if they has a plug with the ground, it would work in the plugs available

• Like 1

If you have a brick or device rated "110v-220v" or "110v-240v", you can use a plug adapter to plug its 110v (Type 'A' or 'B'/North American) plug into a 220v (Type 'E' or 'F'/Continental Europe) socket safely.

If the brick or device is designed for "110-220v" or "110-240v", it will be quite happy to run on O's 220v.  Do triple-check the "220v" or "240v" in the specification or risk seeing the magic smoke.  😮

PS: "240v" means you can do the same thing in the UK with their 240v mains with the Type 'G' plugs that you won't see aboard O.

"European plug with three prongs in a row" - is in fact an Italian plug.  Our Swiss two prong plugs will work in this socket but I don't think the French 3 prong ones will.

Anyway I have the opposite problem.  All my plugs are Swiss.  I plan to bring some adaptors Swiss to USA that I used to use in Florida so I can increase the number of sockets I can use.  But being a little technologically challenged I don't see what good a USB plug is to me AND I don't know the difference between a USB C and a normal USB!!   Would appreciate being told that!

29 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

"European plug with three prongs in a row" - is in fact an Italian plug.  Our Swiss two prong plugs will work in this socket but I don't think the French 3 prong ones will.

Anyway I have the opposite problem.  All my plugs are Swiss.  I plan to bring some adaptors Swiss to USA that I used to use in Florida so I can increase the number of sockets I can use.  But being a little technologically challenged I don't see what good a USB plug is to me AND I don't know the difference between a USB C and a normal USB!!   Would appreciate being told that!

Oops!   Yeah, it works backwards (220v plug → 110v socket) *if* your gadget has "110v" in the voltage spec.  Similar risk of damage if you misread the spec, though.

The charging cables for all recent smartphones are USB cables.  Some don't even come with a charging cable, claiming you must already have a pile of USB cables.  My smartphone came with a USB cable and a 110v → USB adapter.  I can skip the adapter, and plug the phone directly into O's USB outlet.

There are only two different USB wall socket shapes, and it sounds like O provides both, so just use the one that fits.  The Type 'C' has added features, the best of which is that it works plugged in right-side-up or upside-down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Oops!   Yeah, it works backwards (220v plug → 110v socket) *if* your gadget has "110v" in the voltage spec.  Similar risk of damage if you misread the spec, though.

The charging cables for all recent smartphones are USB cables.  Some don't even come with a charging cable, claiming you must already have a pile of USB cables.  My smartphone came with a USB cable and a 110v → USB adapter.  I can skip the adapter, and plug the phone directly into O's USB outlet.

There are only two different USB wall socket shapes, and it sounds like O provides both, so just use the one that fits.  The Type 'C' has added features, the best of which is that it works plugged in right-side-up or upside-down.

VERY helpful!  Merci!!   I have an iPhone 12 with a lightening connector. AND a Swiss plug on the end of that.   I know some USBs are larger than that.  And since almost all the computers, phones etc will charge anywhere between 100v and 240v I have not had a problem charging that phone (and I did take it to the US in 2020).  My computer is a Mac and the USB plug is wider...   But I like the advice to "just use the one that fits" !  

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

VERY helpful!  Merci!!   I have an iPhone 12 with a lightening connector. AND a Swiss plug on the end of that.   I know some USBs are larger than that.  And since almost all the computers, phones etc will charge anywhere between 100v and 240v I have not had a problem charging that phone (and I did take it to the US in 2020).  My computer is a Mac and the USB plug is wider...   But I like the advice to "just use the one that fits" !  

Ack!  The "just use the one that fits" is only for USB/USB work, *NOT* for "Swiss"/110v plug-adapters!

Be careful.  The "Swiss" end of your cable is doing voltage-conversion magic, not just connecting different shaped metal.  It's the charging cable that needs the "110v-240v" specification, but if you've used it before....  🙂

I'm not Apple-fluent, but are you sure the "Swiss" plug (and voltage converter) on the end of your charging cable doesn't pull off, revealing a USB plug that in turn has been plugged into the "Swiss" part?   That's the way my USA-configured Android smartphone came.

Background: Smartphones and tablets kept getting thinner, so the smartphone-end of USB cables kept changing: 'B', 'mini', then 'micro'.  Eventually, they added higher max amperage, plugs-in-either-side-up, etc, and called it "USB-C" with still another shape.  Unlike ordinary wall plugs, if a USB fits?  No worries.

9 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Ack!  The "just use the one that fits" is only for USB/USB work, *NOT* for "Swiss"/110v plug-adapters!

Be careful.  The "Swiss" end of your cable is doing voltage-conversion magic, not just connecting different shaped metal.  It's the charging cable that needs the "110v-240v" specification, but if you've used it before....  🙂

I'm not Apple-fluent, but are you sure the "Swiss" plug (and voltage converter) on the end of your charging cable doesn't pull off, revealing a USB plug that in turn has been plugged into the "Swiss" part?   That's the way my USA-configured Android smartphone came.

Background: Smartphones and tablets kept getting thinner, so the smartphone-end of USB cables kept changing: 'B', 'mini', then 'micro'.  Eventually, they added higher max amperage, plugs-in-either-side-up, etc, and called it "USB-C" with still another shape.  Unlike ordinary wall plugs, if a USB fits?  No worries.

For the iPad, iPhone and the Mac the USB cables all plug into a plug that goes into the wall socket.  So I suppose I have two options - one is to use the European 3 pin socket since my 2 pin plugs will fit into that or to just plug the USB cable directly into the USB plug in the suite ?   A third option is for me to bring a couple of the Swiss/American plugs I have here at home and then connect via those using the US sockets.

This is all very helpful and I thank you!!

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

A third option is for me to bring a couple of the Swiss/American plugs I have here at home and then connect via those using the US sockets.

Since *you* have done it with *that* cable before...  🙂

Anyone else or you with a different cable?   Read the cable's specs.  🙄

Bon voyage!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, LHT28 said:

I have never had a C cabin on the O class ships  but the the  lowering of the tenders on Vistas have the motor noise from the davits

Enjoyed reading your review. My DH and I have not been on Oceania in some years.  We have sailed on the Marina and the Riviera.  Once in a B category and once in a suite.  We are looking at trying Oceania again and sailing a 7 night on the Vista.  We have not followed Oceania in a long time, so have no idea what the Vista offers as far as staterooms go.  I understand that all staterooms have a Veranda. We would prefer a true balcony and not a French balcony.  Do all B categories have a standard size balcony?  Looking at a Cat. B3.  What type category do you suggest and what deck?

On 10/9/2023 at 1:56 PM, basor said:

Hi Lyn - I think the big lineup at the GDR the last few nights might have been because of the O Loyalty parties and everyone rushed to the GDR from there.....all dressed up and so decided to go to the GRD instead of Terrace

Can honestly not remember, but are there formal nights on Oceania?  We dress nicely each evening, but do not wish to dress formally.  Thank you!

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

can honestly not remember, but are there formal nights on Oceania?  We dress nicely each evening, but do not wish to dress formally.  Thank you!

There are no formal nights on Oceania. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

We would prefer a true balcony and not a French balcony.  Do all B categories have a standard size balcony?  Looking at a Cat. B3.  What type category do you suggest and what deck?

If you want a B cabin  then deck 7  will be fine  just avoid  the B5  cabins they are French balconies & over the lifeboats

They also have some B's on deck 8  they all have the regular balconies

Check the deck plan

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/vista/deck-plan-details?deck=07

Enjoy

• Thanks 1