LIVE Italy Land trip then 10 days on Pride, Oct 18-29 to Greece, Turkey, Sicily and more Italy with ninjacat123!

ninjacat123

IMG_2420.thumb.jpeg.7332f3f871e01cb053f4d973e7467a4a.jpegEver buy something online for cruising that you think oh I have to have this and then you put it away in a bag, pull it out months later and wonder what the heck is this? Some sort of workout device? A new kind of belt? I just remembered what it’s for it holds down your towel on a lounger when it’s breezy.🤣🤣

• Haha 7

21 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Regarding my packing list, I keep thinking oh, I should add one more outfit one more dress, one more pair of shoes so I can look like those women on the travel groups that are on the site that shouldn’t be named. I swear most of them probably have a hair stylist, and make up artist in their luggage as well. 😂 we have never done a cruise in Europe, so this definitely will be a different experience than our usual drive to the port for a Caribbean cruise.

Hi Ninja - can't wait to follow your cruise.  I assume you are platinum.  We utilized the free wash and fold service.  If you are both platinum, that's 6 free bags of laundry.  Was really a life-saver on our trip.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Good question!  I'm planning on going to our local B of A and finding out if they have any euros. If so, I'll get about 200 euros in denominations of 10 euro or less.  Especially enough 1 euros for bathroom payment😬gotta be prepared!

If they don't have any, we will get some when we are in Italy.  From what I understand, most transactions are credit card based. And when you are given the choice of dollars or that country's money in a credit card transaction, choose the country's money.

Ninja - we had two restaurants that did not take credit cards and nothing was listed so always ask prior to ordering.  Luckily we always had euros with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, kleibo said:

Ninja - we had two restaurants that did not take credit cards and nothing was listed so always ask prior to ordering.  Luckily we always had euros with us.

Yikes!!  I have heard of some Greek restaurants that do a scam-like thing with the bill.  You order and after the fact they say "oh that's 20 euro per GRAM" and your bill is now 300 euro.  I will double check on payment and ordering.  Thank you kleibo!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kleibo said:

Hi Ninja - can't wait to follow your cruise.  I assume you are platinum.  We utilized the free wash and fold service.  If you are both platinum, that's 6 free bags of laundry.  Was really a life-saver on our trip.

And I didn't see this post till I answered your other post🤣 thank you for joining me on this LIVE report!! We are both platinum so yay on the laundry!! I forgot about that🧼(that's a soap emoji😉)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeafl said:

I'm excited to read your review!  Just be careful! My son had just bought a train ticket in Rome, and he put his wallet back in his left front pocket of his shorts, when some guy grabbed his right front pocket.  When he went to grab the guys hand from his right pocket, the guy's accomplice grabbed the wallet from his left pocket and they both jumped on the train just as the doors closed.  It was choreographed perfectly.  He lost his cash, Eurail pass, credit card and debit card.  He was doing a college term abroad in Germany so none of us were with him.  Fortunately he ran into a fellow college student who lent him money to get back to Germany.  It was a hassle getting him a new credit card and debit card!  Fortunately he had left his passport in the hotel room so he didn't lose that as well.

This definitely needs the "oh crap" button!

Hugs from Texas!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, maluhia87 said:

I just thought of something else that I'm not sure was mentioned.  In Italy, fountains are available throughout the cities of public water (refill your water bottles). It usually is cold and tastes fine, even in Pompeii. 

Yes!!!  Staying hydrated is key, especially with all the walking around, stairs, drinking wine (mostly drinking wine😉) and I will definitely take advantage of the fountains👍

• Like 2

Following!  Looking forward to your review.  I'm doing this cruise in October 2024 with 2 of my son's.  This will be our 3rd try as we were also canceled in 2020 & 2021.  Do you know what the latest time to board the cruise?  We will have 1 night before the cruise and trying to plan our limited time in Rome before boarding.   Also going to Venice post cruise so very interested in your train experience 😀 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Yikes!!  I have heard of some Greek restaurants that do a scam-like thing with the bill.  You order and after the fact they say "oh that's 20 euro per GRAM" and your bill is now 300 euro.  I will double check on payment and ordering.  Thank you kleibo!!

Notorious restaurant in Mykonos DK Oyster.  Beware

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SkipsMom said:

Following!  Looking forward to your review.  I'm doing this cruise in October 2024 with 2 of my son's.  This will be our 3rd try as we were also canceled in 2020 & 2021.  Do you know what the latest time to board the cruise?  We will have 1 night before the cruise and trying to plan our limited time in Rome before boarding.   Also going to Venice post cruise so very interested in your train experience 😀 

Hey SkipsMom, thanks for following!! If I remember correctly, when I checked in latest time available was 5, I think. I’ll ask when we board👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I have read about that restaurant as well. I even wrote it down in my notes not to go there when in Mykonos. 👍

Ninja - we ate at Raya Restaurant in Mykonos.  Really was excellent.  https://rayamykonos.com/    We got the Palette of Spreads.  Grilled Octopus and Shrimp Tempura with a side of French Fries.  And there is outdoor dining overlooking the sea.

Edited by kleibo
added more info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kleibo said:

Ninja - we ate at Raya Restaurant in Mykonos.  Really was excellent.  https://rayamykonos.com/    We got the Palette of Spreads.  Grilled Octopus and Shrimp Tempura with a side of French Fries.  And there is outdoor dining overlooking the sea.

Yum!! Did you need reservations?

22 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I have 7 euro from our last trip.  I can pee!🤣

Stopped at Chase Bank today and was told 2-3 business days but that they would probably be in tomorrow. (Lucky bladder!) @ninjacat123forget when you are leaving, hope you can purchase some yet. We aren’t flying out until next week, SRQ to EWK to FCO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

Stopped at Chase Bank today and was told 2-3 business days but that they would probably be in tomorrow. (Lucky bladder!) @ninjacat123forget when you are leaving, hope you can purchase some yet. We aren’t flying out until next week, SRQ to EWK to FCO.

I’m gonna try B of A tomorrow but worst scenario, we will get some at FCO👍

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I’m gonna try B of A tomorrow but worst scenario, we will get some at FCO👍

I’ve always been told to wait and go to ATM in country for exchanges. Much better rates of exchange. Always able to find one at first stop after airport. Unless of course you need some for transportation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 2wheelin said:

I’ve always been told to wait and go to ATM in country for exchanges. Much better rates of exchange. Always able to find one at first stop after airport. Unless of course you need some for transportation.

I think that will be the plan.👍😁