Seasickness

12 minutes ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

What medicine/Voodoo do you recommend to avoid wobbly legs and sick bags? 

We are in Europe so American medicine won't help. 

My wife uses Dramamine. You can get the same thing in Europe under different names. My recommendation is to go to a drug store/chemist and ask. If you're in a non-English speaking country, possible translate the word(s) for "seasick" ahead of time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Korimako said:

We have always used the bands that you wear on your wrists. Much better than medication.

Even stopped us being seasick on a cross-Channel ferry during  the storm which decimated the Fastnet Race in 1979 (Google it!).

Are they all as good as each other, or should I look out for a certain brand?

I hear ginger is good too.

Dr strictly prohibited dimenhydrinate due to other medication. 

1 minute ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

I once took sea sickness tablets. The sea was like glass, but the dam tablets made me feel absolutely wonky and I couldn't drive to the port. 

Double "??"

You *asked* for suggestions about this.

2 hours ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

What medicine/Voodoo do you recommend to avoid wobbly legs and sick bags?  

And unless you are the *only* person involved (and "cruisefamilyholiday" suggests there are others), then... I'll change my recommendation for all of the others (but not for you, apparently) to try any remedies in advance, so they know how it will work for each of *them*, or perhaps that some possible remedy is *not* going to work for someone...

CruiseCritic is an amazing resource, with input from many different perspectives and experiences.

If you are going to immediately shoot down even general suggestions that are directly answering your questions, then...???

We are not, by any means, the only ones who recommend *trying* remedies at home, before traveling.

GC

I think you gave good advice GeezerCouple.  

I once bought Dramamine for a whale watching trip in So. California.  As a precaution I took one tablet when the adult dose was two.  I was fine on the trip but on return in the afternoon I was feeling sleepy and went for a lie down.  Six hours later my family woke me, worried.  Even the following day, after a good nights sleep I felt I was wading through treacle all day.  I’ll never take it again.

Anyhow, I used MQ motion sickness patches since which are non-drowsy and appear to be effective.

Catherine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Double "??"

You *asked* for suggestions about this.

And unless you are the *only* person involved (and "cruisefamilyholiday" suggests there are others), then... I'll change my recommendation for all of the others (but not for you, apparently) to try any remedies in advance, so they know how it will work for each of *them*, or perhaps that some possible remedy is *not* going to work for someone...

CruiseCritic is an amazing resource, with input from many different perspectives and experiences.

If you are going to immediately shoot down even general suggestions that are directly answering your questions, then...???

We are not, by any means, the only ones who recommend *trying* remedies at home, before traveling.

GC

I thanked you for your recommendation and I commented. Good advice. Quoting your suggestion.

Thank you for your help and I hope you have a nice evening. 

• Like 1

You have only said that you are in Europe, but not where in Europe, so giving any brand suggestions is likely futile. I would suggest going to the nearest pharmacy and ask for their suggestions. Be sure to mention the contraindications for dimenhydrinate as well as the other medications being taken. Cinnarzine or Meclizine may be available OTC.. There are nonpharmaceutical remedies that some cruisers use, such as relief bands, ginger (in many forms from capsules to candy or ginger ale), and even green apples. As a last resort, Guest Relations on the ship will have sea sick tablets. Most of the American lines have Meclizine. Not sure what the British or European lines use.

1 minute ago, KforKitty said:

I think you gave good advice GeezerCouple.  

I once bought Dramamine for a whale watching trip in So. California.  As a precaution I took one tablet when the adult dose was two.  I was fine on the trip but on return in the afternoon I was feeling sleepy and went for a lie down.  Six hours later my family woke me, worried.  Even the following day, after a good nights sleep I felt I was wading through treacle all day.  I’ll never take it again.

Anyhow, I used MQ motion sickness patches since which are non-drowsy and appear to be effective.

Catherine

Than you Catherine, I shall look for the patches.

1 hour ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

Are they all as good as each other, or should I look out for a certain brand?

I hear ginger is good too.

Dr strictly prohibited dimenhydrinate due to other medication. 

Perhaps ask the Dr what they would recommend.  I think that is your best bet.  

• Like 2

most over the counter seasick medications are a form of antihistamine.  Talk to your pharmacy that you usually get your Rx medications from ( if any) to make sure they are compatible with something you may take over the counter.  Kwells ( hycoscine) Avomine ( promethazine) and Stugeron (cinnarizine) are examples of these Trade name ( generic drug name)

Scopolomine patches are sometimes use but they are contraindicated with some eye and heart conditions and can have a tricky rebound effect.  

YOu can look for these medications at your drug store or on line such as Amazon UK.  Again if you are on medications for heart, neurologic or eye conditions talk to your pharmacy associates.

Meclizine  (trade name Dramamine less drowsy or Bonine) might be available on Amazon UK.  It is my drug of choice and I use it for vertigo as well

Candied ginger is another popular item.  Green apples are often used .  Some people swear by acupressure wrist bands.  They are easily found on line and very inexpensive

Always try any medication in advance and it is always better to take the medication before you need it rather than chase symptoms.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

I once took sea sickness tablets. The sea was like glass, but the dam tablets made me feel absolutely wonky and I couldn't drive to the port. 

Perhaps don't experiment with unknown drugs the day you're supposed to drive to the port.  

• Thanks 1

Ok, I was wondering if there were any kind of physical exercises folks could do to condition against motion sickness.   Looking around I read about the "ear plug trick".  The idea is to insert an earplug into one ear (the ear opposite the side of your dominant hand).  Doing that is supposed to fool your brain into focusing on signals from your eyes and ignoring signals from your ears. 

I literally just read about this.  Anyone heard of it before?  

26 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Ok, I was wondering if there were any kind of physical exercises folks could do to condition against motion sickness.   Looking around I read about the "ear plug trick".  The idea is to insert an earplug into one ear (the ear opposite the side of your dominant hand).  Doing that is supposed to fool your brain into focusing on signals from your eyes and ignoring signals from your ears. 

I literally just read about this.  Anyone heard of it before?  

Sounds like something you see on social media.

Balance is not affected by sound.

I do not know why I am resilient to the roughest of seas. Maybe try a fishing trip on a small fishing boat in bad seas, swim in big waves, surf in a storm. Very little bothers me about the sea, I have been swept out miles by a rip on a surf board in double overhead (12ft) waves, it took two hours to get back to shore and whenever I have been on a vessel in very bad seas I can walk around with surprising balance, even surprising the crew. A big storm is free and unexpected entertainment, but there are other things that are guaranteed to make me hurl so I am not strong stomached, I simply do not feel sick in the sea, I feel quite at home bobbing up and down in an almighty swell, it is almost comforting. I remember strolling around on a very rough crossing as a child, the ship could not dock, almost everyone was hurling, lying randomly on the floor or holding on for dear life. That day I realised what the annoying threshold lip on the ship toilet door was for. There was a person in that room flat on the floor and the collective vomit of many people was rolling from one side to the other, splashing them as it came back and they did not have the motivation to move, they insisted I left them alone and close the door, poor fellow. I would assume being more familiar with the sea will help you build up tolerance. Being sober will also help a great deal. 

Please review options with your PCP - so many of these medications do not play nicely.  As antihistamine has been ruled out I highly doubt the scopolamine patch is ideal.  I tried one patch at home (no medical issues) and had an unpleasant reaction.  I have seen folks wearing them while guzzling down the drinks (contraindicated).  I find sitting outside in fresh air, watching the horizon until I equilibrate.  Also carry ginger candy.  Another suggestion is eating a green apple.  

1 hour ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Please review options with your PCP - so many of these medications do not play nicely.  As antihistamine has been ruled out I highly doubt the scopolamine patch is ideal.  I tried one patch at home (no medical issues) and had an unpleasant reaction.  I have seen folks wearing them while guzzling down the drinks (contraindicated).  I find sitting outside in fresh air, watching the horizon until I equilibrate.  Also carry ginger candy.  Another suggestion is eating a green apple.  

Agreed ——

The fact is, most people get over seasickness tendencies within a day or so.  The U S Navy is manned by thousands who took that day or so. One problem with an “effective” preventative medication or device is that (if effective at all) it simply masks the tendency so it remains with you (keeping you as a long term customer).

Common sense approaches often mentioned on this site are to abstain from heavy drinking/eating until your system gets used to the motion, to take simple stomach settlers such as green apples or candied ginger, getting fresh air and keeping an eye on the horizon - which helps your internal balance learn to cope with the movement.

22 hours ago, cruisefamilyholiday said:

Sounds like something you see on social media.

Balance is not affected by sound.

I do not know why I am resilient to the roughest of seas. Maybe try a fishing trip on a small fishing boat in bad seas, swim in big waves, surf in a storm. Very little bothers me about the sea, I have been swept out miles by a rip on a surf board in double overhead (12ft) waves, it took two hours to get back to shore and whenever I have been on a vessel in very bad seas I can walk around with surprising balance, even surprising the crew. A big storm is free and unexpected entertainment, but there are other things that are guaranteed to make me hurl so I am not strong stomached, I simply do not feel sick in the sea, I feel quite at home bobbing up and down in an almighty swell, it is almost comforting. I remember strolling around on a very rough crossing as a child, the ship could not dock, almost everyone was hurling, lying randomly on the floor or holding on for dear life. That day I realised what the annoying threshold lip on the ship toilet door was for. There was a person in that room flat on the floor and the collective vomit of many people was rolling from one side to the other, splashing them as it came back and they did not have the motivation to move, they insisted I left them alone and close the door, poor fellow. I would assume being more familiar with the sea will help you build up tolerance. Being sober will also help a great deal. 

I thought I had previously responded but I guess I forgot to press the send button.  Too bad, because it was brilliant! 🙂

I also am fortunate to not suffer from motion sickness.   I'm out on a boat most weeks we aren't otherwise traveling.  So, I can't really test the ear plug trick.  

I did not mean to imply noise causes motion sickness.  What I read was this trick somehow fooled the brain into ignoring the inner ear.  I suspect it might be of questionable value.   If it worked I'm sure at least some folks on these forums would be aware of it.