Should I sail on Firenze when it first debuts or wait a while?

Hello, friends. I’m considering sailing on the 2nd sailing of the Firenze out of Long Beach on May 7, but I’m a little nervous that there may be a lot of issues since it’s only the second sailing. Would you go anyway or wait a few months to hear from others who sailed on her? Thanks so much!

We waited for several sailings before we cruised on Venezia  - kinda similar situation as the Firenze rebranding.

During that time, there were a lot of kinks worked out and we didn't experience some of the things earlier pax did. So, for me, waiting a bit was the right thing.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise! And post lots of pictures!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

I would go with a spirit of adventure, and roll with the punches. How exciting to a be on new ship, while everything is still sparkly! Hope you have a lot of fun, whatever you decide.  

Not quite new - been sailing under Costa, now transferring to Carnival. There will, of course, be many changes, but not a new ship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Second sailing as a Carnival ship vs Hundreds of sailings as a Costa ship?  if the kinks ain't worked out by now they never will be.

You'd think, but there were quite a few kinks on Venezia coming over from Costa.

• Like 1

Based on everything I read and what we experienced when we sailed Venezia if you can wait a little I'd do so.  Now this is only if waiting really doesn't matter to you.  Venezia had some significant growing pains when it came over to Carnival.  We spoke with a LOT of staff on our sailing and they confirmed they had a tough time also.  Then again if you are the type to let most things not bother you at all, then go for it!  It's still a cruise right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, edrussell said:

Based on everything I read and what we experienced when we sailed Venezia if you can wait a little I'd do so.  Now this is only if waiting really doesn't matter to you.  Venezia had some significant growing pains when it came over to Carnival.  We spoke with a LOT of staff on our sailing and they confirmed they had a tough time also.  Then again if you are the type to let most things not bother you at all, then go for it!  It's still a cruise right?

We were in Venezia B2B Sept 16-29 and most of those kinks had indeed been worked out, we mostly enjoyed the ship and were definitely glad we were not part of the "kinks out" party.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, lasvegascruising said:

I am on the May 16 sailing, so I sure hope things are settling in.  Oh well, even if not I will have a great time.  Can't wait!  Airline tickets and hotel the night before, booked. I'm ready.

You'll have a great time, no matter. Might want to consider packing a folding tote for ice, jic.

• Like 1

If it is going to ruin your life that a new "crew and ship" might not yet be a perfectly well-oiled machine, then I would wait. 

The whole fear is overrated. It's not like you are going to go on the 2nd sailing and there is no food. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was also on the US inaugural on Venezia to Bermuda and had a fantastic time, probably minor issues but nothing worth getting excited over. Sailed on the ship again two weeks ago and experience was mostly the same and also have one more sailing in January. I say book it and enjoy! 

I have a link to my review in my signature, should probably do another for the sailings I was just on. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

We were in Venezia B2B Sept 16-29 and most of those kinks had indeed been worked out, we mostly enjoyed the ship and were definitely glad we were not part of the "kinks out" party.

We were on the Sept 8 to 16 sailing, and I 100% agree, most of the kinks were ironed out by then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I was someone who rarely cruised and for whom any cruise was a monumental event, I would wait.  Because I am fortunate enough to cruise somewhat regularly (although not NEARLY as often as some folks), I would go for it.  When you cruise regularly, you come to realize that every sailing has some bumps and every sailing has some highlights.  The exact number or proportion of these won’t make or break your experience.  If a cruise is a once-in-a-lifetime (or once a decade or once every five years) experience, then I can understand doing everything you reasonably can to minimize the bumps and maximize the highlights.  Having the optimal experience just means more if you aren’t going to get to try again for a long time.

• Thanks 2

I would suggest the issue is not so much the ship itself, but the new crew’s familiarity with it, with each other, and how to work efficiently as a team. Imagine a company hiring an entire staff of new people. It will take a little time getting into the rhythm, putting the training they’ve received into smooth practice. 

I agree with Drew B 58, who suggested if you are a seasoned cruiser, you can probably roll easily with little kinks getting worked out. Also, departure on May 7 should mean fewer children than if you wait until summer. More children = more 3rd and 4th passengers in staterooms. Early May should keep the passenger count down closer to just double occupancy per cabin.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carol louise said:

I would suggest the issue is not so much the ship itself, but the new crew’s familiarity with it, with each other, and how to work efficiently as a team. Imagine a company hiring an entire staff of new people. It will take a little time getting into the rhythm, putting the training they’ve received into smooth practice. 

On a new ship sure but this ship was already staffed and and they would have been used to working together and already familiar with the ship.  I would posit the issues were switching over from the COSTA way of doing things to the CARNIVAL way of doing things.

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

On a new ship sure but this ship was already staffed and and they would have been used to working together and already familiar with the ship.  I would posit the issues were switching over from the COSTA way of doing things to the CARNIVAL way of doing things.

Yes, that’s a good point. But I wonder: did the entire staff from Costa in Asia just go on furlough during the renovation and were all called back to Carnival for Venezia? Was English the standard everyday language of the Costa crew and staff in Asia?

Darn, now I wish I had asked these questions during our Behind the Fun tour!

• Haha 1

I waited 13 years to sail on Carnival Magic for them to work out the kinks - still got over cooked lobster, dry roast beef, ice cold / still frozen deli sandwiches, crew that spoke Indonesian or Tagalog in guest areas, and cakes that tasted like they were frosted with pure Crisco shortening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on the first two sailings of Carnival Magic (May 1-22, 2011) and they were magical. Tablecloths, fresh made deli sandwiches, porterhouse in the steakhouse, unlimited bacon daily, tasty steaks in the MDR, Ken Byrne, John Heald, etc.

The kinks will be more of crew getting used to new spaces, from engines to kitchen. I've been on a few initial sailings after refurbs where I didn't have hot water, showroom tech systems didn't work, and other issues, but it should be worked out by the time Firenze gets to Long Beach, from wherever it originates. I'm glad I snagged one of the 5-days to Cabo in Dec 2024 for $55/nt for an upper-lower solo cabin. I love Cabo and whale-watching, so it's good to have another choice between dull 4-night Ensenada ones and dull 7-night ones, especially since I don't care for Discovery Princess and Koningsdam, nor can I afford their high prices now. It will make more of a juggling act for 4-night ones that include Catalina, with Radiance and Navigator of the Seas already going there. I'm sure the flocks of seagulls that love Guy's fries will also be overjoyed to have another Carnival ship to feed off of and soil the poop deck (anyone remember the trashy fishing line barriers on top of the Inspiration/Imagination to deter seagull food thieves?)

• Like 1