Long time NCL cruiser. AWEFUL EXPERIENCE!

compfixer

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Just a shot in the dark (and it may already be too late if you cancelled), but @compfixer is there ANY way in the world you could get her a passport? There are options for same-day issue if you have imminent international travel.

If they notified me SOONER I could have the Army base expedite a passport, but it's Friday and supposed to be on way to New York Sunday!

6 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

My issue isn't regarding the passport requirement. However, knowing that a passport is required, why would their system not be set up to have you input the passport info. This whole mess could be avoided with a simple system tweak.

That's a definite...maybe.

Even if the OP checked in ASAP - 21 days out - with the passport processing backlog it's questionable whether it could be obtained, even with an expedite. And if the check-in was closer to the cruise date it would be impossible.

The real problem started farther back in the process an, as I previously posted, whether a new rule caused this obstacle or the passenger simply not having fully understood the requirements.

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Darn! I am really sorry. 😥

Your logic is greatly appreciated in this wonderful world of opinions.  I may not be able to fix this immediately, but I guarantee with 10000% certainty, this will be a battle they won't forget. 

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Can you repost that so that we can read the whole thing?

Here's a copy and paste. 

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We are delighted you have chosen to sail with us and thank you for your loyalty. On behalf of our crew, we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

We have important information regarding your upcoming sailing. We ask Travel Partners to share this information with impacted guests.

As a reminder, a valid passport is required on all sailings that begin in one U.S. port and end in another U.S. port. Guests who fail to present a passport at embarkation will be denied boarding.

We strongly encourage you to visit https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents to ensure you are in compliance and avoid any chance of being denied boarding. 

As you prepare for your upcoming sailing and in order to ensure a seamless embarkation process, all guests are required to complete their online check-in no later than 72 hours prior to embarkation. It is important that you also ensure that all information entered is up to date to avoid any delays and potential denial of boarding. 

Online check-in is available starting at 21 days, and up to 3 days before, the cruise embarkation date. To access your online check in, log in to your MyNCL account at www.ncl.com. 

As always, we are at your service and look forward to providing you with a truly memorable onboard experience!

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Can you repost that so that we can read the whole thing?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

But the cruise line doesn't have to know the required documentation and lets people check in without it??????

They do this thousands of times a day. Shouldn't they (or their check-in system) know better?

I'm guessing the check in system doesn't have validation checks. It just allows any documentation because it doesn't differentiate between closed loop and non-closed. They assume that the customer is reading up on what they need for documents (I would have assumed NY-Miami would be ok, but I also always bring a passport).

It obviously got caught when they started processing the passenger manifest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, compfixer said:

Your logic is greatly appreciated in this wonderful world of opinions.  I may not be able to fix this immediately, but I guarantee with 10000% certainty, this will be a battle they won't forget. 

I checked in yesterday for our upcoming cruise on Nov 2. I was annoyed when I had problems uploading my wife's photo ID (ultimately they said it'd just be taken at the port). I guess I am grateful my issues weren't worse than that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, compfixer said:

She did a Boston to Bermuda cruise in August, it stopped in Bar Harbor Maine where they cleared customs! They didn't leave and end there!

That was still a closed-loop cruise beginning and ending in Boston though, right? A cruise can stop in other US ports, but embarkation and disembarkation needs to happen in the same US port to qualify as closed-loop.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, compfixer said:

She did a Boston to Bermuda cruise in August, it stopped in Bar Harbor Maine where they cleared customs! They didn't leave and end there!

She cleared customs because it was the first US port the ship went to.  Boston to Bermuda is a Closed Loop.  New York to Miami is not.

• Thanks 1

Just now, compfixer said:

That was a CLOSED-loop cruise that started in Boston and ended in Boston with Bermuda as a foreign country. The US citizens did not require passports for those kind of cruises BUT the non-US citizens DO!

FYI, clearing customs is NOT the same as clearing immigration.

The cruise you're going on is NOT a closed-loop cruise but an OPEN-jaw cruise ... leaving from one US port and ending in another US port. And guess what? It must visit a DISTANT foreign port along the way. Bermuda does NOT fit the bill because it is not distant enough. That is why your cruise is going to the ABC islands (distant foreign port) and that requires all passengers to carry passports. You will be subject to clearing both US immigration and customs (hence, passports are required) upon return to Miami.

As for NCL online check ins, they accept anything: old mug shots, BC instead of passport, old passport numbers, cash instead of credit card, etc. BUT the onus is on the passenger to provide correct and essential documentation at the check-in at the PORT.

One example, on the transatlantic cruises from Europe to the USA the online check-ins do not ask the non-US citizens if they have US visa or ESTA. So it is OUR onus to bring the paper ESTA for the agents to see before they can check us in at the terminal.

So sorry that this has happened to your cruisemate, but surely you both should know better, after having been on many cruises.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

That was a CLOSED-loop cruise that started in Boston and ended in Boston with Bermuda as a foreign country. The US citizens did not require passports for those kind of cruises BUT the non-US citizens DO!

FYI, clearing customs is NOT the same as clearing immigration.

The cruise you're going on is NOT a closed-loop cruise but an OPEN-jaw cruise ... leaving from one US port and ending in another US port. And guess what? It must visit a DISTANT foreign port along the way. Bermuda does NOT fit the bill because it is not distant enough. That is why your cruise is going to the ABC islands (distant foreign port) and that requires all passengers to carry passports. You will be subject to clearing both US immigration and customs (hence, passports are required) upon return to Miami.

As for NCL online check ins, they accept anything: old mug shots, BC instead of passport, old passport numbers, cash instead of credit card, etc. BUT the onus is on the passenger to provide correct and essential documentation at the check-in at the PORT.

One example, on the transatlantic cruises from Europe to the USA the online check-ins do not ask the non-US citizens if they have US visa or ESTA. So it is OUR onus to bring the paper ESTA for the agents to see before they can check us in at the terminal.

So sorry that this has happened to your cruisemate, but surely you both should know better, after having been on many cruises.

Aggteed! But it should have been validated and checked if it's s REQUIREMENT! 

Edited by compfixer
PTSD typos. 😂

10 minutes ago, compfixer said:

Here's a copy and paste. 

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We are delighted you have chosen to sail with us and thank you for your loyalty. On behalf of our crew, we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

We have important information regarding your upcoming sailing. We ask Travel Partners to share this information with impacted guests.

As a reminder, a valid passport is required on all sailings that begin in one U.S. port and end in another U.S. port. Guests who fail to present a passport at embarkation will be denied boarding.

We strongly encourage you to visit https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents to ensure you are in compliance and avoid any chance of being denied boarding. 

As you prepare for your upcoming sailing and in order to ensure a seamless embarkation process, all guests are required to complete their online check-in no later than 72 hours prior to embarkation. It is important that you also ensure that all information entered is up to date to avoid any delays and potential denial of boarding. 

Online check-in is available starting at 21 days, and up to 3 days before, the cruise embarkation date. To access your online check in, log in to your MyNCL account at www.ncl.com. 

As always, we are at your service and look forward to providing you with a truly memorable onboard experience!

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Is it possible for this to have worse?

Possibly.

I believe that the issuance of this letter, timing wise, is purely coincidental. Many cruisers received this today, as per posts. And mine is not until January.

It looks like you easily could have found out while checking in at the pier.

Holy crap!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

That was still a closed-loop cruise beginning and ending in Boston though, right? A cruise can stop in other US ports, but embarkation and disembarkation needs to happen in the same US port to qualify as closed-loop.

And it must stop in a foreign port during the cruise, however, the foreign port doesn't need to be distant. Bermuda or Bahamas are okay for closed-loop cruises. For Alaska cruises out of Seattle, Victoria BC is the foreign port and all ships MUST stop in there regardless.

2 minutes ago, compfixer said:

Aggteed! But it should hsvr been vakidstrd and checked if it's s REQUIREMENT! 

Regardless, and we can feel all sorts of mad and point all sorts of fingers (at everyone but ourselves...because it is ALWAYS someone else's fault), but the requirement isn't NCL's...it is the government's requirement. And you agreed that you had the responsibility to verify the required documentation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

to OP, if you're up for it, look into getting a same day appointment in New York Monday morning.  The appointment line is open until 10PM Eastern, and open on the weekends....

• Make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Mondays through Fridays, or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Our appointment line is closed on federal holidays. 
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Capitan Obvious said:

Regardless, and we can feel all sorts of mad and point all sorts of fingers (at everyone but ourselves...because it is ALWAYS someone else's fault), but the requirement isn't NCL's...it is the government's requirement. And you agreed that you had the responsibility to verify the required documentation.

IF its a REQUIREMENT... HENCE DO NOT PROCEED... Then it shouldn't be allowed to process and say see you soon! Book your excursions! Have a happy day!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbrown84 said:

to OP, if you're up for it, look into getting a same day appointment in New York Monday morning.  The appointment line is open until 10PM Eastern, and open on the weekends....

• Make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Mondays through Fridays, or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Our appointment line is closed on federal holidays. 

ahhh, after reading again, I'm not sure if you can walk out with the passport.  worth a phone call though

I'm not jumping through hoops like a circus animal for something I should have been notified of Immediately.

I do appreciate your effort tho. Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, compfixer said:

I'm not jumping through hoops like a circus animal for something I should have been notified of Immediately.

I do appreciate your effort tho. Thank you!

I feel you.  I just feel bad for you.  Only other thing I can suggest is calling NCL and seeing if they will switch you guys to the Escape that is leaving on Sunday.  Of course, then your flights are all out of what for the return.  Just grab some dogs, burgers, charcoal, and beers and have a great stay-cation.  Put up the good fight afterwards

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, compfixer said:

At this point, your options are limited.

Only you can decide if "jumping through hoops" (and paying a bit more) is worth it.

I don't know if your card company will refund anything (we know that NCL won't) but the option posted by dbrown84 might be worth a shot.

Focusing on what should have happened won't cure the problem that actually did happen.

• Like 2

I feel you.  I just feel bad for you.  Only other thing I can suggest is calling NCL and seeing if they will switch you guys to the Escape that is leaving on Sunday.  Of course, then your flights are all out of what for the return.  Just grab some dogs, burgers, charcoal, and beers and have a great stay-cation.  Put up the good fight afterwards

Even if this gets rectified, I have a very bad taste in my mouth from dealing with Corporate at this point.

I have a very bad taste in my mouth from dealing with Corporate at this point.

and although I have been a long-standing and great NCL supporter, I will never step foot on one of their ships ever again

and although I have been a long-standing and great NCL supporter, I will never step foot on one of their ships ever again.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have a lot of phone calls and emails going out! 

😵‍💫

• Like 2