Marina outlets defined

clojacks

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I'm going to risk it again. I understand that Marina has a combination of US plugs and EU/BG plugs, or at least that's what I think I have seen. What I am wondering is if anyone can specifically define which "international" outlets they are, as there are different ones? I was in hopes of getting the specific adapter, that has USB ports and US plugs on it, instead of the multiple location adapters that usually only have 1 US plug-in on it. We sail on Marina right before her refurb, so I am sure the variety and amount of plugs will change after, but I'm wondering what it has right now.

While that may have four USB sockets, take a look at the power ratings for each, along with the max for the device.

Better to just get a plug adapter and a dedicated charger.  The ones that try to do both are usually poor performers.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Better to just get a plug adapter and a dedicated charger.  The ones that try to do both are usually poor performers.

I agree.  Just get the basic adapters for US to EU plugs, and then use your normal US chargers for laptops, tablets, phones, etc. 

This will work great:

https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-Europe-Travel-Converter/dp/B097GCZWMM

If you happen to have chargers that need a grounded 3rd pin, this will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Orei-American-European-Adapters-Certified/dp/B0058EG0KC

Note that this assumes your electronic devices are dual voltage and will work on 120-240 volts, which most modern chargers will do.  If your device is 120 volts only, you need a different and much more expensive adapter.

25 minutes ago, Torquer said:

If your device is 120 volts only, you need a different and much more expensive adapter.

Careful on the terminology.

There is a big difference between an "adapter", which merely provides for a way to use a plug in a different type socket, and a "converter", which changes the voltage of the current.  To use a 120v device with a 240v outlet, you need the voltage converter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

Note that this assumes your electronic devices are dual voltage and will work on 120-240 volts, which most modern chargers will do.  If your device is 120 volts only, you need a different and much more expensive adapter

I do not believe you can find any laptop or smart phone that is not dual voltage...only adapter needed for these.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I do not believe you can find any laptop or smart phone that is not dual voltage...only adapter needed for these.

And if you just assume and don't check.....

Folks need to know the details.  Just like how many will assume that all USB ports provide the same kind of charge for devices, and then complain when the iPad takes forever to charge.

I want to reinforce @FlyerTalker's comments.  Check the overall wattage and the individual wattages.  Many of the 4+ usb port devices don’t support fast charging, even if they use the word fast.   If you don't mind slow charging they may be your solution, but if you expect fast charging, be aware. The onlt multiport fast charger I have found is the 39 or 45 Watt Samsung dual charger...but I amg a Samsung Anfdroid guy, so iv you're an Apply enthusiast, check carefully.

Edited by 1985rz1

9 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And if you just assume and don't check.....

Folks need to know the details.  Just like how many will assume that all USB ports provide the same kind of charge for devices, and then complain when the iPad takes forever to charge.

O my goodness. USB outlets are irrelevant to this thread. I was referring to the ability to use your own plug-in fast charger with an adapter plugged into a 240v plug. Of course user should look at specs on device to assure compatibility with higher European voltage, but I do not believe it will ever be  problem these days. 

6 hours ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

They are EU plugs by the bed.  I was just on Marina and used this plug with 4 USB ports. 

Unidapt Universal Travel Adapter,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XRXRZR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have just one issue with that device...  it does not offer an safety ground.  You may plug a 3-prong plug into it, but it does *not* connect that 3rd pin to the wall.

(It does have a 3rd prong for UK use -- it needs one to open their outlet shutters, but that 3rd pin isn't a conductor.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Guess you missed where the OP specifically mentioned USB.

In the posters defense, as the OP, I was curious about any and all charging options, but may not have been specific about it.

• Thanks 1

So does that mean that there is not any direct dedicated USB port in the room?

All hotels I’ve occupied the last several years have USB ports in desks, walls, lights, radios, clocks, etc.

I’ve also used the USB port on the back of most TVs to charge devices.

1 hour ago, Jockocruiser said:

All hotels I’ve occupied the last several years have USB ports in desks, walls, lights, radios, clocks, etc.

Don't think there has been a refit since we were last on Marina, so AFAIK, no dedicated USB ports.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jockocruiser said:

You do realize that those "dedicated" USB ports may have very limited power output.  And as such, your charging times may be significantly more than if you use a charger built for that purpose.

Unless you know the power rating of the port, you are at the mercy of random chance.

I never use a wall/desk/lamp USB port.  To say nothing about the potential for juice jacking in less scrupulous environments.

15 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

You do realize that those "dedicated" USB ports may have very limited power output.  And as such, your charging times may be significantly more than if you use a charger built for that purpose.

Unless you know the power rating of the port, you are at the mercy of random chance.

I never use a wall/desk/lamp USB port.  To say nothing about the potential for juice jacking in less scrupulous environments.

Your point on power is spot on.  But "juice jacking" is FUD: iOS, Android, and Windows all come configured to require an explicit permission-click on a popup before they will allow data access via USB.

Now, if you've disabled that popup, or you think you'll click yes on "may the airport lounge access your data?"...   😉

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2023 at 3:09 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Better to just get a plug adapter and a dedicated charger.

We've done that for years and years. Has its own little zippered compartment.