Marina November 1 “Holy Lands and Treasures” Itinerary Changes

GeorgiaPeach51

16 minutes ago, basor said:

I am sorry you feel this way - it was an honest question and I have no idea what people consider fair for an itinerary that is so drastically changed.  Perhaps they are waiting to offer something once they know what the final itinerary is as there , obviously, could be more changes before you sail....we have never been in your situation so have no idea what others consider fair...

Nothing personal.  I just have no personal experience with FCC’s.  I’m sure others can weigh in on their FCC experiences.  See @Flatbush Flyer’s post.  Maybe that will help.  I am trying to ratchet my expectations down to ZERO based on feedback on this thread.  

5 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

My intent was to put this out where O may see it, since they probably don’t read the roll calls, where there is ample unhappiness and dissatisfaction, along with some who are happy campers because they have never been to the Greek ports.

@GeorgiaPeach51 You have every right to be disappointed.  You book a cruise, want to go to specific places, choose the cruise based on ports and THIS happens.  I don't think one person who replied does not thing you have ever right to be disappointed.  

Your approach and how your outlined your disappointment was what they were addressing.  I see you posted so "O" could possibly read your comments.  I am sorry to say, they might read it and they will pay it no mind.  I think you posted so you could get others to support your position.  That is human nature and the reason why most folks with complaint, post on social media.  Their words are for them to vent, to gain others who support their positions, and let the world know they are dissatisfied with the product or brand. 

"O" owes you nothing.  We guest are completely nuts to book cruise but we all do.  Most of us don't read the contract, I read it every time to prove, I should have my head examined.  Most cruises go pretty well.  Some cruises there is one thing or another. Then other cruises well, really bad. You are an experienced cruiser, when you saw what was happening in the area, you knew the timing was simply awful for you and your cruise.  You hoped it would not be as bad as it is but well, it is worse then you thought.  My advise is if you have Travel Insurance with the Cancel clause, do it before the cruise cancel deadline on the policy.  Call "O" and talk strategy with them.  Talk to your Travel Agent and talk Strategy.  Nobody wanted this, we did not cause this, you don't deserve t his but it is the world we live in.  

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 8

A couple years ago, we were booked on a Viking Ocean cruise that had a drastic itinerary change due to Covid. They graciously offered full refunds, not just FCC’s, for those of us who were not interested in the changed itinerary.

1 minute ago, kjbacon said:

A couple years ago, we were booked on a Viking Ocean cruise that had a drastic itinerary change due to Covid. They graciously offered full refunds, not just FCC’s, for those of us who were not interested in the changed itinerary.

Unfortunately, cruise lines are much more financially stressed than they were a few years ago.  Not many can afford to be a generous as in previous times.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 1985rz1 said:

Unfortunately, cruise lines are much more financially stressed than they were a few years ago.  Not many can afford to be a generous as in previous times.

Our experience was at the tail end of Covid and not the beginning. I’m not sure that Oceania or Regent are playing the long game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

@1985rz1 I completely agree with you.  The Times They Have Changed.  Where before they could consider full refunds, today with their debt position it is possible but highly unlikely.  The Author made one good point. if something is going to be done, do it sooner vs. later.  That is a fair expectation.  My absolute guess is not matter if they do something, or nothing many will still be disappointed as I would be. 

Simply bad timing. 

@Sthrngary   “I think you posted so you could getothers to support your position.” 

Your approach and how your outlined your disappointment was what they were addressing.”

Hmmm, you  don’t know me, so I guess you can presume anything you want.  However, you are wrong!  I do not care if others agree or not.  This is my cruise and my money, not theirs, and they are not invested in this cruise as I am, so I do not expect people to agree.

And, in addition, I am now being critiqued by how I expressed myself and my approach!?  Really?  😵‍💫🙄.   This, I find very offensive, quite honestly.  That statement is the only one in this long communication that I find truly, truly offensive.  I am stunned that you would say such a thing.

I wanted this on the “record” for Oceania to see, if they will.  If they don’t, they don’t.  Nothing lost but a little time.  And I wanted to see how others with greater experience responded so I could adjust my expectations based on their input.  Calling our TA and O, which we, of course have long ago done, yields no attempts for strategy or discussion, just a flat NO, and refusal to discuss anything.

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Calling our TA and O, which we, of course have long ago done, yields no attempts for strategy or discussion, just a flat NO, and refusal to discuss anything.

Then you have done all you can do and you have your answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone in a similar position to the OP has been posting on the Azamara forum and has a resolution. They were offered the choice of either rebooking a cruise with similar itinerary (e.g. Israel) for a future sailing OR use a full credit for the cruise on a different upcoming cruise. The OP on that thread seemed quite happy with this resolution.

@GeorgiaPeach51 if I were you I would be proactive and go in with an actual request rather than waiting for them to approach you with an offer. If there is another cruise you’d consider moving your booking to, suggest it. Get your TA involved if they aren’t already helping you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We're on the Barcelona to Dubai cruise in November, and of course our Israel ports are cancelled.  For years, we were afraid to book a cruise with these ports, knowing something might happen, and with this booking we went in eyes open.  We knew Oceania would have to find alternative ports, in competition with other cruise lines looking for open berths on short notice.  It wouldn't make economic sense for Oceania to allow full cancellations under these circumstances.  We've had port changes at the last minute before due to a hurricane in Mexico, certainly disappointing, but the best that could be done.  As someone said, a lot of the pleasure is in the cruise itself, and I'm looking forward to this one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

Have you called your insurance company since posting this to find out where you stand financially under a possible civil unrest clause?

Not to be facetious, but good luck with that.  We are well into "act of war" territory.  😢

• Like 1

@cruisemom42  Thank you for a post that is helpful rather than critical!  A breath of fresh air!  

We contacted our TA two days ago requesting a FCC for the full cruise just to see what would happen.  He called O for us and that is when we got the response, “It is a hard no.”  We also wrote to C. Ortega and Oceania Public Relations requesting an FCC.  Got no response except an out of office response, nor did we expect  a response.  Not sure what else we can do, but really appreciate the suggestion.

We have not thought to find an alternate booking.  That is a great idea!  We will give that a try. 

@Vineyard View yes, thanks.  We will be on the phone with them tomorrow morning.  It is confusing….we use Chase Sapphire to cover things like trip interruptions, cancellations, etc.  their list of benefits is confusing.  On the one hand they say acts of terrorism are covered if they affect your cruise.  There are five different parameters that must be met and this situation meets all of them.  On the other hand, they say acts of war are not covered.  So it is anybody’s guess what that means regarding this conflict which seems to me to be a combination of both.  I’m guessing they will call this an act of war, but will post what we find out.

Thanks to you both for helpful suggestions.  Much appreciated.  

Joanie

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@cruisemom42  Thank you for a post that is helpful rather than critical!  A breath of fresh air!  

We contacted our TA two days ago requesting a FCC for the full cruise just to see what would happen.  He called O for us and that is when we got the response, “It is a hard no.”  We also wrote to C. Ortega and Oceania Public Relations requesting an FCC.  Got no response except an out of office response, nor did we expect  a response.  Not sure what else we can do, but really appreciate the suggestion.

We have not thought to find an alternate booking.  That is a great idea!  We will give that a try. 

@Vineyard View yes, thanks.  We will be on the phone with them tomorrow morning.  It is confusing….we use Chase Sapphire to cover things like trip interruptions, cancellations, etc.  their list of benefits is confusing.  On the one hand they say acts of terrorism are covered if they affect your cruise.  There are five different parameters that must be met and this situation meets all of them.  On the other hand, they say acts of war are not covered.  So it is anybody’s guess what that means regarding this conflict which seems to me to be a combination of both.  I’m guessing they will call this an act of war, but will post what we find out.

Thanks to you both for helpful suggestions.  Much appreciated.  

Joanie

Israel has declared war. I too was confused when looking at travel insurance small print. Very sketchy, ultimately, they will probably deny a claim either way. Not really surprised.

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

Our experience was at the tail end of Covid and not the beginning. I’m not sure that Oceania or Regent are playing the long game.

I'm not so sure they aren't. The financial stresses really starting taking a toll towards the end when cruise lines began to start up again.  I don't have the dark interpretations that some folks on this board have. Oceania has to face its investors and have to make financial decisions that are best for them, not for the clients, although the two are intertwined. Having no experience in managing a multi-billion dollar hospitality company, I don't feel qualified to second guess them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I have never before purchased a cruise and had the itinerary changed BEFORE sailing.

I really sympathize with your situation and understand the pure frustration you are feeling.  I do hope that you can work something out that is satisfactory.

However, as far as pre-sailing changes go,  we have an October 2024 cruise that was booked as Venice to Istanbul, and it was changed a few months ago to Rome to Istanbul.  So we lost Venice and the Croatian ports and got Rome, Sicily, and Amalfi instead.  That was a significant change to the first half of our cruise.  So things happen out of O's control...in this case Venice's ban on ships caused our change.  I don't know why they adjusted to the cruise this way, but port scheduling is complicated, so I have to trust their judgement. We are all in the dark on what factors go into such changes.

Fortunately, we are not in a penalty period, so we can still cancel if we want, but O did offer us $250 OBC because of the itinerary change. We decided to stick with the cruise, at least for now, and hope that the conflict doesn't boil over into Turkey.

So good luck and, as you indicated, keep you expectations low.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

The Author when asked about Travel Insurance brought up "Safire Card". Another words, a credit card.  That is kind of Travel Insurance Lite.  This would indicate the author does not have a third part Insurance Policy outside of the credit card.  My I suggest, when cruising to consider full travel insurance to all that read this.  Read the fine print of course but do your due diligence.  Long story but I got really lucky and did buy travel insurance and it save me lots of money.  

The below link takes about travel insurance companies exclusions if an act of war or terrorism.  It is an interesting read.  

https://insuranceblob.com/does-travel-insurance-cover-acts-of-war/ 

My gut, after some research tells me that canceling is hit/miss with the best of the best result without the War/Terrorism add-on.  This is simply a bad situation for a lot of people all around. 

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@GeorgiaPeach51 Try this tactic:  "Oceania diverted *before* Israel declared war"?

Good luck. 🤞   You'll likely need to not take "no" for an answer through several escalations, tho

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

@GeorgiaPeach51 Try this tactic:  "Oceania diverted *before* Israel declared war"?

Good luck. 🤞   You'll likely need to not take "no" for an answer through several escalations, tho

Well, aren’t you clever!  Would never have thought of it!  Thanks so much.  I’ll let you know if it works!

Joanie

7 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

… I am hoping for the same good will from Oceania, even though, just as in the thousands of other cases of FCC’s being awarded, it goes against Oceania’s stated policies.

So…. How about being patient since the situation is still quite fluid. Yours is not the only cruise affected by current unrest and other issues. 
All you can do at this point is decide to bail out and face any $ penalty consequences OR trust that O will make the REASONABLY best decisions on everything from additional itinerary changes to some sort of compensation (despite their not having to do anything. 
And, if things don’t work out the way YOU want, your decision about whether to do a future O cruise will be further informed.

• Like 2

I wonder what compensation would be demanded if a ship went to a war zone and God forbid,  the passengers were kidnapped or killed?  

You have your health,  you have the SAME ship with the same amenities.  Talk about first world problems.   

Do you realize how difficult it is to completely change an itinerary with little notice? Not only does each port have to have space but you have to make sure the ship can travel those distances, be within its supply chain,  have whatever clearances and visas are needed for the crew, etc.  It's a miracle that this was even accomplished in a week.  While you might be disappointed with where you're going,  I think it's a small miracle that you're going at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

You're welcome -- tho when a GRITS* says that, I'm just a tad less worried than when she says "Bless yer heart!"  😉

*Gal Raised In The South

LOL!  It was definitely a sincere compliment!  You are right about the real meaning of Bless Your Heart, though, and the inflection with which it is said.  That’s the REAL nuance and you have to listen carefully to know where you really stand!  😍. Thanks for the laugh!

Joanie