Has the dinner with Officers perk been discontinued?

Always Cruising

I was on the Oct 11 Joy and it wasn't available.  I thought it might have been because the cruise was only a 5 day.  Other guests had just been on two 7 day back to back  cruises, and it wasn't offered then, either.  It was done on my Sept 3 Escape.  Hope it's not another bit of cost cutting;, as is discontinuing the complimentary bottle of sparkling wine for all Latitudes members.  

5 minutes ago, Always Cruising said:

I was on the Oct 11 Joy and it wasn't available.  I thought it might have been because the cruise was only a 5 day.  Other guests had just been on two 7 day back to back  cruises, and it wasn't offered then, either.  It was done on my Sept 3 Escape.  Hope it's not another bit of cost cutting;, as is discontinuing the complimentary bottle of sparkling wine for all Latitudes members.  

Dinner for officer, “costs cutting”? 🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

its most likely due to a crew availability issue. that officer that was assigned most likely had work related things to attend to first

My friends had it cancelled/not available for the 3rd cruise in a row - so seems to be a pattern.  And CruiseNext desk said it "seems to have been discontinued."

Edited by Always Cruising

2 minutes ago, Always Cruising said:

Having to have 2 "officers" leave their jobs and someone cover them, and giving free drinks to people who may not have had the drink package - minor cost cutting.  But a cutback, none the same.

There ain't no accounting ledger that has THAT many decimals points.... 🤣

• Haha 2

If Dining with Officers is not openly offered then go to the Future Cruise Desk on the first day and ask; VERY politely; "Why Not?".

If the answer isn't al all convincing go and talk to the GM's secretary as that is the person who makes the arrangements; Future Cruise only collects names.

We had a very unusual dinner with the officers on the Star last week, two officers ( Guest Services and HR ) and 17 PAX, with one huge square table. GM and several other officers stopped by and said hi. The coordinator of the event had a list with pictures of the PAX and their names under each picture.  

• Like 1

We were on the Joy for B2B2B beginning 9/25 and the dinner with the officers was not held on any of them. Neither was the VIP party in the Haven. The Q&A with the Captain and Chief Engineer was held on the first 2 cruises, but neither of them hung around afterwards to schmooze, as they often do. 

The CN team and the GMs secretary said the changes were due to “precautionary” reasons. Both used that same word. 

My wife and I had sailed with Captain Hakan so many times that we got together with him for about an hour in the Haven’s Horizon Lounge. When I asked him point blank if all these changes were due to Covid, he said no, it was actually the flu that was running through the crew. 

We first sailed with him on the new Breakaway in September 2013, so I don’t think he would lie to us. ie say it was the flu when it was really Covid. 

14 hours ago, cruiservictor said:

We were on the Joy for B2B2B beginning 9/25 and the dinner with the officers was not held on any of them.

onboard the joy right now for a B2B and jealous of your third “B.”

not being offered on this current 10/16 cruise, either.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

We had a very unusual dinner with the officers on the Star last week, two officers ( Guest Services and HR ) and 17 PAX, with one huge square table. GM and several other officers stopped by and said hi. The coordinator of the event had a list with pictures of the PAX and their names under each picture.  

That seems to be the way they like to do it on the Star. 

We had 3 officers and CN manager.

Our trip had so many the did 2 nights.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruiservictor said:

We were on the Joy for B2B2B beginning 9/25 and the dinner with the officers was not held on any of them. Neither was the VIP party in the Haven. The Q&A with the Captain and Chief Engineer was held on the first 2 cruises, but neither of them hung around afterwards to schmooze, as they often do. 

The CN team and the GMs secretary said the changes were due to “precautionary” reasons. Both used that same word. 

My wife and I had sailed with Captain Hakan so many times that we got together with him for about an hour in the Haven’s Horizon Lounge. When I asked him point blank if all these changes were due to Covid, he said no, it was actually the flu that was running through the crew. 

We first sailed with him on the new Breakaway in September 2013, so I don’t think he would lie to us. ie say it was the flu when it was really Covid. 

We were on the Joy last week and no dinner, captain no-showed to the latitudes party, no VIP parties in the haven or District that I know of.