Price drop equals nothing

My cruise price was cut in half the last few days. I am Platinum.They would not budge on upgrade or credit.This is not a way to retain repeat customers.Even a supervisor said no.Have any of you tried to get perks after price drop?

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, garsny said:

My cruise price was cut in half the last few days. I am Platinum.They would not budge on upgrade or credit.This is not a way to retain repeat customers.Even a supervisor said no.Have any of you tried to get perks after price drop?

Thanks.

If you are platinum you should be well aware that getting a price drop credit after final payment is unlikely. Also do you have airfare? That locks in your rate after final

payment since you’re not making an identical comparison to the current rate or offer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

our cruise next month dropped $1000 ($500 each) earlier this month, so i called NCL and asked for the one-time FCC. it was approved, but for $2000.

last week the price dropped again and our cabin is now $2000 less than what we paid, so i called NCL and was able to upgrade based on the price difference (which should cancel the FCC).

the NCL rep encouraged me to keep checking up until 15 days out since she thought we’d be eligible for the FCC since we cancelled the first request.

Here’s what I learned when the price dropped on our cruise about 4 weeks out from sail date - if the promos aren’t the same, it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Now maybe I’m wrong, but that’s the way our TA explained it. I think for us, even though we didn’t use it, the ‘gotcha’ was the airfare deal. 

Our TA did ask if there was a cabin we wanted to try to upgrade to based on the listed prices versus what we paid. There was not, so that was as far as I took it. Bottom line, we were happy enough with the price when we booked it. Never hurts to try for credit when/if the price goes down, but there’s no point in getting upset if it doesn’t happen. 

• Like 3

I was able to get a future cruise credit after a price drop and after final payment. I called NCL and the agent asked if I wanted an upgrade or future cruise credit. The agent submitted a request and I got an email that as a one time good will gesture. This was a couple months ago.

38 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

If you are platinum you should be well aware that getting a price drop credit after final payment is unlikely. Also do you have airfare? That locks in your rate after final

payment since you’re not making an identical comparison to the current rate or offer. 

I live in Fort Lauderdale.No air.

28 minutes ago, garsny said:

I live in Fort Lauderdale.No air.

And you’ve made final payment?

If so you can request to apply for FCC to offset the difference. It’s not guaranteed and you can’t do it within 15 days of the cruise. 

Good luck!

Edited by KSSS2013
Q

It’s likely that you selected your cabin, and now at the lower price the only cabins are guarantee.  This would make it an apple/orange comparison and therefore not eligible for a FCC. Also, if your within two weeks of sailing, you can’t get a FCC.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, garsny said:

This is not a way to retain repeat customers.

You booked and made final payment on a cruise at a price you were happy with, right?  What happens with subsequent pricing should be of no concern then.  Would you expect NCL to call you and ask you to pay more if the cabin price INCREASES?  That's basically what you're doing to them by demanding to get the lower price. 

Have I been monitoring the price of the cruise I have booked?  You bet!  However - I booked it in late June and it's now 98 days to sailing and the price is HIGHER than I paid.  I'm certainly not offering NCL any more money!

As others have said - getting a re-fare is not guaranteed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wxtrix said:

our cruise next month dropped $1000 ($500 each) earlier this month, so i called NCL and asked for the one-time FCC. it was approved, but for $2000.

last week the price dropped again and our cabin is now $2000 less than what we paid, so i called NCL and was able to upgrade based on the price difference (which should cancel the FCC).

the NCL rep encouraged me to keep checking up until 15 days out since she thought we’d be eligible for the FCC since we cancelled the first request.

FWIW on our recent GEM sailing we upgraded after final payment and receiving FCC for a price drop on the original cabin.  We still received the FCC after sailing but I wasn't expecting it...  I would have been happy no matter how things turned out...

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

We booked a spa club balcony on the escape and of course since then NCL has discon'd the "spa rooms".  So we basically now have a club balcony with a comp'd spa pass.  I inquired about just changing to a club balcony room on a different deck (kinda worried about noise on deck 15 rooms, but that's where the spa club balc's were) as the club balcony rooms are much less now.   Since we were around 60-70 days at that point, if we changed we'd have had a huge penalty because even though they have changed it, the room is still an M9 (i think) and a normal club balcony isnt.. So.. it would have been a change even though exactly the same room.. I'm bummed, but hey, I chose to upgrade when it was actually cheaper to upgrade instead of buying the spa passes.  So I'm not getting all upset about it.  It's the rules I chose to play by, don't like them, but gonna go and have a great time, and have learned.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

It’s likely that you selected your cabin, and now at the lower price the only cabins are guarantee.  This would make it an apple/orange comparison and therefore not eligible for a FCC. Also, if you’re within two weeks of sailing, you can’t get a FCC.

I would bet this is the issue.  The cabin category they current have is not the same as the one they are seeing the lower price on. 

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

while i certainly see your point, and sympathize with your position, i believe the best you can be is p****d off. to me, it's like anything you buy that goes on sale later on. If the prices drops, cars, appliances, groceries, etc. once you've bought and paid for the goods, if they go down later on, you're pretty much out of luck. if you do get either a fcc, or on board credit, consider it an unearned gift or a goodwill gesture

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

It’s likely that you selected your cabin, and now at the lower price the only cabins are guarantee.  This would make it an apple/orange comparison and therefore not eligible for a FCC. Also, if your within two weeks of sailing, you can’t get a FCC.

OP appears to be sailing in 4 days.  That pretty much explains it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

If your same cabin is now lower, you can request a FCC after final payment. Our November, 2022 TA cabin dropped $1100 ($550 per person) after final payment. A five minute call to our PCC got the ball rolling. He submitted a request on our behalf and about three days later we had a FCC for $1100 in our NCL account.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

If your same cabin is now lower, you can request a FCC after final payment. Our November, 2022 TA cabin dropped $1100 ($550 per person) after final payment. A five minute call to our PCC got the ball rolling. He submitted a request on our behalf and about three days later we had a FCC for $1100 in our NCL account.

A PP said the cruised is in 4 days, way too late for anything.

6 hours ago, garsny said:

This is not a way to retain repeat customers.

You can always switch to Royal with higher, non-refundable deposits, which you lose if you choose to rebook at a lower price. I'll stick with NCL. Their low refundable deposits, and easy re-fares before final payment, are about a good a deal as it gets.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

A PP said the cruised is in 4 days, way too late for anything.

That's fine. I wasn't replying to the OP. I was replying to the comment I quoted that said you can't get a FCC if the only cabins available are guarantees and is an apples to oranges issue. My example is not apples to oranges...it is apples to apples.

As far as cruising in four days, where did the OP say that?

Edited by schmoopie17

7 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

That's fine. I wasn't replying to the OP. I was replying to the comment I quoted that said you can't get a FCC if the only cabins available are guarantees and is an apples to oranges issue. My example is not apples to oranges...it is apples to apples.

As far as cruising in four days, where did the OP say that?

Pretty easy to look at a profile and figure it out.

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Pretty easy to look at a profile and figure it out.

Okay...but I don't typically spend time researching people's profiles to see all their prior posts before responding to a topic. Besides, my reply was not directed to the OP...it was a general observation in case people were unaware that this can be done after final payment.

Edited by schmoopie17