Booking the Sanctuary

trbarton

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Hear ya.  Then perhaps a Super Premier package?  I do know I would not pay $56.50/day or $565 for a 10-nighter in Caribbean just to get access to book a lounger.  (That is my net after deducting Internet and CA).

Still creates even more of a status structure than exists today for Suites and Elites.  Only thing I can think is the B2B'ers generate more revenue for PCL than a single voyage booker.  It's never going to be enough on certain voyages in certain sectors.  Perhaps a lottery of some sort is a fair way to go.  

Same shortage exists for CTL and WMD and now 360.

And the Sun is catering the Sanctuary to Suite guests with the Suite Sun deck 🙂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

They really should update and allow booking online prior to the cruise.  You can almost get trampled by people trying to rush the doors when they open up boarding trying to get up there.

Advantage early bookers. 

Unless they open it up at a set number of days prior to the sail date.  It would end up like DMW, however, with no location picking and guests would just be randomly assigned to loungers.  It would also be like trying to get tickets on TM for a popular concert (e.g. Taylor Swift and Bruce Springsteen) - without the scalper pricing. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Advantage early bookers. 

Early bookers who are either in transit or elite/platinum since they board first.  I don't personally care, but I would guess this is excluding a lot of people who might want to book there.

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

ith no location picking and guests would just be randomly assigned to loungers.

They could do similar to airlines.  Of course their IT is downright terrible, so that is probably a bad ideal 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 9:50 PM, trbarton said:

Thanks. I’m there at the terminal & am usually one of the 1st to board so I’ll rush right up there so that I can get the lounger that I want. Do you remember what the charge was?

Thanks to everyone. 

Tom😀👍

We paid 25 for 4 hrs & 40 per day(Lounger) I my self stay out of the sun. We book only sea days.

On 10/24/2023 at 4:48 PM, voljeep said:

face it - suites pay for the cabin and breakfast in Sabatini's and Reserved dining - do they get unlimited casual dining? - do they get 2 specialty dinners each - or just the one on embarkation day? reserved seating in the theatre for production shows? - pictures? door prizes? specialty deserts? fitness classes?

It's not about cabin status - it's about the Premier package

You are spot-on.  Suite perks are a bit light compared to the cruising competition.  Providing the option to buy a Sanctuary pass seems like an easy sweetener to the deal.  That said, given the high cost of a suite, the Sanctuary cost upcharge is relatively minor, so many would likely buy it....and may never use it, which would be a real shame as those that make the dash to buy the pass are really committed to using it.

Maybe make the Sanctuary more like "The Vibe" on NCL?  Meaning, drop the idea of choosing your own lounger (which always seemed odd to me) then sell it online for early bookings? 

The only skin I have in this game is that my wife likes the Sanctuary and I make the dash for the pass... for her only....to me, it's a boring, do-nothing,  lifeless study hall....snooze..🥱.

34 minutes ago, JGmf said:

You are spot-on.  Suite perks are a bit light compared to the cruising competition.  Providing the option to buy a Sanctuary pass seems like an easy sweetener to the deal.  That said, given the high cost of a suite, the Sanctuary cost upcharge is relatively minor, so many would likely buy it....and may never use it, which would be a real shame as those that make the dash to buy the pass are really committed to using it.

Maybe make the Sanctuary more like "The Vibe" on NCL?  Meaning, drop the idea of choosing your own lounger (which always seemed odd to me) then sell it online for early bookings? 

The only skin I have in this game is that my wife likes the Sanctuary and I make the dash for the pass... for her only....to me, it's a boring, do-nothing,  lifeless study hall....snooze..🥱.

Having a specific chair in a specific place ( whether you like sun or shade) that you know is yours is most of the appeal. Your idea loses all of that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chamima said:

Having a specific chair in a specific place ( whether you like sun or shade) that you know is yours is most of the appeal. Your idea loses all of that. 

Absolutely. Given the design of most of the Sanctuaries, with so many loungers in the blazing sun with no shade to speak of, not having the ability to select the SPECIFIC lounger would be dreadful.

• Like 2

What kind of stateroom did you book?  I believe Suite guests may be complementary but I not aware of anyone else. 

Use this link for more information. 

https://www.princesscruises.de/en/holiday-princess/onboard-activities/lotus-spa-fitness/sanctuary/2353

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

57 minutes ago, trbarton said:

What kind of stateroom did you book?  I believe Suite guests may be complementary but I not aware of anyone else. 

Use this link for more information. 

https://www.princesscruises.de/en/holiday-princess/onboard-activities/lotus-spa-fitness/sanctuary/2353

Tom😀

The Sanctuary a pay $$$ for venue. Not a perk for suite guests

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruisintimer said:

We have never booked it.  Maybe someone who really enjoys it can explain why it is so popular, ty in advance.

Read about it and see a somewhat dated video on Princess.com.  Try Googling for more info and opinions.  It is a quiet oasis with luxury-type loungers.  On Royal Class ships, not a lot of shade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Read about it and see a somewhat dated video on Princess.com.  Try Googling for more info and opinions.  It is a quiet oasis with luxury-type loungers.  On Royal Class ships, not a lot of shade.

Well put, only way to really know is try it.

I the early years it was easy to get a space, now it’s a race on embarkation day with B2B cruisers reserving before you. Yes and shade is a premium.

3 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

We have never booked it.  Maybe someone who really enjoys it can explain why it is so popular, ty in advance.

A comfy lounge chair that is totally yours so you can come and go as you please, incredible service, being spoiled all day, afternoon tea being brought to your lounge chair, chilled wash cloths, etc. 

One of my favorite places to spend a day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will not have priority boarding. From what I am reading I am unlikely to get a sanctuary spot? Trying to decide what time to arrive at port, am taking the train and need to figure out what time to book the train.

6 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

A comfy lounge chair that is totally yours so you can come and go as you please, incredible service, being spoiled all day, afternoon tea being brought to your lounge chair, chilled wash cloths, etc. 

One of my favorite places to spend a day. 

It's totally unnecessary to pay extra for a lounge chair when there are free chairs all over the ship so whatever you do, DON'T book the Sanctuary. (Same thing I say to people about booking the few truly aft cabins on the ship that we love.)

Seriously people, it's already hard to get a seat up there - you don't need to be convincing anyone new!  😉😉😉

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, awatt said:

I will not have priority boarding. From what I am reading I am unlikely to get a sanctuary spot? Trying to decide what time to arrive at port, am taking the train and need to figure out what time to book the train.

Because of how princess does it, if you do want a sanctuary spot, go as early as possible to give you the best opportunity. 

1 hour ago, chamima said:

It's totally unnecessary to pay extra for a lounge chair when there are free chairs all over the ship so whatever you do, DON'T book the Sanctuary. (Same thing I say to people about booking the few truly aft cabins on the ship that we love.)

Seriously people, it's already hard to get a seat up there - you don't need to be convincing anyone new!  😉😉😉

You are right, it's a terrible place and so not worth it 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, JGmf said:

The Vibe works on NCL because of The Haven. Having a suites-only area for people paying a high-entry price point, leaves room for The Vibe for people that want to hack their cruise to be more like The Haven. 

Princess and other cruise lines are leaving plenty of upsell on the table by limiting increased service options to a finite area. One option is to “legalize” chair hogging. Policing chair hogs costs time and resources with nothing in return. So, legalize, protect and tax people that want prime chairs on a cruise. Have butlers or personal assistants that make this happen. The service has a base cost for entry level selection and amenities and increases with add-ons. Basic rate gets you a guaranteed reserved chair in a category (sun or shade) priority with priority Medallion ordering (drinks and food come faster). Levels increase with the specificity of location and duration of use. 
You either do away with the Sanctuary, or increase the cost. 

For those of you to young to remember - when we first started cruising you were assigned a deck chair (and a deck steward) upon boarding. EVERYONE - from inside cabins to suites. You met a deck steward the first day and he or she walked you around the ship to show you the choices of locations for your chair. Then a small paper slip with your name on it was inserted into a little slot at the top of the chair. No chair hogs, no towels holding chairs, just a civilized organization.

For some of us the Sanctuary brings back that civility.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chamima said:

For those of you to young to remember - when we first started cruising you were assigned a deck chair (and a deck steward) upon boarding. EVERYONE - from inside cabins to suites. You met a deck steward the first day and he or she walked you around the ship to show you the choices of locations for your chair. Then a small paper slip with your name on it was inserted into a little slot at the top of the chair. No chair hogs, no towels holding chairs, just a civilized organization.

For some of us the Sanctuary brings back that civility.

Given the size restraint and consequent exclusivity of the Sanctuary, provide a hybrid service for anywhere on the ship. It can’t be for everyone, because unlike the early years of cruising, the ships are larger and accommodate many more passengers.