Pre-cruise two days in Paris w/Avalon

Suzanne123

I haven’t booked the extra days yet, so my documents only show the cruise itinerary.
Some cruises have a pre-cruise extension included, but in my case, the web site allows me to choose one or two days in Paris to add to the two week cruise. There is no description other than a hotel, but perhaps that’s all that is included.

In case anyone else is looking or the same information,

“If you wanted to book prenights in Paris through Avalon, the cost is $239 per person per night.   It includes daily breakfast and a transfer to the ship for embarkation.  Transfers to the hotel would be $55 per person.  Excursions are not included nor offered.  You would be on your own.”

6 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

In case anyone else is looking or the same information,

“If you wanted to book prenights in Paris through Avalon, the cost is $239 per person per night.   It includes daily breakfast and a transfer to the ship for embarkation.  Transfers to the hotel would be $55 per person.  Excursions are not included nor offered.  You would be on your own.”

Check the retail cost for the same hotel, and remember that Avalon is charging per person while the hotel charges per room.  Pre- and post-cruise extensions are very pricy, unless you really value their handling the booking and transfer for you.

• Like 2

If I may butt in, we stayed at the Hotel Madison and really enjoyed it.  It is a small hotel in the St. Germaine area, within walking distance to everything, lots of restaurants, and they have a self-service laundry you can use if you need to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We did our own thing in Paris.  Mostly because two days wasn't enough in fact three nights wasn't enough.  We had a great hotel in the St Germaine district.  Hôtel d'Angleterre was just short walk to Louve and little longer walk to Eiffel tower.  Many small cafes nearby.   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm doing the Rhine in November.  For the first time in my life, I booked the pre-package of Lake Como and Lucerne because I wanted to see them.  And I didn't want to dork around with transfers and bags.  I was quite surprised to find that the package is VERY expensive and there's little extra added.  I'm paying a high price for convenience, but for this trip, it was necessary. Probably never do it again tho.  Paris in particular is a piece of cake to visit independently.  Other than George Clooney, I don't know much about Como or Lucerne.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I'm doing the Rhine in November.  For the first time in my life, I booked the pre-package of Lake Como and Lucerne because I wanted to see them.  And I didn't want to dork around with transfers and bags.  I was quite surprised to find that the package is VERY expensive and there's little extra added.  I'm paying a high price for convenience, but for this trip, it was necessary. Probably never do it again tho.  Paris in particular is a piece of cake to visit independently.  Other than George Clooney, I don't know much about Como or Lucerne.

I agree that cruise line land packages are usually poor value propositions, but sometimes the transportation and other ease factors make it worthwhile anyway.  On our first river cruise we took a post-cruise extension from Basel to Lucerne and Zurich because we had no experience traveling in Europe (except a long long time ago when we were young and fancy-free) and no German – I'm still glad we did that one.  Next year we are taking another AMA post-cruise extension from Bordeaux to the Loire Valley and then to CDG – also worth it because it includes transportation that would be hard to do without a rental car.  I think the Italian Lakes is another area like that, so you made a good decision. 

• Like 2

I always look at the included excursions with the extensions. I did take an extension in Milan because it included hard to get Last Supper and a private boat tour of Lake Como. 

I also took the extension in Munich because it included Neuschwanstein Castle. 

Many times the extension leaves the entire afternoon free so you have to do research anyway. Obtain tickets or tours to popular sites beforehand. 

• Like 2