Aruba Excursions?

Gigi816

Kind of depends on what kind of excursions you like.

We've been to Aruba twice.  First time we did the Jolly Pirate's sail and snorkel (booked it 3rd party).  It was fun but I think there are better options.  Crew were great, and it was fun to be on a "pirate ship" but the snorkeling was just o.k.

The second time we booked through Royal.  We booked the Aruba Sea & See Island Tour 

Everyone in our group of 10 really liked this one.  It's a bus/boat combo.  It gives you a decent appreciation for the island as a whole, as well as some sightseeing (without having to snorkle).  We started out on a bus and stopped at the lighthouse.  Great view back to the main port and coast.  Then we went to the rocky north coast.  Then to some huge boulder formations that you can take stairs to the top of.  Really cool.  Then we boarded the SeaWorld explorer on which you go to the inside bottom of the boat  It has windows and is below water level to see tropical fish/creatures and shipwreck.

A third option is just to take a taxi to Eagle Beach.  It's a relaxing way to have an inexpensive day at a beautiful beach.

Here are some photos from the second excursion I mentioned

image.thumb.jpeg.976bf4990a438fee1a5e0d1e3f5371b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cef0014680f555383fc3c19c0cedbc0d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1b6aac9970cfd1a9b623b0d6f9d6daf3.jpeg

Edited by The Fun Researcher

I’ve stayed on Aruba twice (not as part of a cruise). We did a jeep tour one time that took us to the lighthouse and the other side of the island that was pretty cool. Then we ate lunch at a local spot and ended at a beach. It was a pretty fun day. There were some cruise passengers on our tour and they dropped them off at the port when we were done. If you want to see the entire island, I recommend a tour like that. Otherwise, for a beach day definitely hit Eagle beach. 

1 hour ago, Gigi816 said:

We've never been to Aruba so we're looking for advice/recommendations on an excursion in Aruba. March 2024. TIA

1.  Look at ports of call

2.  how long are you in port?  How many of you?  Mixed ages? kids? toddlers? difficulty walking?

3.  Would you prefer land or sea or both?

4.  Do you like active such as snorkeling or ATV or prefer beach?

5.  Are you comfortable with DIY which is a definite in Aruba?

Aruba has a great tourism website that you can peruse to see what interests you.  The Aruba port of call also has excellent ideas.  

It's always best to research what interests you then ask on the boards what excursions should I do?  (eg - you may want to snorkel from shore - post where is a good beach or area to do this from?) People have been very helpful in my planning (especially Alaska) but I also read about each port as well.  

Edited by jean87510

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

A third option is just to take a taxi to Eagle Beach.  It's a relaxing way to have an inexpensive day at a beautiful beach

Even better , take the continuously looping buses ! much cheaper , and the station is right across the cruise terminal

Cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

Even better , take the continuously looping buses ! much cheaper , and the station is right across the cruise terminal

Cheers

We took a bus to to Arashi beach where we swam, snorkeled and even walked to California lighthouse

• Like 1

There are bus tours available just outside the terminal doors. No need to prebook. We've done one of these and it was great. Went around the island stopping at many sites and then you had the option to stay at the beach (they gave you a time and would be back to pick you up) but we opted to continue back into town. I think we paid $20 pp.

The main contractor the ship uses is DePalm Tours, so check their web site for what is available and the non-ship price.  Really depends on how long you will be in port and what your group likes.  We have done most of what they offer, including their private island and the UTV tour (really fun but expensive and DIRTY).  See and Sea isn't bad (Atlantis sub is better).  Generally we just cross the street  to the bus terminal and take the number 10 bus north until we decide to get off (Palm Beach).  Walk beach until tired and get back on bus for return.  Cost is around $5 round trip each.  Lots of activities on the beach if you want them, or chairs/umbrellas on Eagle Beach.

The natural bridge collapsed in 2005 but there are several other smaller ones that they now take you to.  East side of island is desert.

3 hours ago, LeeW said:

The natural bridge collapsed in 2005 but there are several other smaller ones that they now take you to.  East side of island is desert.

True unfortunately.  The bigger one did but “baby bridge” is still standing.  It’s still pretty dang big IMO

The one in my photo still stands.  I was there last summer 2022.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 3:48 PM, Ashland said:

There are bus tours available just outside the terminal doors. No need to prebook. We've done one of these and it was great. Went around the island stopping at many sites and then you had the option to stay at the beach (they gave you a time and would be back to pick you up) but we opted to continue back into town. I think we paid $20 pp.

Where do these take you? Can you set your own itinerary, or do they just go to all of the main sightseeing stops?

On 10/25/2023 at 2:16 PM, LobsterStalker said:

Does the bus go to non-beach sightseeing places, like the Donkey Sanctuary and Arikok, etc.? I'm debating whether or not to rent a car - there will be 6 of us and we have a scuba trip in the morning but are in port until late and want to sightsee in the afternoon. 

12 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Where do these take you? Can you set your own itinerary, or do they just go to all of the main sightseeing stops?

Does the bus go to non-beach sightseeing places, like the Donkey Sanctuary and Arikok, etc.? I'm debating whether or not to rent a car - there will be 6 of us and we have a scuba trip in the morning but are in port until late and want to sightsee in the afternoon. 

This is the description off the web .

More Specific Routes are at Arubus.com . You should be able to find everything there , but they cover most of the island I believe

"The busses on the island belong to Arubus, the major public transportation company owned by the Government of Aruba.

Aruba bus routes cover almost the entire island and stop at all hotels. If you want to see the exact routes or the full Aruba bus map, check out the website of Arubus.

There is bus service every 15 minutes from 5:45 a.m. until 6 p.m.; buses then run every 40 minutes until 11:30 p.m. The central bus station in downtown Oranjestad is located adjacent to the cruise terminal and next to Royal Plaza. Would you like to know what time the bus pays your stop a visit? The website of Arubus shows you the route and the Aruba bus schedule for each route.

The Aruba bus stops are easy to find. There is a visible sign on the side of the bus. For instance the stop at your hotel will display the hotel and town that each individual bus is in route too "

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 12:10 PM, LobsterStalker said:

This is the description off the web .

More Specific Routes are at Arubus.com . You should be able to find everything there , but they cover most of the island I believe

"The busses on the island belong to Arubus, the major public transportation company owned by the Government of Aruba.

Aruba bus routes cover almost the entire island and stop at all hotels. If you want to see the exact routes or the full Aruba bus map, check out the website of Arubus.

There is bus service every 15 minutes from 5:45 a.m. until 6 p.m.; buses then run every 40 minutes until 11:30 p.m. The central bus station in downtown Oranjestad is located adjacent to the cruise terminal and next to Royal Plaza. Would you like to know what time the bus pays your stop a visit? The website of Arubus shows you the route and the Aruba bus schedule for each route.

The Aruba bus stops are easy to find. There is a visible sign on the side of the bus. For instance the stop at your hotel will display the hotel and town that each individual bus is in route too "

Cheers

Thanks for the details and link. So is this similar to a HoHo bus without the narration?

Is ther e just one route to take?

Cheers

Len