Lost Luggage

davy jones

All I dropped off luggage for myself and DW upon arrival at pier at 10AM this morning.  DW bag made it to cabin before 1:30.  My luggage never arrived and the ship sailed 6 hours ago.  They won't even acknowledge that it is lost.  "We're still looking for it".    All clothes and grooming supplies for 11 night sailing are in the bag.  So far, MSC won't do anything.  What are my options, besides filing a claim with cruise insurance, which doesn't help very much right now.

On our last cruise two of our three bags arrived after we had gone to dinner. Surprisingly the one bag that came in the afternoon had the baggage tag just laying on the bag, not attached. I am sure that it will showup.

Not ttrying to offend, but you don't have any restricted items packed? If so, security will hold it until you need to claim it.

Edited by Heartgrove

5 hours ago, davy jones said:

All I dropped off luggage for myself and DW upon arrival at pier at 10AM this morning.  DW bag made it to cabin before 1:30.  My luggage never arrived and the ship sailed 6 hours ago.  They won't even acknowledge that it is lost.  "We're still looking for it".    All clothes and grooming supplies for 11 night sailing are in the bag.  So far, MSC won't do anything.  What are my options, besides filing a claim with cruise insurance, which doesn't help very much right now.

Did you use the paper luggage tags you print from home?  Those things get ripped off so easily.  If so, did you also print off extras and place extra tags in your luggage??  If the paper ones get ripped off, they can look inside your luggage as a back up

Also, if your luggage got left at the dock, that isn't the cruise lines issue.  Those are dock workers that work for the port.  Makes sure you tip them well.  You don't want a disgruntled dock person 'accidently' forgetting to add it to the pallet they load on the ship

It may have been delivered to the wrong cabin.   The tag may have fallen off.   It may be in the naughty room.  Did you have identification inside the suitcase that would help them repatriate it?  A lot of possibilities.   Hopefully it will show up by morning.   Please let us know what happens.  

4 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

Did you use the paper luggage tags you print from home?  Those things get ripped off so easily.  If so, did you also print off extras and place extra tags in your luggage??  If the paper ones get ripped off, they can look inside your luggage as a back up

Also, if your luggage got left at the dock, that isn't the cruise lines issue.  Those are dock workers that work for the port.  Makes sure you tip them well.  You don't want a disgruntled dock person 'accidently' forgetting to add it to the pallet they load on the ship

I always print extra room tags and put inside our luggage and also inside our carry on bags. We place them so that the are right on top as the bag is opened.

I know it doesn’t help you right now but we use AirTags in our cases so we can check that they are actually on the ship and if not delivered track them down onboard.

Escalate you enquiry beyond reception, ask to speak to an officer to expedite it.

• Like 2

Update:  The bag was finally found and delivered to cabin around bedtime.  It was not in the naughty room.  There was a room that I checked with naughty and baggage missing tags.  It was not there.  I did use the paper tags that you print out with 4 staples.  Apparently, it ended up on another deck without a bag tag.  It was the first time this has happened to us in 40 cruises.  I don't know why it was not sent to the room that I checked 4 hours earlier.  We have returned to full low stress vacation mode.

I am still interested to see how many times this has happened to people and how it got resolvesd.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

52 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Update:  The bag was finally found and delivered to cabin around bedtime.  It was not in the naughty room.  There was a room that I checked with naughty and baggage missing tags.  It was not there.  I did use the paper tags that you print out with 4 staples.  Apparently, it ended up on another deck without a bag tag.  It was the first time this has happened to us in 40 cruises.  I don't know why it was not sent to the room that I checked 4 hours earlier.  We have returned to full low stress vacation mode.

I am still interested to see how many times this has happened to people and how it got resolvesd.

Great news!   What a relief.    When I put the tags on,   I use clear packing tape.   I cover the whole tag with it.  That stuff is strong.   I have to cut it off. 

• Like 1

Happened to me once. I use those plastic luggage tags from Amazon that you put the cruise line luggage tag in. I was on my way to Guest Services to report it missing when I saw a few pieces of luggage including mine sitting in the atrium. The plastic luggage tag with the cruise line luggage tag was missing, but my regular luggage tag with my name and home address was intact. I don’t know why they hadn’t used my name to look up my cabin number to deliver it. Maybe they would have, but I simply took it myself at that point.

10 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I know it doesn’t help you right now but we use AirTags in our cases so we can check that they are actually on the ship and if not delivered track them down onboard.

Same here, and we use the Amazon sourced plastic 'pockets' with the wire loop to make sure the printed labels don't go missing either.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, davy jones said:

We use plastic bag tag holders with the steel cables that hold them onto the bag handles.  I ordered them on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MV4HLF9

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We use plastic bag tag holders with the steel cables that hold them onto the bag handles.  I ordered them on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MV4HLF9

Funny for me, I'm planning to buy these tonight for my cruise next weekend.  Not those exact ones, but close  🙂

• Haha 1

Luggage accidents happen. Actually witness a baggage cage go in the water at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and met the one of people that had a salt water wash of their clothes and an open seating breakfast. 

I've also been on a cruise that returned to MCT for a medical evacuation (crew member fell down the stairs). Waiting on the pier was an ambulance and about 15 large suitcases that some lucky people didn't have to wait two days for.

This is why there is no dress up on the first night, people get luggage late into the sailing.

1 minute ago, CarolnLarry said:

I was thinking of buying the electronic luggage finders that you track on your phone.  Has anyone tried these?

I have Apple Air Tags in my checked luggage.  Would not leave home without them. 

For seven years I have used the plastic bag holders with plastic straps without a problem. The only issue is getting the tag through the strap loop. I thought that I would change to the wire cable ones for our last cruise. Of three bags one cable broke because the ferrel slipped off. Strangly enough the bag came tyo our stateroom with just the tag sitting on top and the cable missing. Changing phones soon and plan on adding on the Air Tags.

Back to the plastic strap because the cable is not reliable!

11 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

For seven years I have used the plastic bag holders with plastic straps without a problem. The only issue is getting the tag through the strap loop. I thought that I would change to the wire cable ones for our last cruise. Of three bags one cable broke because the ferrel slipped off. Strangly enough the bag came tyo our stateroom with just the tag sitting on top and the cable missing. Changing phones soon and plan on adding on the Air Tags.

Back to the plastic strap because the cable is not reliable!

I have not had that issue with mine.  I always tighten the barrels down really time.  I have even thought about using blue loctite.  Don't use the red locktite unless you do not want to remove them every.  You have to really heat it to get the red stuff to loosen up. 

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have not had that issue with mine.  I always tighten the barrels down really time.  I have even thought about using blue loctite.  Don't use the red locktite unless you do not want to remove them every.  You have to really heat it to get the red stuff to loosen up. 

I misstated as the cable was still with the bag but loose. It was the ferrule that is compressed on the cable end that goes in the barrel that fell off, not the threaded portion.

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

I misstated as the cable was still with the bag but loose. It was the ferrule that is compressed on the cable end that goes in the barrel that fell off, not the threaded portion.

Thank you for clarifying for me.  I misunderstood what piece had come off. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you for clarifying for me.  I misunderstood what piece had come off. 

The two compression joints are the weak points. Silver soldering them may help. They are only pressed onto the cable. Using a plastic wire tie might be better. Someone needs to build a better mousetrap.  🙂

3 hours ago, CarolnLarry said:

I was thinking of buying the electronic luggage finders that you track on your phone.  Has anyone tried these?

We got them after my sister and brother-in-law had the trip from hell on Air Canada in the summer of 2022.  It took them 48 hours to get from Nova Scotia to Washington, DC while it took their luggage more than 5 days.  They tracked their luggage all along the route better than the airline who kept making excuses and wouldn't listen to them saying they knew where the luggage was.  The final insult was that it sat for more than 2 days at Reagan National Airport less than 2 miles from their home but Air Canada couldn't locate it.

Since then we've used them and while we haven't experienced lost luggage we were waiting in the Christchurch airport for our last bag with only one or two other people doing the same.  The air tag showed that it was less than 100 feet away so I wasn't panicking yet and sure enough it eventually appeared on the carousel with the luggage of the other passengers still waiting.

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

Since then we've used them and while we haven't experienced lost luggage we were waiting in the Christchurch airport for our last bag with only one or two other people doing the same.  The air tag showed that it was less than 100 feet away so I wasn't panicking yet and sure enough it eventually appeared on the carousel with the luggage of the other passengers still waiting.

This is the main reason we use them, actual loss is rare, but the comfort of knowing your bags are nearby is priceless.