Second Brisbane terminal??

bazzaw

29 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

The staff onboard the ships used to come down and go to Woolies at Portside. Now it is too costly for they to do so.

I don't know what the arrangement is for the other brands. Princess have a free crew shuttle that takes them to the airport Woolies & DFO.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I don't know what the arrangement is for the other brands. Princess have a free crew shuttle that takes them to the airport Woolies & DFO.

P&O doesn't. Or at least that's what the staff told me. Its all paid shuttles.

40 minutes ago, arxcards said:

And all the bitumen in the world isn't going to fix that.

You know its not the road that's the real problem, its the transport to and from that's the real pain in the umm bottom.

I feel sorry for the people who arrive as a port stop, no real options but to take the expensive ship shuttles to the city.

I would have though part of the planning of the facility would have included transport to and from.

The railway line is not that far away surely a branch line would have been possible?

???

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

You know its not the road that's the real problem, its the transport to and from that's the real pain in the umm bottom.

I feel sorry for the people who arrive as a port stop, no real options but to take the expensive ship shuttles to the city.

I would have though part of the planning of the facility would have included transport to and from.

The railway line is not that far away surely a branch line would have been possible?

???

10 years on, and White Bay hasn't established public transport links with the city. 

It would be cheaper to build a ferry wharf and extend the existing Citycat route, but that isn't about to happen either. If Brisbane City wants the tourist traffic, they could subsidise the buses. Unlikely also, as the buses are more expensive than the money that will be spent in the city.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

10 years on, and White Bay hasn't established public transport links with the city. 

It would be cheaper to build a ferry wharf and extend the existing Citycat route, but that isn't about to happen either. If Brisbane City wants the tourist traffic, they could subsidise the buses. Unlikely also, as the buses are more expensive than the money that will be spent in the city.

Actually Geoff, that may be a good thought.

If they could have a wharf/dock of some sort up toward the entrance to the carpark, that would suit fun boats like the Lady In Red, James Cavill, and similar, that operate generally at night, as there are a few of them, it could be a win win, all round, it would give them an additional income, and what a welcome to Brisbane, cruising up the river direct to the CBD.

Wishful thinking???  Maybe🤔

• Like 1

Actually, believe or not, transportation has been subsidised/reduced at least once in the past ten years. Also, the bus zones have been merged to create larges zones. Example, I used to be in zone 7, now 2. It will never be as cheap as say Singapore due to population density, wages and fare dodgers and the security cost. This is unless the government chooses to absorb most of the cost, which isn't wrong since public transport is public and should be afforded to all, regardless of income.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

???

White Bay in Sydney is pretty much the same, no public transport  and wind your way through an industrial area.

24 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Actually Geoff, that may be a good thought.

If they could have a wharf/dock of some sort up toward the entrance to the carpark, that would suit fun boats like the Lady In Red, James Cavill, and similar, that operate generally at night, as there are a few of them, it could be a win win, all round, it would give them an additional income, and what a welcome to Brisbane, cruising up the river direct to the CBD.

Wishful thinking???  Maybe🤔

Perhaps the city cat should extend its journey down the river on cruise days.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

Actually, believe or not, transportation has been subsidised/reduced at least once in the past ten years. Also, the bus zones have been merged to create larges zones. Example, I used to be in zone 7, now 2. It will never be as cheap as say Singapore due to population density, wages and fare dodgers and the security cost. This is unless the government chooses to absorb most of the cost, which isn't wrong since public transport is public and should be afforded to all, regardless of income.

That is to allow a city to function day to day. Public transport around the world is geared to commuting, not tourism. The ports make money from the ships, and the city makes money provisioning turnaround ships. Tour destinations make a bit from a throughput of visitors, so QLD wants people to book a tour to Australia Zoo for a win/win experience. The city is not about to subsidise transport for a tourist dollar they aren't going to recoup. This isn't just a Brisbane thing but happens around the world.

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps the city cat should extend its journey down the river on cruise days.

I thought that too, but someone told me BCC considered it, but the distance would throw their schedules to far out, even if they included their reserve craft, and the city cats could not handle the number of people and still serve the normal travellers.

So alas not city cat service..

9 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

???

There is a 303 bus that picks up within a few hundred meters of the terminal gates. I've caught it, but it runs at times inconvenient for most cruisers since it's there to pick up workers in the early morning and late afternoon from the engineering places along the perimeter of the airport.

I don't know of any other cruise terminal whose planning has included new public transport options. The OPT has public transport because it's near Circular Quay, which would still be a transport hub even if the OPT didn't exist.

The idea of a ferry to the BICT is attractive, but there is the question of where the receiving jetty would go. At the moment cruise ships dock hard against Port North, which is a fuel offloading facility. There are certain drawbacks to having passengers loading and unloading from small vessels while fuel is being transferred.

The disused train line from Doomben only goes as far as Bulwer Island, which is still about 5km short of the BICT. The cost of running new train tracks to the BICT over what is basically reclaimed swamp would be prohibitive.

• Like 1

I have always believed that it would not be economic to run the CityCat to the BICT. It is a long way down the river past the last stop which is near Portside.

A train would not be a viable option either. Running additional rail line and building a railway station would cost far too much. And where would the line run and where would railway station be?

The best option is a shuttle bus service. When the Coral Princess called into Brisbane on 6th June, the shuttle bus cost $40 return pp. When ships used the Grain Terminal, a private bus company ran shuttle buses for the same price.

2 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I thought that too, but someone told me BCC considered it, but the distance would throw their schedules to far out, even if they included their reserve craft, and the city cats could not handle the number of people and still serve the normal travellers.

So alas not city cat service..

It wouldn't necessarily throw out their schedules or the usual commuters, if they had a river cat service that just did cruise passengers on cruise days. Even if it just went to Hamilton would be good enough.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

if they had a river cat service that just did cruise passengers on cruise days

There are plenty of private operators on the river who could step in, but I think the main problem would be having a place near the BICT to offload passengers.

It wouldn't be possible for home porting cruise ships, but I've wondered if it would possible to have water shuttles come and pick up directly from the ship, like in Airlie Beach.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It wouldn't necessarily throw out their schedules or the usual commuters, if they had a river cat service that just did cruise passengers on cruise days. Even if it just went to Hamilton would be good enough.

Don't know if two or three City Cats over that distance could handle 2500-4000 pax.

Edited by Ozwoody

21 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Don't know if two or three City Cats over that distance could handle 2500-4000 pax.

Not everyone would use a CityCat. Another problem is that for a ship on a port call, there would be a requirement for transport from BICT in the morning (with no back-filling) and the opposite later in the day. This would reduce the financial viability of having a CityCat service.

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Not everyone would use a CityCat. Another problem is that for a ship on a port call, there would be a requirement for transport from BICT in the morning (with no back-filling) and the opposite later in the day. This would reduce the financial viability of having a CityCat service.

Hi Evon 

Yes that was worded badly, I was referring to the size of ships rather than the number of people using the ferry service.

Also on your last point, that was why I thought the party boats which normally don't get used during the day would be a possibility, maybe....😀

5 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Evon 

Yes that was worded badly, I was referring to the size of ships rather than the number of people using the ferry service.

Also on your last point, that was why I thought the party boats which normally don't get used during the day would be a possibility, maybe....😀

The party boats don't sit idle all day. Before we left BICT on a recent cruise, we could see a party board nearby. That would probably have been around 3pm. A drawback of these boats is that they travel slower than the CityCats making the journey take even longer. It is a long way from the BICT even to Hamilton and there isn't much there to interest a visitor. To get to the CBC from the BICT would take a long time, much longer than by road. I know it is a lovely trip but I wouldn't want to spend half my day just to get to the CBD or Southbank then return.

That is to allow a city to function day to day. Public transport around the world is geared to commuting, not tourism. The ports make money from the ships, and the city makes money provisioning turnaround ships. Tour destinations make a bit from a throughput of visitors, so QLD wants people to book a tour to Australia Zoo for a win/win experience. The city is not about to subsidise transport for a tourist dollar they aren't going to recoup. This isn't just a Brisbane thing but happens around the world.

I am not suggesting governments should use public transportation funds to provide subsides for tourist. My main gripe is still solely on the roads in and out of the area. If accessibility is an issue we cannot change, at the very least fix up the roads. I live near industry areas, landscaping businesses and a tip collection, I certainly do not see the same problems. Like during the Pandemic, the government does not see value in the cruising industry as most of the voters do not work on ships.

Purely my point of view. Whether they fix up the roads, build public transport or not, I will still go cruising as it is the best value I can find for my money.

• Like 1

Just now, Zetta83 said:

Will not work with all the luggage.

It would for passengers who are in Brisbane for the day. I don't think anyone was really thinking of ferries solely for turnaround days.

• Like 1