Are we back to three evening dress codes again?

cruisestitch

47 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I prefer to look at my food in the restaurant instead of other people's toes. Or feet in general.

The only time my DH wears flip flops is to the pool and the beach. Other than that, he wears fisherman sandals - athletic for every day use and nice leather ones for dressier occasions.

I make him wear comfy slip-ons by Skechers to MDR on chic nights:

Relaxed Fit: Expected - Avillo, BLACK, largeimage number 0

A decade ago I dressed in a tux on formal occasions, now only shoes I bring are sketchers and no longer bring a jacket or tie. As a brilliant songwriter once said Times they are a changing.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I think you're reading too much into what's being written and in all honesty absolutely nothing has changed on Celebrity with regards to dress code for the evening. In practice a polo-type shirt for men is 100% acceptable for all dinners including Evening Chic. If a man wants to wear a long sleeve button shirt on Chic Night to be a little dressier that's fine, but in practice it's not necessary or required, and no one is going to be denied entry into the dining room for wearing a short sleeve Polo shirt on Chic Night. They also will not be out of place either. So honestly that's how I would advise others. 

I was on the flagship Ascent in January and if nothing's changed on the flagship less than 2 months ago in terms of the printed dress code and more importantly the dress code the full ship  of passengers adhered to then that's what the dress code is. 

Finally, a reasonable adult is in the room.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I’m already mad at my spouse for wearing sneakers to a String Queens concert when all the ladies were wearing their Sunday best.  He says they are “dressy”.  This same guy won’t take a jacket and tie on our trip to London so I can have lunch at the Ritz.  Because hotel restaurants are no good.

I’m not crazy about jeans regardless of color.  Not for dinner.  It’s pretty easy to pack dress pants.  If you wear the same jeans every night, you can wear the same dress pants.  And buy some Hush Puppies dress shoes.

If you are going to argue for jeans at dinner then I say you get rid of the dress code and everyone wears beach wear.  Because either you have a dress code or you don’t.

I think I would like your other half.

I reckon he is right about the ritz too. Just over priced pretentious nonsense. Quite a pompous place. A very pompous place actually. Yes I have been in. Wife wanted afternoon tea. Many many years ago. I didnt understand the fuss

• Like 1

Celebrity introduced evening chic in 2016. That's when I started wearing polo/golf style shirts with dockers every evening and my wife wearing slacks, girly tops along with her bling every evening. Except the first evening I wear shorts and a golf/polo style shirt. 

Edited by doghog

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’m already mad at my spouse for wearing sneakers to a String Queens concert when all the ladies were wearing their Sunday best.  He says they are “dressy”.  This same guy won’t take a jacket and tie on our trip to London so I can have lunch at the Ritz.  Because hotel restaurants are no good.

I’m not crazy about jeans regardless of color.  Not for dinner.  It’s pretty easy to pack dress pants.  If you wear the same jeans every night, you can wear the same dress pants.  And buy some Hush Puppies dress shoes.

If you are going to argue for jeans at dinner then I say you get rid of the dress code and everyone wears beach wear.  Because either you have a dress code or you don’t.

If you are going to argue for not jeans in the MDR in the evening  then I recommend you contact Celebrity and advise them they need to change their published suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening then. 

Edited by doghog

On 11/3/2023 at 2:45 PM, sunshinegirl89 said:

Does the world come to an end if you wear "cruise casual" on an "evening chic" night?  Sailing the Apex next month with DH, DS18 and DD20.  We are very casual people and have zero desire to wear anything remotely fancy or formal.  Outside of wearing shorts to dinner, which I know is big no-no, we will be casually dressed. Guys will be in nice (lululemon) khaki style pants with a golf shirt, DD will probably wear a nice sundress, and I'll be in capris.  Hope no one gets their knickers in a twist.  

Fortunately, knickers aren't allow, so no worries about anyone getting them in a twist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I was actually anticipating a 3rd dress code of "smart" shorts, vs dumb shorts, on some cruises. 

Those are the cargo shorts that his below the knee, which make all men look like Oompaloompas.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

If we want to get technical I almost never wore a button down shirt on the Eclipse.  I usually wore polo shirts.  Notl my dress shirts are button down.  Do they mean long sleeved dress shirt?

I would like to ask @DarrenM if he is saying that shorts and flip flops are ok anywhere?  That is my definition of “wear what you like”.  I’m not a fan of flip flops or ripped jeans.  Biggest fashion mistake of the 80s.

Good point. Dress shirts and button downs are not the same at all. A dress shirt accommodates a bow tie--or another style--but has no buttons to hold that tie down*. Button downs are for the workplace; the tie sits under the buttoned-down collar. Ties not tied in a bow on a dress shirt can be anchored with a pin, a stud, or a chain. (See King Charles)

Dress shirts are always long sleeved, Button downs, not being dressy, can also be short sleeved. They also often have a chest pocket--because they are working shirts--while dress shirts do not.

*BTW: what's a tie FOR, anyway??? Nuffin. It was created to fasten the collar, a separate article of clothing, to the shirt! Then after collars began to be sewn to shirts 100 years ago, the ties, which should have become discarded as superfluous, simply became decoration. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'd guess I've eaten in the MDR or Blu for a total of 100 nights.  In my direct experience, whether or not you like it, there are dress code violations every dinner.  If you don't see them, you're not looking hard enough.  When they do enforce the dress code it's usually when another passenger complains and the enforcement is simply the M'D saying: "Next time please follow the dress code rules".  For context, 99% of the time I wear a long-sleeved button-down and either Jeans or Khakis.  I wore shorts to dinner exactly one time; while I knowingly broke the rules and knew it was wrong, my laundry unexpectedly was not ready and I decided to wear shorts vs dirty pants (lol).  No one said a peep including the roaming M'D whom we had a two-minute conversation with who clearly saw I was in shorts

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'd guess I've eaten in the MDR or Blu for a total of 100 nights.  In my direct experience, whether or not you like it, there are dress code violations every dinner.  If you don't see them, you're not looking hard enough.  When they do enforce the dress code it's usually when another passenger complains and the enforcement is simply the M'D saying: "Next time please follow the dress code rules".  For context, 99% of the time I wear a long-sleeved button-down and either Jeans or Khakis.  I wore shorts to dinner exactly one time; while I knowingly broke the rules and knew it was wrong, my laundry unexpectedly was not ready and I decided to wear shorts vs dirty pants (lol).  No one said a peep including the roaming M'D whom we had a two-minute conversation with who clearly saw I was in shorts

Have seen plenty of violations in Luminae over the years too. But I also remember about 10 years ago, there was a rack of men's jackets in various sizes at the entrance to the MDR, and the maitre 'd handing them out to diners as needed... 

9 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I think I would like your other half.

I reckon he is right about the ritz too. Just over priced pretentious nonsense. Quite a pompous place. A very pompous place actually. Yes I have been in. Wife wanted afternoon tea. Many many years ago. I didnt understand the fuss

I’m not seeing the problem……

7 hours ago, doghog said:

If you are going to argue for not jeans in the MDR in the evening  then I recommend you contact Celebrity and advise them they need to change their published suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening then. 

Well the President stopped by house yesterday just to ask my opinion about the dress code.  So I’m sure they will make changes soon.  I told them it should be mandatory to wear Christmas sweaters in the dining rooms.  All year.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, frteach said:

Thanks, Nutsaboutgolf. Not something that everybody could wear for sure. I was picturing a rash on a different body part, so I'm glad to be enlightened!

The chief benefit is sun protection in the areas they cover so you save a fifth of a bottle of sunscreen and the couple of minutes you'd spend applying it.  Many will keep them on in the pool for that reason

58 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well the President stopped by house yesterday just to ask my opinion about the dress code.  So I’m sure they will make changes soon.  I told them it should be mandatory to wear Christmas sweaters in the dining rooms.  All year.

There's only one correct answer, which is: "Who cares!  When are you going to upgrade the inferior spiny lobster for the superior Maine lobster that both Royal Caribbean and Carnival are currently serving?"  

On 10/28/2023 at 4:57 PM, bigbenboys said:

I dress smart casual every evening. Most evenings we dine in Luminae.

EVENING CHIC

Each itinerary features one to two “formal” nights we call Evening Chic. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way, with a cocktail dress, skirt, slacks, or designer jean, an elegant dress top or blazer—some guests even pack a tuxedo or gown for onboard photos. The Daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. If you do not wish to participate in Evening Chic, Smart Casual attire is acceptable for dining and theater.

There is no insistence on participating in this "dress to impress" nonsense.

Mutton dressed a lamb is still mutton anyway. I know. I AM that mutton.

And I have never been turned away from any restaurant because I wasnt dressed like I was attending an interview.

Just dont dress like you have just left the beach or a building site.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 4:57 PM, bigbenboys said:

I dress smart casual every evening. Most evenings we dine in Luminae.

EVENING CHIC

Each itinerary features one to two “formal” nights we call Evening Chic. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way, with a cocktail dress, skirt, slacks, or designer jean, an elegant dress top or blazer—some guests even pack a tuxedo or gown for onboard photos. The Daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. If you do not wish to participate in Evening Chic, Smart Casual attire is acceptable for dining and theater.

Always makes me laugh this. Why would any fella feel the need to dress up like the Penguin from Batman, just to have a very weird fake photo taken, when they should be having a good time, and getting happily drunk?

On 10/28/2023 at 7:46 PM, phoenix_dream said:

So you feel it's completely ok to wear whatever the heck you want to, even though you booked a cruise with a line that has specific rules about what you should be wearing?  That the rules may belong to other people, but not to you, or they can just be ignored because who cares about rules?   Wow.  That's a very interesting attitude.  Do you feel that way about their other rules?  Ok to smoke if you decide to do it?  Ok to roller skate down the hallways if you decide to do it?  Ok to bring bottles of alcohol onboard if you decide to do it?  Sorry (not sorry) I just don't see the difference.  Rules are rules.  You can't just decide which to follow and which not.  That's all I can say without getting booted off of Cruise Critic.

Someone smoking might impact your health and enjoyment. I agree with you here.

If someone is wearing clothes that get your disapproval, I suggest you get out more.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:08 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Agreed, that's not a big ask.  

I never wear shorts. So this doesnt bother me.

But in my simplistic view, life is too short to care if someone else in the dining room is.

I am usually having too much fun to even look at how other folk are dressed.

I cant contemplate my night being ruined because the fella at the next table isnt wearing a  cravat.

Where do you draw the line?

I mean, well, clothes dont necessarily make everyone easy on the eye, shall we say.