Refit Pics

GaryEssex

From the Cunard FB page:

"She's back! We are delighted that Queen Mary 2 is on her way back from dry dock. An expert team of three thousand worked around the clock to complete extensive technical and interior refurbishment across many of the ship's venues.

Welcome back Queen Mary 2!"

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 2:54 AM, eroller said:

Nope you are not alone.  The carpets are actually quite stylish with their ombré design.  I think it’s quite obvious they are not faded or worn.  It’s simply a style and a very fashionable one at that used at many high end hotels.  

To me there are far more urgent needs for QM2 than the carpets.  The ship frankly looked quite worse for wear my last sailing on her.  It was sad as I’ve sailed her many times and never has she been in such poor condition.  This amazing lady deserves better.  I’m sure this refit will help but my feeling is she needs something much more substantial than what can be accomplished in this short time frame.  Even so I have high hopes and no question we should see an improved and refreshed QM2.  

The fact that a new design is fashionable and used at many high end hotels doesn't impress me at all. Rubbish is rubbish. 

One of the top hotels in Halifax, Nova Scotia, replaced all corridor carpets a few years ago. They look like it was a solid black or dark blue and someone took a can of white paint and threw it randomly over the carpet. It is the ugliest  I have seen anywhere. In fairness to Cunard, having seen what this high-end hotel has done I am now far less annoyed at the corridor carpeting on the QM2.  

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 12:40 PM, ClipperinSFO said:

Am I the only one who is not offended by the corridor carpets?

I thought the asymmetrical pattern of the corridor carpets was pretty cool and liked the blue/gray colors. However, I can see where others might think it did not fit the overall decor of the grand QM2. Isn't "style" latin for, you can't please everyone???

ABBAE530-265D-4F28-AF4F-D0758BF78AEC.thumb.jpeg.333b7dd2decb38031eb0067fe26d4564.jpeg

I also wish Cunard would be more specific about what the refits are doing but they seem to have stopped doing that for any of the ships for a while now. They just go into dry dock, emerge and reenter service. 

I'm a bit off of track on the others, but I've been assuming this is the refit QM2 was supposed to have in 2020 but the pandemic messed up. Are Victoria and Elizabeth also due for dry dock?

52 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Are Victoria and Elizabeth also due for dry dock?

There's a gap in QV's 2024 schedule between 30 October and 15 November 2024. Seems likely that's the timeframe for QV's next drydock.

QE underwent a drydock in Singapore earlier this year during a gap in her schedule between 17 March and 3 April 2023.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I thought the asymmetrical pattern of the corridor carpets was pretty cool and liked the blue/gray colors. However, I can see where others might think it did not fit the overall decor of the grand QM2. Isn't "style" latin for, you can't please everyone???

ABBAE530-265D-4F28-AF4F-D0758BF78AEC.thumb.jpeg.333b7dd2decb38031eb0067fe26d4564.jpeg

While we are on the subject of QM2 corridors, the one thing that does kind of bug me (although until now I have “suffered” in silence) is the limited width of the corridors.  Using them to travel fore and aft, esp in the morning with the housekeeping carts positioned in them can be a claustrophobic game of dodge ‘em. Also I have to pause or turn sideways when encountering people traveling in the opposite direction.  This, far more than the carpet pattern is an annoyance. 

This was called into stark relief on a recent cruise I took on a Carnival ship, the Elation, built in 1998.  Her cabin corridors seemed at least 25-30% wider than on QM2, and thus it was far less stressful to use them as a quick means of fore/aft travel.

I realize that the corridor widths are fixed, but on the list of corridor grievance, the width issue eclipses the carpets, and even that annoying missing lampshade on Deck 9 Forward!    

Edited by ClipperinSFO

3 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

as contrast, here's the corridor from 2010 or 11. Sorry about the white balance being off.
corridorfixed.jpg.a063d31aa028459ad55c2ac258e59a74.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, techteach said:

Interesting that I can’t find this on YouTube.

It doesn't appear to be on Cunard's YouTube channel. It appears to only be embedded in the tweet. (Are they still called tweets if it's no longer twitter?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember that this was not a refit on the scale of Hamburg in 2016 - it was shorter in time for one thing. Cunard usually alternates its dry-docks in major/minor sequence. They did have to break that a bit because of the shutdowns so this is probably the delayed minor refit she was originally supposed to get in 2020. They did do some minor work when she was reactivated but this feels like the deferred dry dock. 

If we see she is out of service for a longer spell in, say, 2026 then that will be the big midlife reconditioning for something like 6-8 weeks. 

Edited by JT1101

6 minutes ago, Jim_P said:

Woohoo, the fade is gone. All new carpet designs everywhere. I think some may be a little controversial (especially the Britannia restaurant, which gets a major new look) but I think they're all very good.

This carpet? It's the same one that was there when I sailed last year.

Edited by sucramdi

9 minutes ago, sucramdi said:

This carpet? It's the same one that was there when I sailed last year.

Oops, yes you're right, just looked at my photos from march, they already had that wave design, must have been since the remaster. Still, looks as though it's all been replaced, it's much newer and more vivid than in my photos.

20 minutes ago, Jim_P said:

Woohoo, the fade is gone. All new carpet designs everywhere. I think some may be a little controversial (especially the Britannia restaurant, which gets a major new look) but I think they're all very good.

Most of the carpets except the corridors appear to be unchanged.  The Britannia carpet is the same as when I sailed in March 2022 (pic from that voyage).  Perhaps some have been shampooed. 

The corridor carpets were actually in decent condition and didn’t bother me a bit.  

Overall I would say the interior upgrades are very minor.  Cabins and bathrooms look the same.  Hopefully they addressed the spa, pools, public restrooms, and all the rust.  They were all in dire need of repair and overhaul.  

IMG_6699.jpeg

Edited by eroller