Eclipse: Our Celebrity Suite and Aqua Sky Suite Experience

bnurick

We are currently on the Eclipse in a Celebrity Suite and our friends are in an Aqua Sky Suite. I have been pretty vocal about The Retreat changes and want to share our experience with the CC community since it’s about mid-cruise. Here are our observations thus far:

Butler Service: We have a dedicated butler and everything is like it was in the past down to Cafe al Bacio orders being delivered if you want. While we have seen less of our butler than previous sailings, I made all requests day one written down and everything was handled. Our friends report they see their butler daily as he is stationed near their block of rooms. All their requests have been handled to their satisfaction.

Luminae: If you do not like the menu, you can order from the MDR menu. If you want a filet mignon, you are charged the MDR Premium Selections price. The menu changed some beginning this sailing. The new Luminae double cheeseburger is amazing. On day two we ordered a single patty version as it is filling. On days we do not care for the dinner menu, I plan on requesting the day before the burger and see if they will accommodate a special request.

Michael’s Lounge: The service is excellent. If you request bottled water you receive Crystal Geyser plastic bottles. If you specifically request Evian, you receive the usual glass bottle. Food is not set out like the Edge Class Ships, you have to request it as it is stored in the Murano kitchen. The only time the lounge has been busy was embarkation day and the Officer’s event.

Large Evian Bottle Water In Room: I was told day one we get two bottles for free and a charge after that. After I expressed my displeasure given the price per day, we have received two or three bottles a day without a charge. My thoughts are it is a goodwill gesture by the ship as it’s really the only special request we’ve asked for.

Food Portions: Some seem smaller, but they will bring you more than one as you would like. Last night our server even suggested we get a ribeye sliced for the table to share.

Bourbon: Good selection. We cleaned out the Woodford Double Oaked last night. Hopefully, they will find another bottle.

Red Wine: Although I brought a few bottles onboard and also have purchased two more onboard, we have sampled every red wine by the glass option. The Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon has been my favorite.

S Class Ships: With fewer suites than E Class Ships my thoughts are they can do a little more. We have a Sky Suite booked on The Beyond in January and can compare.

Chocolate's: Two each night thus far.

More to come on The Retreat experience. Cheers!

IMG_9088.jpeg

Edited by bnurick
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the post.     I'm really surprised of the Up-charge for a Filet in Luminae.   That is especially concerning when on E-Class and can't order from MDR.   I wonder how they handle that.

Have you had an opportunity to look at the Children's Menu.    I understand they removed the Petite Filet and Replaced with NY Steak.    They don't have the Children's Menu in the app -  at least what I can find.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the post.     I'm really surprised of the Up-charge for a Filet in Luminae.   That is especially concerning when on E-Class and can't order from MDR.   I wonder how they handle that.

Have you had an opportunity to look at the Children's Menu.    I understand they removed the Petite Filet and Replaced with NY Steak.    They don't have the Children's Menu in the app -  at least what I can find.

Hey Jim, I agree the filet charge feels inappropriate given the price per day for The Retreat and we have the same concern for our upcoming Beyond sailing. I’ll see if I can get a picture of the children’s menu. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Your experience sounds pretty good so far - that's encouraging!

Yes! We are having a great experience so far! Cheers.

• Like 5

I am wondering whether could the kitchen in luminae cook the Ribeye steak from the room service menu as a alternative to the Filet Mignon from the MDR menu?

Screenshot_2023-10-31-01-33-02-60_3ab50d9cd1e58d5437cb9d2a2a4403c9.thumb.jpg.a2f1bbc57ab023b5656098cf517de749.jpg

This is a screen shot of the Retreat Room Service menu from my upcoming cruise on the Millie in a few weeks time. I'm thinking that the chefs at luminae should have experience cooking for room service so I'm sure that they are able to do this. The only question is whether would the Maitre'D allow it.

• Like 2

Room Service: Our butler brought it, including Cafe al Bacio requests. Our friends in the Aqua Sky Suite did not get their Cafe al Bacio request. They do think if they called with the request as opposed to using the door hanger it would be brought to their cabin. This was our first room service order this trip. Cheers!

IMG_0772.jpeg

• Like 5

Very nice to hear of your experience. We love the "S" class ships, after 2 sailings on Apex if we ever book again on X it will be on an "S" class for sure.  Prefer the layout, the service, Luminae is SO much better than on E class, and your reports of the butler service are encouraging. 

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Very nice to hear of your experience. We love the "S" class ships, after 2 sailings on Apex if we ever book again on X it will be on an "S" class for sure.  Prefer the layout, the service, Luminae is SO much better than on E class, and your reports of the butler service are encouraging. 

We only sailed on the Edge once. Apex next June. After the limited menu in Luminae on the E class ships, I'm dreading having dinner in Luminae. 

21 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We only sailed on the Edge once. Apex next June. After the limited menu in Luminae on the E class ships, I'm dreading having dinner in Luminae. 

Yup......  we found service to be fine, no one better than Sonny and Marcus on any of the ships, but the food was truly only fair and the lack of other options was pretty lousy.  I mean how many times can you eat the child's portion of Spaghetti & meat sauce for dinner (apparently 3...for me on our TA this past April)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, bnurick said:

Room Service: Our butler brought it, including Cafe al Bacio requests. Our friends in the Aqua Sky Suite did not get their Cafe al Bacio request. They do think if they called with the request as opposed to using the door hanger it would be brought to their cabin. This was our first room service order this trip. Cheers!

IMG_0772.jpeg

I guess this is the current version of the table being set for breakfast.

1 hour ago, bnurick said:

I stick to the pizza 🍕! 😛 

I like the curries and salad bar in OV, as well as the pizza and the garlic knots!!  (And we cruise in  PS on M and S-class so we have choices, but still enjoy OV's offerings).

• Like 1

@bnurick You mention that after you complained you are now getting bottled Evian for no charge in your CS.  How about your friends in the Aqua Sky Suite - are they getting replacement water for free as well or are they having to get their water elsewhere and bring it to their room? 

As with @Jim_Iain I am surprised to hear about the off menu order of a filet in Luminae results in an additional charge.  I do hope you mention that in any and all feedback you provide regarding your cruite.  One of my favorite orders when nothing on the menu appealed to me use to be the filet from the Children's Menu but as Jim said, that is no longer.  I guess I could order the NY Strip that replaced it but the filet is usually much more tender and flavorful. 

p.s. I also like the Decoy! 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@bnurick You mention that after you complained you are now getting bottled Evian for no charge in your CS.  How about your friends in the Aqua Sky Suite - are they getting replacement water for free as well or are they having to get their water elsewhere and bring it to their room? 

As with @Jim_Iain I am surprised to hear about the off menu order of a filet in Luminae results in an additional charge.  I do hope you mention that in any and all feedback you provide regarding your cruite.  One of my favorite orders when nothing on the menu appealed to me use to be the filet from the Children's Menu but as Jim said, that is no longer.  I guess I could order the NY Strip that replaced it but the filet is usually much more tender and flavorful. 

p.s. I also like the Decoy! 

DaKahuna, as the wife of a retired submariner, I can make whole cloth out of nothing or sweet talk my way up command.  Works just as well on cruise lines. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Spoke to the Luminae Hostess last night that for days 4 and 5 we would be eating elsewhere as the menu was unappealing. She spoke to the Chef and they agreed to make us the new burger any evening we give a days notice. This morning at breakfast, our server reiterated this to us, so it must have been discussed. Sometimes a good burger and red wine hits the spot. Cheers!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

How about your friends in the Aqua Sky Suite

Good afternoon, they report they get two plastic bottles of the Crystal Geyser a day. Not the large glass Evian bottles. However, they also report the have been getting the small glass Evian bottles at most ship bars and Michael’s Club. Cheers!

IMG_0773.jpeg

Edited by bnurick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/31/2023 at 1:46 PM, bigbenboys said:

I'm dreading having dinner in Luminae. 

I basically told them that last evening. They were very willing to work with me. Just need a days advanced notice on reasonable special requests. Encourage you to be frank and fair with them.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bnurick said:

Spoke to the Luminae Hostess last night that for days 4 and 5 we would be eating elsewhere as the menu was unappealing. She spoke to the Chef and they agreed to make us the new burger any evening we give a days notice. This morning at breakfast, our server reiterated this to us, so it must have been discussed. Sometimes a good burger and red wine hits the spot. Cheers!

The chef needs a day’s notice to make a burger? I honestly can’t tell if this post is tongue in cheek or serious. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bnurick said:

Good afternoon, they report they get two plastic bottles of the Crystal Geyser a day. Not the large glass Evian bottles. However, they also report the have been getting the small glass Evian bottles at most ship bars and Michael’s Club. Cheers!

IMG_0773.jpeg

Thank you.  That’s about 1/3 of the water we would go through in any given day.  I will talk with our “Retrat host/stateroom attendant” to see what is possible.  The rest well simply bring from the bars/lounge. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, someguyfl said:

Are there any rules that only kids can order from that menu? 😉

Not based on our experience.  I’ve had the spaghetti, fish, and steak from the kids menu.  The only time I’ve been told was on embarkation day when I was told the kids menu was not available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, someguyfl said:

Are there any rules that only kids can order from that menu? 😉

Not at all, we have 4 and 8 year old sons and they both like quite a few of those items so much that we tried them. The Bolognese is my go to when I want pasta and the Luminae and mdr options aren’t great. Tbh, I think the kids bolognese is the best executed pasta dish outside of Tuscan. The only exception was one time Luminae on Reflection had duck Bolognese cavtappi. It was perfection, tried it on beyond and it was inedible.🤷🏽‍♂️  

• Like 1