Are there customs/immigration checks required recently for boarding or during the Pride of America cruise?

magic_cruise

59 minutes ago, magic_cruise said:

As a non-US citizen, are there customs and immigration checks required for boarding or during the Pride of America cruise? Is a REAL ID driver's license an acceptable document to meet the boarding requirements for this cruise?

Since you do not leave the state of Hawaii at any point during the cruise, there is no need for customs or immigration.  There is the usual cruise check in and security at the port, so you need whatever documents NCL says you need.

However, if you don’t live in the US, you would do immigration checks on the way to Hawaii (or wherever your initial point of entry to the US is).  You would need whatever documents are appropriate for your situation (depends on your nationality) to enter the US at that time.

In other words, without more details, it’s tough to give you more than the above generic answer.

Thank you for your response. Could you please clarify the cruise check-in requirements (does a CA Driver's License work)? I reside in California with a valid CA Driver's License, along with a valid passport in my country. However, I do not currently hold a valid visa for re-entry to the US. So that's why I ask if any customs/immigration checks here.

5 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Since you do not leave the state of Hawaii at any point during the cruise, there is no need for customs or immigration.  There is the usual cruise check in and security at the port, so you need whatever documents NCL says you need.

However, if you don’t live in the US, you would do immigration checks on the way to Hawaii (or wherever your initial point of entry to the US is).  You would need whatever documents are appropriate for your situation (depends on your nationality) to enter the US at that time.

In other words, without more details, it’s tough to give you more than the above generic answer.

8 minutes ago, magic_cruise said:

Thank you for your response. Could you please clarify the cruise check-in requirements (does a CA Driver's License work)? I reside in California with a valid CA Driver's License, along with a valid passport in my country. However, I do not currently hold a valid visa for re-entry to the US. So that's why I ask if any customs/immigration checks here.

I suggest you read the link I posted earlier.  It covers US citizen and non-citizen travel.  Other than the risk of loss, what's the aversion to just bringing your passport and residency documentation with you to have your bases covered?

As you fly from the USA (California) to the USA (Hawai'i); cruise from the USA (Hawai'i) to the USA (Hawai'i) and then fly from the USA (Hawai'i) to the USA (Hawai'i)  you never leave USE territory so it is jut like you travelling within the USA.

I do not see why you would need anything for customs or immigration but I am guessing as I live in New Zealand but have travelled a lot and that would be my reading of the situation.

4 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

As you fly from the USA (California) to the USA (Hawai'i); cruise from the USA (Hawai'i) to the USA (Hawai'i) and then fly from the USA (Hawai'i) to the USA (Hawai'i)  you never leave USE territory so it is jut like you travelling within the USA.

I do not see why you would need anything for customs or immigration but I am guessing as I live in New Zealand but have travelled a lot and that would be my reading of the situation.

I agree.  The driver's license should be all the OP needs.  It would be just like you were going to Washington, Arizona, or Nevada.  You're never leaving the US

55 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

My daughter just returned from this cruise and said that passports were required to get past port security in all ports.

Are you sure she was on Pride of America?  Maybe she meant people needed to show photo ID, which is true, and that she showed her passport?

This screenshot is from the NCL travel documentation page

IMG_3412.jpeg

The passports were not required to board the ship, but to pass through the security at the port level prior to boarding. On our AK cruise this summer port security was ever present but they had scanners that could get the info from your key card. My daughter has an enhanced drivers license and that would not work.

2 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

The passports were not required to board the ship, but to pass through the security at the port level prior to boarding. On our AK cruise this summer port security was ever present but they had scanners that could get the info from your key card. My daughter has an enhanced drivers license and that would not work.

What port was that in? A US citizen does not need a passport to travel to Hawaii, I don't see how they could possibly stop someone without a passport from entering a port area.

11 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

That sounds like the security check was to make sure you belonged at the port - as in being a passenger. That would explain why a DL did not work but that the key card did.

• 2 months later...

We are US citizen will my 11 month old need to show a birth certificate?

Were the kids required to show birth certificate to board?

My wife and I are already in hawaii a few days out from boarding the cruise and we dont have our sons birth certificate as we didnt think we needed it because its a US based cruise.

If you can please respond ASAP to give me piece of mind. Thank you

2 hours ago, Dkeys222 said:

We are US citizen will my 11 month old need to show a birth certificate?

Were the kids required to show birth certificate to board?

My wife and I are already in hawaii a few days out from boarding the cruise and we dont have our sons birth certificate as we didnt think we needed it because its a US based cruise.

If you can please respond ASAP to give me piece of mind. Thank you

Hawaii Cruises

There's no need for a passport when you sail on any Hawaii inter-island cruise. If the ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawaii, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. which includes a passport or a valid driver's license with a photo.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents