NCL stock went down over 5% today.

Topdog52

Ncl lost .70 today and it has been drifting lower. The more NCL takes away from their cruises, the more people will shy away!! 

MSC and some of the other cruise lines are starting to look a little better. 

NCL cancels Epic sailings from 12.1.2023 to 4.9.2024 for "Fleet Redeployment"

I wonder if there'll be other cancellations... I don't mean just Epic

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/01/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-israel-stops.html

Yeah...NCL and Royal have both said the Israeli conflict would negatively impact revenues as they try to find other itineraries.

MSC has stated similarly...

"MSC Cruises has canceled months of itineraries on two ships amid the Israel-Hamas war.

The line scrapped MSC Orchestra’s entire winter schedule “due to the proximity of some ports of call to Israel as well as the number of restrictions in the bordering countries that would have adversely affected passengers’ travel experiences,” MSC said in a news release on Monday. The ship was scheduled to sail the Red Sea from Nov. 8-April 17, 2024.

MSC also canceled MSC Sinfonia’s winter schedule from Nov. 12-April 15, 2024. The itinerary centered on Haifa, Israel.

The line is also making small adjustments to Grand Voyages on MSC Opera, MSC Splendida and MSC Virtuosa, along with a pair of 11-night cruises on MSC Armonia, though the line is still working through the changes and reaching out to guests, according to spokesperson Field Sutton."

• Like 1

Not sure what you meant by adding the Epic headline?  Epic is still cruising.  They just are keeping in the US instead of sending it to Europe. This was announced in May long before the Israel conflict.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Ncl lost .70 today and it has been drifting lower. The more NCL takes away from their cruises, the more people will shy away!! 

2 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Not sure what you meant by adding the Epic headline?  Epic is still cruising.  They just are keeping in the US instead of sending it to Europe. This was announced in May long before the Israel conflict.  

Agreed.  Please don’t panic people.  The Epic redeployment is old news.  The ship is headed to Florida from Rome on December 1.  I’ll happily be on the ship!

• Like 2

If NCL didn't go under during the 18 months of lockdowns and no cruising when the stock sank to $8 a share, they're probably not going under now. Just my opinion. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, so not exactly a financial expert.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Wasn't it just 2 days ago that someone started a thread suggesting people buy NCL stock?

And less than a week since NCL announced record revenue and bookings?   Guess that massive wave of cancelations in that week proves that people are fleeing NCL.

The hyperbole on these treads is a bit extreme.   Maybe this isn't as relaxing a hobby for some?

• Haha 6

The cruise lines didn't go under when the war in Ukraine cut out Baltic cruises with stops in St. Petersburg, they just redeployed and moved around. I'm going on a Princess cruise in a few weeks that was supposed to spend 2 nights in Israel and one in Malta, but they simply adjusted the itinerary to other Italian/Greek ports. A Celebrity ship in the Med year-round is replacing winter Israel stops with Canary Islands stops or Morocco. Current cruise prices would seem to indicate historically high demand for cruising, including on NCL, and the plus-100% occupancy rates don't signal dire times anytime soon, both for older people lines full of people trying to blow off their wealth and see as much as possible while still alive, and family/young people likes for people who want the experiences of the big NCL/RC ships, and those on Carnival looking to do sail-by shootings of ships showing the wrong gang colors, or carry off a heist of priceless Parks West art. I have 100 shares of Carnival, for the OBC, so ignore the laughably poor performance. I did buy 100 shares of RCL at $40 (when poor Carnival earnings dragged down the RCL price), and sold last summer when it reached $100, so the profits paid for 7 Celebrity and 2 Royal cruises. 

6 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

The Epic redeployment and the drop in Stock prices are not really related. If you read the other thread, the fact that the cruise line made profit is “ripping off their customers.” When in fact, their quarterly earnings report under performed the market expectations is driving a dip in their stock price. 

53 minutes ago, rj59 said:

I did buy 100 shares of RCL at $40 (when poor Carnival earnings dragged down the RCL price), and sold last summer when it reached $100, so the profits paid for 7 Celebrity and 2 Royal cruises. 

You took 9 cruises for $6000?  Please tell the rest of us how to do that!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

If NCL didn't go under during the 18 months of lockdowns and no cruising when the stock sank to $8 a share, they're probably not going under now. Just my opinion.

I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, so not exactly a financial expert.

They're also not going to go under for the debt load for building the 6 Prima class ships.

Interest rates were near 0% when they announced the new ship class so the interest payments on near 0% banks loans for these 6 ships should be negligible.

I watch Jim Kramer so I am a financial expert. 😛

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

They're also not going to go under for the debt load for building the 6 Prima class ships.

Interest rates were near 0% when they announced the new ship class so the interest payments on near 0% banks loans for these 6 ships should be negligible.

I watch Jim Kramer so I am a financial expert. 😛

There's so much wrong with this I'm not even going to start. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I’ll never understand it, but some were trying to drive down the price of NCL stocks during the shutdown and restart.  They finally admitted they shorted the stock.  I get the feeling that some of that still exists in this thread.

Israel is not a port NCL is stopping at anywhere in the near future.  The ships slated to go there have been re-deployed.  It has NOTHING to do with their recent financial performance.  They are sailing at or above capacity.  

While NONE of the cruise companies are happy they had to take on debt to stay afloat (so to speak) during the shutdown, they are all managing it well.

NCL is probably in a better spot than they expected to be right now.

• Like 3

NCL Holdings is not something I want in my portfolio.  It fluctuates over a narrow range and does not seem to have growth potential in the near future.  I will buy it before a cruise, but as soon as I get the credit for OBC, I am looking to sell it.  If it's down at that point, I'll sit on it until it recovers, but as soon as it's in positive territory, I dump it.

NCL Stock has bounced around since the restart.  I have bought at $11/share.  Sold at $15.  Nice ROI.  But, it had risen as high as $22/share, but I wasn't in it then.

The OBC WAS worthwhile as I think I received about $600 in OBC in addition to my share gains.

Looked a few days ago and it's selling at $13/share.  Bookings were strong.  And, they have rolled out 2 new ships (Prima and Viva) and will roll out another one Aqua in 2025.  They have a new Prima class ship coming out in both 2026 and 2027.

So, they are expanding their passenger counts and ships on the water.  I would reasonably expect for both revenue and margins to rise as a result.

.70c is a daily stock swing.  Not even worth mentioning.   Of more concern would be that it is down 15% in the last month, 25% in the last 3 months and 400% since pre-pandemic levels.

Anyone who bought and held NCL for 100$ obc in the past 3 months would have done better just pocketing the 100$.

Cruiselines always carry debt, it's a commodity. The business models for cruiselines will never guarantee a huge influx of profit as they can only ever be 100% full and the only way to increase revenue is to build more ships to increase the number of passengers which takes on more debt to build more ships to increase the number of passengers.  Its a transitive business that will never skyrocket in profit unless the passengers are willing to pay 2x, 3x 4x more for the same experience and Im thinking thats not the current trend of the cruiseline customer base.  

On 11/6/2023 at 4:34 PM, Topdog52 said:

THE SKY IS FALLING
THE SJY IS FALLING

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

NCL Holdings is not something I want in my portfolio.  It fluctuates over a narrow range and does not seem to have growth potential in the near future.  I will buy it before a cruise, but as soon as I get the credit for OBC, I am looking to sell it.  If it's down at that point, I'll sit on it until it recovers, but as soon as it's in positive territory, I dump it.

Seriously, dude, the 100 shares of NCL stock is likely a "blip" in any meaningful portfolio.    Since you admit it fluctuates in a narrow range, why not just buy and hold and cash in those $100 "dividends" every cruise ($250 for longer cruises 😎).

btw: I like your username!  🤣

6 hours ago, wilmingtech said:

the only way to increase revenue is to build more ships to increase the number of passengers which takes on more debt to build more ships to increase the number of passengers. 

Are you new here?  (jk 🤣).  From what I've read from the "experts" here on the forum, NCL will continue to spike profits by cutting service (making the stewards service 53 cabins a day, last night's karaoke champs as tonight's showroom performance, only moonshine in mason jars covered by the "free" drink package, etc.) and skipping any port that they can get away with.  Lucky shareholders indeed!  I say BUY!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, complawyer said:

we bought 100 shares t $7.00 just after all cruises were cancelled. as long as ncl doesnt take completely, im good!

So you bought the eternal dividends for $700 and, like a sucker, I bought in at $1600.  Sounds like I'm going to have to make it up in volume.  🤣

disclaimer: I can do that. 😎

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:
20 hours ago, rj59 said:

I did buy 100 shares of RCL at $40 (when poor Carnival earnings dragged down the RCL price), and sold last summer when it reached $100, so the profits paid for 7 Celebrity and 2 Royal cruises. 

You took 9 cruises for $6000?  Please tell the rest of us how to do that!

Hummmmmm,,,,, I'm trying to solve this equation. Maybe he took 9, 3 days cruises on Carnival.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you new here?  (jk 🤣).  From what I've read from the "experts" here on the forum, NCL will continue to spike profits by cutting service (making the stewards service 53 cabins a day, last night's karaoke champs as tonight's showroom performance, only moonshine in mason jars covered by the "free" drink package, etc.) and skipping any port that they can get away with.  Lucky shareholders indeed!  I say BUY!!

Moonshine in mason jars, now we're talking. Of course, some would say NCL is attracting the wrong type of customer.