Viking Cabins - First Time Cruiser - Basic Question

Tedferg

The balcony on a River Cruise I feel would be a waste of money.

Why?  We find that most River Cruises - that we have been on anyway - if they are sailing in daylight, we prefer to be on the top or sun deck to have a 360 view that you cannot get from the cabin.

Additionally, if you are unlucky when docked to be between two ships, then if you went on your balcony you would be sitting a foot away from your neighbour in the ship docked beside you.

We made friends with a couple that were on our Eastern European Cruise just recently that had a balcony cabin and they never sat on it once.

• Like 2

On Scenic it would not be a waste of money as apart from Aquarium cabins all have balconies. It’s horses for courses personally I enjoy my balcony if you don’t then it’s your choice. Put your feet up with a glass of excellent wine and a good book nothing better in this world, DH can do what he wants, it’s just occasionally a joy to relaxe.

• Like 1

We just figure that with the money we save by booking aquarium class, we can almost book another vacation (non-cruise, of course).  We looked at the cost difference and just couldn't justify it.  As my daughter often tells us "Of course, you do you".  What one spends their money on is their own business, right?

On our 8 day Rhine cruise I cannot think of any occasion we would have had time to sit on a balcony and watch the world go by.  One afternoon when we cruised from Kinderdijk towards the Rhine, we spent a lovely time in the lounge, where we could see out of the floor-to-ceiling windows on both sides of the ship, and did a mile walk on the top deck (12 laps)

Edited by sharkster77

I found I did sit on the balcony - sure, one can see better from the top deck but sometimes it is closed for travel between low bridges - and other times  I sat on our balcony in the morning before breakfast - this was 14 day cruise so sometimes I wanted 'away from people' time during the day- and even without the balcony I appreciate the large window (Scenic have either aquarium class or balconies, no in between  'large window but not balcony' option.)

the issue of docking side by side with other ships only happened couple of times in a fortnight.

But clearly this is just personal preference.

Edited by Kristelle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

But clearly this is just personal preference.

It is all about personal preference.  We pay for what we believe we want and need.  On ocean ships, I don't see the value in paying more money for the identical cabin one or two decks higher, but that makes a lot of people happy and is their preference.  

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

It is all about personal preference.  We pay for what we believe we want and need.  On ocean ships, I don't see the value in paying more money for the identical cabin one or two decks higher, but that makes a lot of people happy and is their preference.  

Totally agree. We like our fresh air, so always get the French Balcony on Avalon, but on the middle deck and towards the back. If I'm lucky enough, I book the cabin right beside the one that is the next level....same cabin, but gives us more to enjoy on an optional excursion or special treat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I found I did sit on the balcony - sure, one can see better from the top deck but sometimes it is closed for travel between low bridges - 

@Tedferg, this is something to think about.  When we did Viking Budapest to Amsterdam, there were many days when the top deck was closed all day because of the many bridges.  I think this was mostly on the the Main canal portion, but I may be misremembering.  The Acquavit terrace was still open, but there aren't many seats there.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:23 PM, sharkster77 said:

The shelf in Viking aquarium cannot be sat on , unless you bring a ladder!---it is a solid wall that juts out at least a good foot or more from right under windows.  It can be used as shelf space, that's it.

We use that space to dry any small bits of laundry that we have hand washed...  We missed it when we had a balcony suite on the Mekong.

Fran

It is really a personal preference...  We have booked Aquarium class on all but 2 of our 18 river cruises (China and the Mekong).  We were upgraded to a French balcony once and really didn't find having it make a difference to our enjoyment of the cruise.  As someone mentioned above, I would sooner save money for the next trip. Or - if the travel time is long - splurge on Premium Economy air.  

To each his own!!

Fran

• Like 1

For some it may be a financial decision to choose the "basement" or "aquarium" class, but for us after we did that the first time and then a year later Covid happened, we decided that if ever again - whether something like Covid or even Norovirus - we would not want to be confined to a cabin without a window that opens.  

Ohhh another one ‘basement’ - name for bottom deck cabin. Yes flying from Heathrow or any U.K. airport to Paris is fine but a warning not during the business time, fighting the guy in the next seat with a newspaper is not pleasant. It’s a bit like Singapore to Langkawi a hop, skip and back down again. Yes Eurostar is the best.

On 11/21/2023 at 3:20 AM, Canal archive said:

Actually for anyone from outside of Europe I can understand that Franski but I would suspect from the U.K. it’s not worth it especially just to Paris.

Good Point...  For us, travel  time is a big part of the whole trip - and I will do anything to make it less cumbersome.  Flying non-stop is the primary objective - if at all possible.  And flight times of less than 6 hours are such a treat!!  Not often we can get that.... 

We have good friends that we travel with - and have cruised with  them a number of times.  They will not even consider an Aquarium class cabin...  but we are fine with it.  As I said above - to each his own!!

Fran

Edited by franski
  • Like 1

Franski absolutely agree for us in the U.K. it’s a hop skip & a jump into Europe and if only they could get their act together and join up Eurostar better oh wow. Before Covid it was possible to  at certain times of the year to Eurostar from Euston, okay really early to Marseille for lunch then return to Euston station in time to travel home. What an experience! I love train travel second only to the rivers of Europe.

Matter of personal preference.   We like space and have chosen the Explorer suite several times. 

We we like to spend off time in our cabin comfortably.  The views are lovely.  Also like the perks like room service breakfast before the early morning tours and the coffee maker. 

The Suites are nice too - giving you a separate sleeping area. 

Again, Study the diagrams of the ships and look at the sqft & room layout 

• 3 months later...

As somebody who travels with my sister or a friend, I can comment on the space available when the bed configuration is for 2)singles. 
We find that the Veranda staterooms are much better suited to our needs. 
The rooms have about 3 extra feet of length within the room (above the French Balcony rooms). 
The veranda balcony affords us some additional privacy. 
And most of all - there are 2 banks of drawers for our clothes. (The French Balcony rooms only have one stack of drawers)

• Like 1

Travel via Eurostar would be a nightmare for this UK based poster. We don't all live in London! Paris is a very convenient flight for us here.

We were glad of our balcony cabin on the French river cruises and somewhat dreading the basement one for the first part of our next one. It was all that was available at time of booking :classic_sad:

I just happen to be a very proud born and bred Londoner who has for years lived outside of the metropolis, now for over 20 years in the beautiful county of the White Horses. I also know mainland Scotland quite well and I agree Eurostar is a bit off the beaten track for you. A friend who lived in your part of the world who didn’t fly for whatever reason used to - overnight train - to London then Eurostar she really enjoyed it.