Marina Refurbishment

m1k2s3

18 minutes ago, clarku said:

Of course it won’t ruin our cruise, but we went up a category because we were told that would be the minimum cabin with the new walk in shower layout. I think we’re justified in being disappointed, and no, it’s not anything to cancel our cruise over.

Yes I understand your  disappointment but go with an open mind and enjoy your cruise. Nothing in life is ‘perfect’!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, clarku said:

Of course it won’t ruin our cruise, but we went up a category because we were told that would be the minimum cabin with the new walk in shower layout. I think we’re justified in being disappointed, and no, it’s not anything to cancel our cruise over.

Move down a category & save some $  then

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarku said:

Well if they were basing the information on the previous plan and what they did to Riviera they told you completely wrong. Sounds like someone was trying to work you to sell a more expensive category. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

We're taking our first Oceania cruise in March, on the Marina, so just prior to the refurb. I can spill red wine on the carpeting with no remorse whatsoever!

You may be taking a big risk, are we sure the carpet will be replaced, especially in veranda staterooms? Does carpet fall under the fabric and upholstery refresh?? Hmmmm. The plot thickens. 

When I’m on Marina post the partial refurbishment and the carpet was not replaced and I see a big wine stain on it at least I know who I’m questioning!!! 😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 12:34 PM, MarkWiltonM said:

It's very disappointing they won't be refitting the bathrooms, and I am surprised they are comfortable with Marina being a second-class vessel to its sister ship, Riviera, for what will probably amount to years. We are scheduled to be on Marina in November 2024 but we booked an alternative cruise on another line just in case Marina wasn't going to be refurbished (at all). We will have to decide what we want to do. The only thing in favor of Marina at the moment is that our itinerary is taking us to Guadeloupe, one of the few islands we haven't visited in the Caribbean. But we've been to Martinique and I hear they are similar. Anyone care to weigh in on Guadeloupe?

10 minutes ago, true45 said:

Wow, just read the thread.

We also booked to go to Guadeloupe (we wanted to see the filming site for Death in Paradise) in November and because Marina was planning to be refurbished including new bathrooms.  Our travel agent sent us pictures of what it would look like.  

Very disappointed — this would be our 3rd Oceania but most of our sailings have been on Celebrity.  We are on Beyond next month and we are considering booking the new Ascent instead of Marina  Old tired ships don’t do it for us.  Calling our agent at Oceania tomorrow.

Edited by true45
  • Like 1

But we've been to Martinique and I hear they are similar. Anyone care to weigh in on Guadeloupe?

We’re also on Nov. 2024 cruise.  Guadeloupe is similar to Martinique. Taxi availability was very limited when there last year. 

Very disappointed. Riviera cabin refurbishment is beautiful.  Marina needs more than fabric refreshment. Furniture was chipped and scratched.  Appears O cannot afford their initial plan. All the recently changed itineraries has probably negatively affected projected earnings.

2 hours ago, true45 said:

Wow, just read the thread.

We also booked to go to Guadeloupe (we wanted to see the filming site for Death in Paradise) in November and because Marina was planning to be refurbished including new bathrooms.  Our travel agent sent us pictures of what it would look like.  

Very disappointed — this would be our 3rd Oceania but most of our sailings have been on Celebrity.  We are on Beyond next month and we are considering booking the new Ascent instead of Marina  Old tired ships don’t do it for us.  Calling our agent at Oceania tomorrow.

The change in Marina refurbishment,  and the concern for booked passengers Concierge and below cabins, vs what was projected to take place and done on Riviera is legitimate.  The change in restaurants is also legitimate for many.  A 3,260 pax ship makes a huge difference vs a 1,200 pax ship for a lot of people. The timing of the announcement change could also be pondered. The article stating it was changed due to amount of time available, vs funds available could also be debated.
We do not disagree with your, and others position of  dissatisfactions/disappointment with all or some of the above.
Many of the above positions are not deal breakers for others, which is legit for them. There are options….other lines, other Oceania ships….
Legitimate things to ponder

2 minutes ago, shank63 said:

We were on Riviera in October in a non concierge veranda and were thrilled with the refurbished bathroom.  We will be highly disappointed if the Marina refurbishment stops short of that step.

Spending $$ to add Aquamar Kitchen which is IMO unnecessary.  Putting it into cabin refurbishment would have been much more satisfying than another lunch venue. 
Maybe Mr. Ortega needs to be swamped with emails. I sent mine. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Spending $$ to add Aquamar Kitchen which is IMO unnecessary.  Putting it into cabin refurbishment would have been much more satisfying than another lunch venue. 

We enjoyed Aquamar on Vista and it was always packed for breakfast and lunch.  Another plus was you can order food "to go" and eat at your lounger by the pool or they deliver to your table in Terrace.  A much better use of space then La Reserve sitting empty all day and most evenings.  Since no one knows for sure exactly what cabin refurbishments will actually occur, difficult to judge $$ use.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayne E said:

Maybe it was not his decision to make

I agree have La Reserved used maybe  3-4  nights out of  a 12 day cruise  is  not good use of the space

We found Aquamar  quite busy  for breakfast & lunch everyday  

We finally got  a table there on a port day while most were  ashore otherwise we  would not have been able to try it

1 hour ago, basor said:

Since no one knows for sure exactly what cabin refurbishments will actually occur, difficult to judge $$ use.  

Clearly stated in the announcement that the bathrooms under suite level will not be refurbished. Soft refurbishment will. Not clear if that included carpets, but I may have missed that. 

1 hour ago, Jayne E said:

Have you been on Vista and tried the Aquamor? I have, and feel it will be an excellent addition to Marina.. I will be on Marina for 25 nights next summer and am also disappointed that a complete cabin/bathroom renovation like was done to Riviera will not be happening. But not sure it was an either/or decision...that is I doubt that they are not fully redoing the cabins because they are installing the Aquamor restaurant.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, edgee said:

Have you been on Vista and tried the Aquamor? I have, and feel it will be an excellent addition to Marina.. I will be on Marina for 25 nights next summer and am also disappointed that a complete cabin/bathroom renovation like was done to Riviera will not be happening. But not sure it was an either/or decision...that is I doubt that they are not fully redoing the cabins because they are installing the Aquamor restaurant.

I agree it's probably not an either/or.  I have been on Vista. We both didn't care for menu, other than tacos.  Reason I made a comparison, is that there is a prior post stating that O's reason for not redoing A & B cabins was a "time" issue.  If true, time being spent on adding Aquamar could have been put to better use in A & B cabins.  

Friends just returned from 1st O cruise on Vista.  Ambassador showed them the "new" Marina....they booked 21 days for 2025.  Now cancelling.

Refurbishment on Marina advertised for 2 years and extended once.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

I agree it's probably not an either/or.  I have been on Vista. We both didn't care for menu, other than tacos.  Reason I made a comparison, is that there is a prior post stating that O's reason for not redoing A & B cabins was a "time" issue.  If true, time being spent on adding Aquamar could have been put to better use in A & B cabins.  

Friends just returned from 1st O cruise on Vista.  Ambassador showed them the "new" Marina....they booked 21 days for 2025.  Now cancelling.

Refurbishment on Marina advertised for 2 years and extended once.

I share the frustration 🫤. I booked out first PH for our 25 nights next summer on Marina after 9 previous cruises on Oceania in Concierge. Sounds like PH will get more refurbishing than A cabins and lower, but not complete which will be limited to upper suites. Especially lately Oceania is very good at breaking promises and not always being forthcoming with guests. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, edgee said:

I share the frustration 🫤. I booked out first PH for our 25 nights next summer on Marina after 9 previous cruises on Oceania in Concierge. Sounds like PH will get more refurbishing than A cabins and lower, but not complete which will be limited to upper suites. Especially lately Oceania is very good at breaking promises and not always being forthcoming with guests. 

Per the article posted on the O Website dated 12/8 it sounds like the PH suites are receiving a complete renovation. 

Penthouse Suites Renovation
The Penthouse Suites will be completely refurbished with custom-crafted furniture as well as the addition of more closets and cabinetry to increase guest storage space, plus new carpets and upholstery, updated modern lighting and thoughtful details such as more outlets and USB ports. Each Penthouse Suite will have a sleek restyled bathroom, with distinctive Italian marble throughout, abundant drawer space, and generous over-sized showers, offering the elegant residential luxury for which Oceania Cruises is renowned.

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 2

Just to throw in my 2 cents, we just got off the Marina and found her to be in very good shape. We were in a concierge cabin on 9. We have also been on the refurbished Riviera, and except for the bathroom redo, which is admittedly lovely, we are happily sailing on the Marina again next year both before and after the refurb. I realize and understand there’s a lot of frustration with Oceania right now, but we are hopeful that there are necessary and sound business decisions behind the changes. We just want Oceania to stay afloat. Pardon the pun. 

• Like 3

Concerning La Reserve:

I make no declaration of being a typical or average Oceania passenger. I have eaten all of the La Reserve course at least twice ( including Dom Perignon) and some three times. My actual favorite has been discontinued.

It disappoints me that Oceania doesn’t create more new menus on an ongoing basis. The Dom dinner first appeared in early 2019. Here we are about to enter 2024 with the exact same food and wines. Until they create a new menu, with wines, I probably won’t eat in La Reserve again until a new menu is introduced. Not holding my breath.

Second, we have previously enjoyed the nights that the bar in La Reserve is open. Often new wines, not on the regular wine by the glass menu, along with finger foods is all we want for dinner.  We don’t mind paying for those upscale wines! However, the Marina rarely advertised when the La Reserve bar would be open. One had to physically walk bye to see what was happening there on any given night. It was NEVER advertised in Currents on our March Marina cruise. Why?

The price increases for the dinners are rather shocking. My personal opinion is that Oceania is allowing La Reserve to slowly fade away. Taking out the physical venue on Marina is therefore not surprising. Sad actually. With merely a yearly change of food and wine menus, the venue could be a long term success. Oceania doesn’t embrace change. See current Specialty Restaurants menu vs 2013 menus. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania doesn’t embrace change. See current Specialty Restaurants menu vs 2013 menus. 

• Well one way they are "embracing change" is saying au revoir to Jacque and saying howdy to Ember the upscale Appleby's replacement on the Allura class ships...not a very popular move, IMHO.
  • Also addition of enhanced evening Waves offerings now available on Riviera and Vista and Aquamor on Vista and soon on Marina are positive steps.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, edgee said:
  • Well one way they are "embracing change" is saying au revoir to Jacque and saying howdy to Ember the upscale Appleby's replacement on the Allura class ships...not a very popular move, IMHO.
  • Also addition of enhanced evening Waves offerings now available on Riviera and Vista and Aquamor on Vista and soon on Marina are positive steps.

I’m sure they love people having pizza for dinner in Waves…..much less costly than steak or lobster. 
Ember is a sad replacement for Jacques. No aft elevator to deck 5 poor planning. 

• Like 2