How does HAL "air credit" work?

cruisemom42

I'm considering canceling my booking for the summer of '24 Norway booking that has been badly hit with itinerary changes and doing something different. Before I give up completely on this area, I see an itinerary a month later that covers SOME of the places that were changed as well as another couple of ports that I'm interested in. This sailing is eligible for the HAL promotion (ends Nov 15) for a $500 air credit.

Can anyone tell me how that works? Do you have to book your air through HAL?

Edited by cruisemom42

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm considering canceling my booking for the summer of '24 Norway booking that has been badly hit with itinerary changes and doing something different. Before I give up completely on this area, I see an itinerary a month later that covers SOME of the places that were changed as well as another couple of ports that I'm interested in. This sailing is eligible for the HAL promotion (ends Nov 15) for a $500 air credit.

Can anyone tell me how that works? Do you have to book your air through HAL?

I was wondering this too. I looked high and low on the website to find the terms, but it appears to be a secret.🤐 

6 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I was wondering this too. I looked high and low on the website to find the terms, but it appears to be a secret.🤐 

If no one posts details, I will plan to call HAL tomorrow morning to get details and will try to post them here.

• Thanks 2

Here are the details

connection and expires at the end of such Eligible Cruise. US$500 Air Credit Offer is based on Promo JX. Air Credit offer available on select flights booked through Holland America Line’s Flight Ease® program. Air Credit offer is available only to 1st/2nd guests in a stateroom on select 2024 Europe sailings. Credits are awarded as US$250 per leg of flight, per person. Europe Air Credits are in USD. Limit: One (1) $500 air credit per guest for 1st/2nd guests and up to US$1,000 air credit per stateroom. For transatlantic sailings, guests residing in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, will receive only a US$250 (total) credit per person for their flight home given that such sailings depart from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Pricing and availability are subject to capacity. Air Credit offer is subject to change and availability at time of booking, for new bookings only, and neither transferable nor refundable. Prices may vary. Air Credit offers have limited space and may be modified or withdrawn. Departure dates may be substituted without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. It is the responsibility of guests to ensure they have a full passport valid at least 6 months beyond the date on which travel is to commenc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Once again, as a solo I am paying the same fare as two people, but only get one $500 air credit per person while a couple in the same room would get $1000 air credit total for the same total fare. 😠  It's good I don't want to use Flight Ease anyway.

~Nancy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

Once again, as a solo I am paying the same fare as two people, but only get one $500 air credit per person while a couple in the same room would get $1000 air credit total for the same total fare. 😠  It's good I don't want to use Flight Ease anyway.

~Nancy

But you're only buying 1 flight, not 2, so your total flight charge would not be doubled. Unless FE has also started charging a single supplement...

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

Nancy, it is $250 per flight per person. There is no difference in the discount for solos.  I am using it as I am flying to Amsterdam next year and HAL famously has low business rates to AMS.  Domestically I find them usually exactly the same.  

it is not part of the fare per se, it is attached to the HIA.  No HIA, no deal

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for the details. I'm not interested in booking air through HAL so unfortunately it's of no use for me.

@cruisemom42 Years ago, a British Isles cruise was on sale “with air” on the Prinsendam. I, too, wasn’t interested in air—even though the sale price was already appealing—so I asked HAL what price they could give me without air. They took $600 off that sale fare per person, and it was too good of an offer to pass up. It was one of our favorite sailings ever!

I would ask and see what they can do. Good luck!

Edited by syesmar
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mary229 said:

it is not part of the fare per se, it is attached to the HIA.  No HIA, no deal

OK, if attached to the HIA then I'm good with that because as a solo I do just pay for one HIA extra cost.  Thanks for the clarification!  

~Nancy

• Like 1