Hotel Recommendations in Sydney

glee87

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Reasonable price, reasonable quality, reasonably convenient? 

I'm amazed how expensive Sydney accommodation has become.  More reasonable accommodation is available further away from the cruise port.  Suggest you look at accommodation on the light rail route, with no steps, which goes direct to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.  

4 hours ago, glee87 said:

Hello! I am taking a cruise from Sydney and looking for reasonable accommodations around the port area. 
Any suggestions? 
TIA!

Park Hyatt Sydney and The Merccantie hotel are reasonably close to OPT , Overseas Passenger Terminal . Or if you on a budget there is also Coco's abode for au $99. 

I recommend the Great Southern Hotel on George Street in the Haymarket.    The Great Southern is a large older hotel, with good clean rooms and modern bathrooms. Not fancy, but well priced by expensive Sydney standards. The light rail stop is right outside it.

George Street is where the light rail line runs down to the port. It is easy to use even with luggage, as there are no steps at the stops and an area just inside, where you can sit and hold your luggage. You can pay the fare using a credit card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm amazed how expensive Sydney accommodation has become.  More reasonable accommodation is available further away from the cruise port.  Suggest you look at accommodation on the light rail route, with no steps, which goes direct to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.  

I agree, it is all getting dearer except for shared bathroom 🚻 places that are less popular than years gone by. Rather than just light rail, heavy rail & ferries all link easily to Circular Quay which offers heaps of alternatives - Macmahons Point, North Sydney view etc.

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. The above is great if budget is the main priority. Sydney Harbour is magnificent to spend time overlooking it, if that is important, and being close to everything maximises the limited time a traveller might have if on their only ever visit to Sydney. A Quay Grand harbourview apartment is about as good as it gets if the budget allows. 

For the OP, until I know what is important to you, I am only repeating what I like instead of recommending what I think  you might like.

31 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I recommend the Great Southern Hotel on George Street in the Haymarket.    The Great Southern is a large older hotel, with good clean rooms and modern bathrooms. Not fancy, but well priced by expensive Sydney standards. The light rail stop is right outside it.

George Street is where the light rail line runs down to the port. It is easy to use even with luggage, as there are no steps at the stops and an area just inside, where you can sit and hold your luggage. You can pay the fare using a credit card.

We’ve stayed there and would also recommend it. 

The Rendezvous Hotel, mentioned in post #3 is easy walking distance to the OPT, and surrounded by the historical district of The Rocks. It's  an older place and not recently renovated. It has self contained rooms with kitchenette, some of which have wonderful views over the Opera House and the Harbour. But, if a cruise ship is docked, the ship obscures the views.  It is much more expensive that places further inland, but less than staying at one of the big hotels near the cruise ship terminal.

6 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

The Rendezvous Hotel, mentioned in post #3 is easy walking distance to the OPT, and surrounded by the historical district of The Rocks. It's  an older place and not recently renovated. It has self contained rooms with kitchenette, some of which have wonderful views over the Opera House and the Harbour. But, if a cruise ship is docked, the ship obscures the views.  It is much more expensive that places further inland, but less than staying at one of the big hotels near the cruise ship terminal.

a kitchenette is always handy.

Not inexpensive, but we are staying at Grand Pullman Quay.  Right on the harbor with views of the ship, bridge, OH and walking distance to the ship.  It’s also apartment style which will save us on food costs and have the ability to do laundry.  Less than the Marriott, Four seasons, Park Hyatt that only have a room.  

• Like 4

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Rydges Sydney Harbour, which is less than 200m from the OPT.
From what I have read it is a 'middle of the road' hotel with great convenience. We will be staying there prior to our cruise in late December.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buchhalm said:

And I'm surprised (or NOT, actually) that there is complete radio silence from the OP after a question in the mode of "how long is a piece of string", and people are trying to help...

Only question and no response .is always suspect

10 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Not inexpensive, but we are staying at Grand Pullman Quay.  Right on the harbor with views of the ship, bridge, OH and walking distance to the ship.  It’s also apartment style which will save us on food costs and have the ability to do laundry.  Less than the Marriott, Four seasons, Park Hyatt that only have a room.  

We love this place. Do you have a harbourview room or garden room? The Marriot has always been around 1/2 the price of a Quay Grand Harbourview room. I am not sure if anyone ever stays at the Park Hyatt - pretty much the dearest rooms in Australia.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Rydges Sydney Harbour, which is less than 200m from the OPT.
From what I have read it is a 'middle of the road' hotel with great convenience. We will be staying there prior to our cruise in late December.

Rydges Sydney has a poor reputation compared to others around the same price. It has been sold to another company and is going to close down for renovations at the end of the year. Renovations are supposed to take at least a year. In the meantime, it is not being well looked after.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

I haven't mentioned it, as the prices have shot up and there are at least 1/2 dozen places I would rather stay, all with easy access to OPT. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Rydges Sydney has a poor reputation compared to others around the same price. It has been sold to another company and is going to close down for renovations at the end of the year. Renovations are supposed to take at least a year. In the meantime, it is not being well looked after.

Interesting.....

We had this hotel booked prior to a NZ cruise that was cancelled due to some virus. We now have another cruise booked out of Sydney for August 2024, and have booked it again and paid in full (only a single night).  I find it strange that they are taking bookings and accepting payments if they will be closed for 12 months...

Do you have a source for your claims?

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

We love this place. Do you have a harbourview room or garden room? The Marriot has always been around 1/2 the price of a Quay Grand Harbourview room. I am not sure if anyone ever stays at the Park Hyatt - pretty much the dearest rooms in Australia.

We have a harbor view room 3 nights pre cruise and 4 nights after are doing a garden view.  It’s not inexpensive but not as expensive as Miami. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Interesting.....

We had this hotel booked prior to a NZ cruise that was cancelled due to some virus. We now have another cruise booked out of Sydney for August 2024, and have booked it again and paid in full (only a single night).  I find it strange that they are taking bookings and accepting payments if they will be closed for 12 months...

They may be closing after your visit.

6 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Interesting.....

I understand there will be renos rolling for a period of time, which are very much needed. I haven't heard anything about them closing to do this, and it would be rare to shut down the whole hotel for an extended period.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Interesting.....

I would be suspicious of any hotel that would request payment in full in advance for August 2024.  I also wouldn't want to stay at a hotel whilst it was being renovated.  I would phone the hotel direct to check. We used to travel to Sydney at short notice frequently and didn't have problems getting accommodation.