You know it's almost time for your cruise when.........

slavetoabunny

5 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

It used to be the big 4 for me too, but as you get older that number changes.. +1 glasses for reading...+1 glasses for seeing...+1 medication

I'm sure there will be more as the years progress....

Somehw the medication bag has grown a bit, too!  But there are so many things  in longer take, some because cruising has changed (no more formal nights) more casual MDR attire

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

My military husband is a pack eeeaaarly guy (“if you’re 15 minutes early, you’re 30 minutes late”). 

A man after my own heart.  The Good Mrs. Benson had to adapt to my mantra, "Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable."

• Like 5

Actually now that I think of it my time around the military has affected how I pack. My “dopp” kit aka toiletry bag is always packed and ready. All my travel gear is organized in bins in shelves. Throw cleans clothing in a bag and away I go. I also roll my clothes like the military. When I travel on business I even use pelican case as my luggage.

The military guys I knew didn’t usually pack ahead of time because they didn’t know when or where they were going. Rapid response type teams your lucky if you have 5 hours to go home, get your house ready (clean out the fridge unplug stuff etc), pack all your gear, say goodbye, arrange for someone to take care of your dog etc. Organized gear room was the secret to not forgetting anything.

My packing for a business trip is usually mostly done the night before I leave. Go home from work early to do laundry. Once out of the dryer I lay all the pieces I think I want in the bed. Once I know I have what I need but not too much I pack it in my suitcase.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Actually now that I think of it my time around the military has affected how I pack. 

Me, also.  I don't pre-pack, anymore; I don't have to.  But, my closet is arranged for quick and easy selection---in order, polo shirts, dress shirts, casual slacks, dress trousers, suits, and the few uniforms I might still need (service dress and mess dress).  Opposite them are a leather duffel bag, a hardcase carry-on, and a durable canvas garment bag that's been around the world with me.  My Dopp kit is pre-loaded with miniature toiletries.  Travel documents are in the safe.

Just tell me where, why, and for how long, and I can be packed in ten minutes or less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDR Benson said:

A man after my own heart.  The Good Mrs. Benson had to adapt to my mantra, "Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable."

I feel for Mrs. Benson. DH has learned to be more flexible. He knows we're on time to early when it counts (e.g all-aboard), but for most social situations we get there about-ish the time I aim for. It helps that my family is generally late too so showing up early can be awkward.

• Like 3

We fortunately have the room to not unpack lots of things since the kids grew up and left!

In one of the kids old bedrooms I have turned the closet and room into my vacation prep area!

I have a tote for things I will need for cruise trips only, another tote for my winter beach vacations and another tote of the toiletries we need for travel anywhere.

I basically never unpack our toiletry bags, as I have duplicates of everything we use daily to make my life easier. I refill the shampoos and lotions when we get home so it's ready for the next trip.

When traveling in the winter I can hang my beach outfits in the vacation closet as it is too cold at hear to wear them so they aren't missed!

It's the summer trips that are harder to prepare for as we are wearing those clothes!

The luggage also has to be hidden from the dog, she's too old to come upstairs anymore so I just keep them upstairs in my "vacation prep room!"

This year we traveled tons, some for pleasure, some for work and some for checking up on elderly mothers out of state and my vacation closet/room was a huge help!

• Like 4

. . .when you have a nightmare that you forgot your passport. Or your luggage. Or you missed your flight time. Good thing I take lots of naps while cruising!

I pack the week before and it stays packed until I pull it out and wash clothes before the next cruise.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, slavetoabunny said:

You get your luggage tags in the mail!!!!  

Wait! I have not received my luggage tags in the mail in over 10 years! Am I missing something?

Forget that, just read if in Haven then tags are mailed to you. We don't do haven,  we cruise in steerage so that we can sail 3 weeks to a month at a time. 

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are all so organised, I am very impressed. We are in the Haven but as we are in the UK we don’t get sent luggage tags. I’ve printed the ones that are in the eDocs that I downloaded after completing online check-in, note to self print another set! Our flight from Heathrow to Miami is in 6 days so I will get the suitcases down from the loft and we will start packing and sorting out what to take tomorrow. This is complicated by the fact that daytime temperatures here are around 6C/45F and our Joy cruise is the Panama Canal itinerary and it will be sunnier and warmer. This means packing summer clothes but wearing warmer garments when travelling back and forth to Heathrow.

I am organised enough to have separate travel toiletry bags but that is it!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Number34 said:

This is complicated by the fact that daytime temperatures here are around 6C/45F and our Joy cruise is the Panama Canal itinerary and it will be sunnier and warmer. This means packing summer clothes but wearing warmer garments when travelling back and forth to Heathrow.

I'm going to have the opposite issue when we go to Alaska next year.  Leaving from Florida in hot weather and cool to cold (Anchorage and Denali) at the other end.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Number34 said:

You are all so organised, I am very impressed. We are in the Haven but as we are in the UK we don’t get sent luggage tags. I’ve printed the ones that are in the eDocs that I downloaded after completing online check-in, note to self print another set! Our flight from Heathrow to Miami is in 6 days so I will get the suitcases down from the loft and we will start packing and sorting out what to take tomorrow. This is complicated by the fact that daytime temperatures here are around 6C/45F and our Joy cruise is the Panama Canal itinerary and it will be sunnier and warmer. This means packing summer clothes but wearing warmer garments when travelling back and forth to Heathrow.

Leaving Canada in 16 days and going from Rome to NYC could see from -20 to 20 Celsius so I get your struggles. I’m bringing my down sweater which packs up really small, rain coat, light pair of gloves and a shawl that I can wear as a scarf which should keep me warm enough when running to and from the airport yet take little space while I travel or can be used in warmer climates.

8 hours ago, Number34 said:

Same issue here.

Sailing 8 weeks from today, so colder still than now. We're running from LA to Miami.

Mostly just 2 days on the bookends of cold weather. I'm considering stashing  my winter jacket in my luggage at the airport, swapping it for a light weight. I've done that once before. LA shouldn't be very cool; will check the forecast when the time comes.

i know its time for my cruise when I start having a hard time sleeping due to excitement.  Like others, I pack a few days early ( about 4 days), then I rush out, but some new things, and re-pack.  Toiletry bag is packed the night before and put into my carryon in the morn of departure.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Same issue here.

Sailing 8 weeks from today, so colder still than now. We're running from LA to Miami.

Mostly just 2 days on the bookends of cold weather. I'm considering stashing  my winter jacket in my luggage at the airport, swapping it for a light weight. I've done that once before. LA shouldn't be very cool; will check the forecast when the time comes.

I have a lightweight 'packable' down jacket that you can fold down into it's own small storage pouch.  

It's easy to take along but oh so warm on a cold airplane........or when I arrive back home during a snow storm❄️🥶❄️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I have a lightweight 'packable' down jacket that you can fold down into it's own small storage pouch.  

It's easy to take along but oh so warm on a cold airplane........or when I arrive back home during a snow storm❄️🥶❄️

Sounds like a great item.

👍

• Like 1