Azamara cancels Quest Norway cruise

oddjob16

Just got this from my TA. This is devastating news. Finally we were ready for a fjord cruise with Johannes and told the rest of the family to arrange their plans to different dates. (We usually don' travel in july since the kids and gran kids comes to visit.)

So,- today this message popped in:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to make the difficult decision to cancel the cruise that they had booked for July 26, 2024, on Azamara Quest®. This cancellation is necessary because the drydock schedule for the Azamara Quest has been adjusted, and their original travel dates now conflict with this essential maintenance work. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may cause them, and rest assured that we are committed to making this situation right for them.

We want to offer them several alternative options for their travel plans. We hope that one of these alternatives will provide them with the opportunity to enjoy another remarkable Azamara cruise experience. Below, they will find the details of the alternative options available to them:

Option 1:

Sail on one of Azamara's alternative sailings, Azamara Onward – July 13, 2024, Azamara Journey - June 13, 2025, or Azamara Journey - July 28, 2025. To view the itineraries, click on the corresponding date.

If they select any of these sailings in the same category booked, we will honor their original, prorated or prevailing rate, whichever is lowest. In addition, they will receive an onboard credit as a token of our appreciation:

• $500 USD onboard credit for bookings of a Veranda category stateroom or below.
  • $1000 USD onboard credit for bookings of any Suite category.

Option 2:

Select Any Other Azamara Sailing of Your Choice

They have the flexibility to choose any other Azamara sailing that suits their preferences. If they opt for this choice at the prevailing rate, we will provide them with the following onboard credit:

• $300 USD onboard credit for bookings of a Veranda category stateroom or below.
  • $600 USD onboard credit for bookings of any Suite category.

Option 3:

Cancel Their Reservation and Receive a Full Refund

If none of the alternative options resonate with their plans, they may choose to cancel their reservation entirely. In this case, they will receive a full refund of their cruise fare. They will also receive a full refund on any flights, hotels and transfers that have been booked as a package through Azamara.

If they’ve independently arranged bookings for flights, hotels, and transfers, Azamara will refund the specified change or cancellation fees stated below. To qualify, provide proof of receipt to Azamara Cruises by December 8, 2023.

• $500 USD/£400/€450/5,500 NOK per person for short haul flights.
  • $1000 USD/ £800/ €900/11,000 NOK per person for long haul flights.

We would also like to assure them that any pre/post land programs and shore excursions they may have booked with Azamara for their canceled cruise will also be fully refunded.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this situation may have caused them, and we sincerely hope that they will continue to choose Azamara Cruises for their future travel adventures. We kindly request that you inform us of their decision no later than December 8, 2023. Their timely response will help us make the necessary arrangements to ensure their smooth transition to one of the alternative options or the cancellation of their reservation.

2 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

If they’ve independently arranged bookings for flights, hotels, and transfers, Azamara will refund the specified change or cancellation fees stated below. To qualify, provide proof of receipt to Azamara Cruises by December 8, 2023.

• $500 USD/£400/€450/5,500 NOK per person for short haul flights.
  • $1000 USD/ £800/ €900/11,000 NOK per person for long haul flights.

If people booked non-refundable long haul business or first class flights, they will suffer major losses. Very unfortunate.

Im so sorry to hear this Odd. I know how much that cruise meant to you. It’s very late cancellation given for many airfares will be purchased and the maximum sums being refunded are too low for people buying business class 

Edited by uktog

20 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

I am currently on an Azamara back to back.  Azamara wants a decision as well as receipts from cancellation by Dec. 8th.  I don’t even get home till the 14th.  Rather overwhelmed at the moment.

Surely they can wait. I’d go to the future cruise people and ask them to speak up on your behalf. So sorry to hear this has happened to you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgg said:

If people booked non-refundable long haul business or first class flights, they will suffer major losses. Very unfortunate.

Most US carriers these days will allow flights to be canceled and rebooked without cancellation fees, only change in fare.

I feel bad for all affected; always disappointing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Im so sorry to hear this Odd. I know how much that cruise meant to you. It’s very late cancellation given for many airfares will be purchased and the maximum sums being refunded are too low for people buying business class 

Yes it is a real bummer. We had refundable air and hotel so no problem for us, but I guess many people are looking at significant losses. There are no Azamara cruises that will be suitable replacements in this period and we will consider maybe re-book to Journey in 2025. Johannes will be on Quest in 2025 doing the Greenland and Canada sailings, but maybe he will do the fjords again in 2026? This was a cruise that we had waited for…

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, laurieb said:

Most US carriers these days will allow flights to be canceled and rebooked without cancellation fees, only change in fare.

I feel bad for all affected; always disappointing

That’s the problem the solution is US centric- almost all European carriers do not unless you bought the more expensive cancellable airfare 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@oddjob16 Sorry to hear this!  I have imagined that cancellation due to drydocking or emergency repairs  is a risk with any cruiseline.  Fortunately it had not happened to us with Azamara, but I see that it could happen.  I realize it causes a lot of disruption and could cost thousands of dollars.

12 minutes ago, uktog said:

That’s the problem the solution is US centric- almost all European carriers do not unless you bought the more expensive cancellable airfare 

@uktog I did not know this!  In the US, I stick to the same airline and I can cancel and use the money for future flight.  

I'm curious, while in Europe, could you buy flights from the website of a US carrier?  You may end up flying with a European airline that is partners with the US carrier, but could that give you some protection?  I realize this does not help those who have already bought their tickets.

1 hour ago, Dynacruiser said:

@oddjob16 Sorry to hear this!  I have imagined that cancellation due to drydocking or emergency repairs  is a risk with any cruiseline.  Fortunately it had not happened to us with Azamara, but I see that it could happen.  I realize it causes a lot of disruption and could cost thousands of dollars.

@uktog I did not know this!  In the US, I stick to the same airline and I can cancel and use the money for future flight.  

I'm curious, while in Europe, could you buy flights from the website of a US carrier?  You may end up flying with a European airline that is partners with the US carrier, but could that give you some protection?  I realize this does not help those who have already bought their tickets.

We have had cancelation a few times. It is always bad news, but previously we have been given more options for re-booking. Wish there was a broder choice in the same period.

11 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

We have had cancelation a few times. It is always bad news, but previously we have been given more options for re-booking. Wish there was a broder choice in the same period.

Sorry you've had this news Odd. Very disappointing, especially as a local who had made family plans. It's tough because Norway is a special cruise and there really isn't anything comparible. It's not like you are going to the Med and can pick another. Hopefully you can get something else planned. 

Phil 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was able to rebook to the Journey for 7/24 but I had to go from a V1 to a V3. The bad part which my TA is trying to resolve is that we booked the trip will on The Quest in January 2023 & at the moment we have lost the early booking, book on board, loyalty discounts and also the Essentials Package. I can see loosing these promos if I cancelled the trip but Azamara did the cancelling. Not a good business move.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, candkd said:

I was able to rebook to the Journey for 7/24 but I had to go from a V1 to a V3. The bad part which my TA is trying to resolve is that we booked the trip will on The Quest in January 2023 & at the moment we have lost the early booking, book on board, loyalty discounts and also the Essentials Package. I can see loosing these promos if I cancelled the trip but Azamara did the cancelling. Not a good business move.

There are only 3 sailing for which they will honour the prorated rate and if you choose any other sailing you pay the prevailing rate. 

Honouring the prorated rate would include the early booking bonuses and on board booking OBC,- in my book.

As I said earlier: I would have preferred some more options to maintain my original per night price and other benefits. 

I am not sure what is " normal" compensation for a cancelled cruise, but there must be many examples out there.???

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Sorry you've had this news Odd. Very disappointing, especially as a local who had made family plans. It's tough because Norway is a special cruise and there really isn't anything comparible. It's not like you are going to the Med and can pick another. Hopefully you can get something else planned. 

Phil 

Thanks, Phil. Feeling a bit deflated, to say the least. Azamara's offer in Option 3 to give us a full refund is gobsmackingly generous. I must be the luckiest guy here....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, caymancouple said:

I am currently on an Azamara back to back.  Azamara wants a decision as well as receipts from cancellation by Dec. 8th.  I don’t even get home till the 14th.  Rather overwhelmed at the moment.

21 hours ago, uktog said:

Surely they can wait. I’d go to the future cruise people and ask them to speak up on your behalf. So sorry to hear this has happened to you 

If they tell you they will delay past Dec 8th get it in writing/email.  Just my two cents.

2 hours ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

I know this is very disappointing for those booked on this. We were to join the Quest in Oslo for the Ireland intensive at the end of your cruise. I wonder if that will change. Does anyone know where Azamara does their dry docking?

Looking at the web site, it would appear that your cruise is still going ahead, one would presume that they would have cancelled multiple itineraries at the same time, our email suggested that it was a schedule change in an already planned dry dock .. Your cruise looks like a great trip, hope you enjoy it.

7 hours ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

I know this is very disappointing for those booked on this. We were to join the Quest in Oslo for the Ireland intensive at the end of your cruise. I wonder if that will change. Does anyone know where Azamara does their dry 

Quest will obviously sail to Oslo in time for your departure. The drydock is either Bremerhaven or Amsterdam according to my unofficial sources.

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Coming out of COVID I am seeing a lot of itinerary and dry dock changes - due to overcrowding. Affecting many cruise lines. 

That's my guess here. Quest was originally scheduled for dry-dock 1 April for 14 days. That was canceled and 2 7 day Cruises substituted--at very cheap prices. Now they need to axe a longer sailing at significantly higher per diems to achieve what is obviously a necessary dry-dock. 

• Like 2

As I mentioned above, Azamara also canceled my August 25th cruise on Pursuit.  I was doing a b2b with the August 18th cruise.   I was able to book the August 10th to keep the b2b.

The major issue is rebooking my air, as the beginning and ends have changed.  All the good mileage awards are gone.

10 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

As I mentioned above, Azamara also canceled my August 25th cruise on Pursuit.  I was doing a b2b with the August 18th cruise.   I was able to book the August 10th to keep the b2b.

The major issue is rebooking my air, as the beginning and ends have changed.  All the good mileage awards are gone.

What reason was given for cancelling that cruise?