Brooklyn Embarcation

cruisin4thedeepblue

H, I am just looking for information on embarkation times and terminal in Brooklyn. We have a 2:15 boarding time but we probably will be at the port around 12:00.

My wife can't stand for any long periods. Will we be in a long line and is there a chance we can board earlier? I am pretty sure Cunard can supply a wheel chair so she doesn't have to stand long if they do put us in a long line

Thanks

Brooklyn gets very crowded early and there is very little room to wait, and there are not enough seats. I do not know that wheelchair assistance is provided until you are past the security line, though I do know that folks in wheelchairs are given priority through security. There is a desk in the entry and those folks can likely help, but I strongly urge you to try to arrive closer to your time so that everything is up and running. You will have less waiting around time than if you show up at noon.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 10:39 AM, cruisin4thedeepblue said:

I am pretty sure Cunard can supply a wheel chair 

Cunard has little control in cruise terminal operations. I wouldn’t assume anything.  The Brooklyn Cruise terminal is run by a private company and leased out by the City of NY. 
Contact Cunard or your TA to get info regarding specific services they can in the terminal. 

• Like 1

You won’t be able to assume Cunard will be able to supply a wheelchair. They usually only have the emergency use ones from The Medical Centre. Folk who need them onboard or for embarkation have to hire them through  Mobility at Sea, again a separate enterprise. If you are likely to need any form of assistance it’s essential you check with your T A or Cunard direct. 

• Like 1

If your wife needs Assistance to Board the ship at RedHook and has mobility needs and thus likely requires a WCHR then you should request Special Assistance with Cunard well in advance of your sailing.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

You won’t be able to assume Cunard will be able to supply a wheelchair. They usually only have the emergency use ones from The Medical Centre. Folk who need them onboard or for embarkation have to hire them through  Mobility at Sea, again a separate enterprise. If you are likely to need any form of assistance it’s essential you check with your T A or Cunard direct. 

This is a NYC embarkation. To have a MaS hire, one would have to have had it put on in S'ton and then presuming it's a one way, it would be collected at S'ton when the ship docks.

The only issue with that is it although it would only be used for approx 7 days, the hire cost would be for the two weeks.

If the wheelchair has been stored in housekeeping on the outward journey, then it wouldn't be available for embarkation but would be in your cabin for when you have embarked.

If there isn't a US equivalent of MaS which could facilitate wheelchair hire from NYC if the TA is a return then someone is missing a trick.

Either way, Cunard wheelchairs are never available in S'ton for embarkation, they are always from the terminal's assistance programme.

Thanks. I had contacted Cunard about the possibility of wheelchair assistance and they said there would be someone to assist if needed.They have our information. It might be difficult to get there any later than 12 - 12;30 but will try and work it out. We never had this kind of issue on our 39 other cruises. We cruised on the QM2 in 2009 and did not have boarding times then. But, thanks for all the responses. I guess Covid changed a lot of things...not for the better. But, understand

• Like 1

My wife had trouble walking a significant distance. One year someone with a wheelchair greeted us at the curb and asked if we'd appreciate wheelchair assistance. I gather that's not typical (and believe the chair person got in a bit of trouble for it). Honestly I haven't done the actual process but do know if someone in your party has a noticeable mobility issue (even a cane) you should be invited to use the queue at the extreme right end of the counter.

It's been a year since I embarked in Brooklyn, but I remember that there was a row of chairs near the entrance to the terminal where people could wait for wheelchair assistance. There was one VERY unhappy couple who had assumed that all they had to do was turn up and ask and a wheelchair would arrive asap. Instead, they had to wait until someone was available to help them. 

@cruisin4thedeepblue, does your wife expect to need a wheelchair on board, or just to deal with standing in line for embarkation? If it's only for embarkation, you don't need to rent anything, but you should contact Cunard and ask how to arrange help with embarkation. 

8 hours ago, cruisin4thedeepblue said:

Thanks. I had contacted Cunard about the possibility of wheelchair assistance and they said there would be someone to assist if needed.They have our information. It might be difficult to get there any later than 12 - 12;30 but will try and work it out. We never had this kind of issue on our 39 other cruises. We cruised on the QM2 in 2009 and did not have boarding times then. But, thanks for all the responses. I guess Covid changed a lot of things...not for the better. But, understand

I have no idea what disabled embarkation from kerbside  is like in NYC as we [pre Covid] have always been in transit so have had terminal arranged disabled assistance but it seemed to work OK.

Post Covid, it works fine in S'ton so can't imagine it would be any different in NYC. If it has changed at all, it will be a tightening up as Cunard need to know who needs help onboard in the case of emergency and that in my book is a definite plus so is better.

On 11/16/2023 at 3:39 PM, cruisin4thedeepblue said:

H, I am just looking for information on embarkation times and terminal in Brooklyn. We have a 2:15 boarding time but we probably will be at the port around 12:00.

My wife can't stand for any long periods. Will we be in a long line and is there a chance we can board earlier? I am pretty sure Cunard can supply a wheel chair so she doesn't have to stand long if they do put us in a long line

Thanks

You can probably buy a wheelchair for what 50 bucks if you wanted that would sort the problem for you. There is also a wheelchair line which I think you can go in but you might need to request assistance either way.

38 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I have no idea what disabled embarkation from kerbside  is like in NYC as we [pre Covid] have always been in transit so have had terminal arranged disabled assistance but it seemed to work OK.

Post Covid, it works fine in S'ton so can't imagine it would be any different in NYC. If it has changed at all, it will be a tightening up as Cunard need to know who needs help onboard in the case of emergency and that in my book is a definite plus so is better.

To my memory of Brooklyn terminal there is no seating inside it was a just big zoo of people standing in line waiting to board the ship airport check in style. That was in 2022. There are or at least used to be seats in Southampton.

Edited by ace2542

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

To my memory of Brooklyn terminal there is no seating inside it was a just big zoo of people standing in line waiting to board the ship airport check in style.

So no wheelchairs for those who need help? I am amazed that is so different from S'ton disabled assistance. Have things deteriorated that much in NYC cruise ports?

Just now, Victoria2 said:

So no wheelchairs for those who need help? I am amazed that is so different from S'ton disabled assistance. Have things deteriorated that much in NYC cruise ports?

My father had his wheelchair assistance at Brooklyn that is all I remember.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

So assistance, which is what the post you answered was about and which you seemed to indicate was just a zoo, is still there.

Good.

I know we had my father down for the assistance but whether Cunard or the terminal provided that assistance I cannot recall. But there are no seats I can remember not like at Southampton.

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

To my memory of Brooklyn terminal there is no seating inside it was a just big zoo of people standing in line waiting to board the ship airport check in style.

There's a check-in queue (as I mentioned there's a station at the far right with its own shorter queue at the extreme right end of the long check-in desk) and then there's seating for while you wait for your boarding number to be called located beyond the left end of the check-in desk. If you're in Grills or World Club Platinum or Diamond there's a smaller lounge with refreshments further to the left but it's too small for the number of grills and CWC passengers who would like to use it.

There's also a Grills/Platinum/Diamond check-in queue but in my experience at peak times you'd wait about as long in that queue as you might in the regular check-in queue.

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's been a year since I embarked in Brooklyn, but I remember that there was a row of chairs near the entrance to the terminal where people could wait for wheelchair assistance. There was one VERY unhappy couple who had assumed that all they had to do was turn up and ask and a wheelchair would arrive asap. Instead, they had to wait until someone was available to help them. 

@cruisin4thedeepblue, does your wife expect to need a wheelchair on board, or just to deal with standing in line for embarkation? If it's only for embarkation, you don't need to rent anything, but you should contact Cunard and ask how to arrange help with embarkation. 

Hey thanks, No she can walk and believe it or not we ballroom dance ( Not as much as we used too tho! ) which her doctor said she needs to be active but standing too long or walking distances causes a burning pain and numbness to her feet. I will contact Cunard again for additional information. She can always sit down on the carry - on luggage which she has done before. Not ideal but it basically worked. One way or the other we are getting on the ship!!

1 hour ago, cruisin4thedeepblue said:

Hey thanks, No she can walk and believe it or not we ballroom dance ( Not as much as we used too tho! ) which her doctor said she needs to be active but standing too long or walking distances causes a burning pain and numbness to her feet. I will contact Cunard again for additional information. She can always sit down on the carry - on luggage which she has done before. Not ideal but it basically worked. One way or the other we are getting on the ship!!

Dear cruisin4ththedeepblue,

Do you have a email on file with Cunard for any communications and updates to your sailing?

We are going on a March 15th 2025 sailing to the Caribbean on the QM2 from Brooklyn and have already received a "IMPORTANT UPDATE APPLIED TO YOUR VOYAGE" this far out. It was to make us aware of notifying Cunard of any Mobility Problems from the Terminal to boarding the ship and needs needed on board during the sailing. It was quite long and detailed for those needs we should need if applied to us.It also stated that any needs not brought to their attention prior to the sailing could affect any needs while on board during the cruise.

I agree to calling Cunard Contact Center.  1-800-728-6273 is the number stated in email.

I hope you were not excluded from this type of email to your sailing.

6 hours ago, cruisin4thedeepblue said:

I do believe it. DH could walk long distances, but standing still for too long made him feel lightheaded. 

I have three Cunard cruises booked and I received the email @BklynBoy8 mentioned for each cruise. Apparently, some people who needed mobility assistance on board hadn't let Cunard know in advance and were denied boarding. The issue seems to be limited staff to assist passengers on a one-to-one basis in an emergency. 

So when you call, make sure they understand that standing at embarkation is the only issue. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I do believe it. DH could walk long distances, but standing still for too long made him feel lightheaded. 

I have three Cunard cruises booked and I received the email @BklynBoy8 mentioned for each cruise. Apparently, some people who needed mobility assistance on board hadn't let Cunard know in advance and were denied boarding. The issue seems to be limited staff to assist passengers on a one-to-one basis in an emergency. 

So when you call, make sure they understand that standing at embarkation is the only issue. 

and standing in an emergency onboard etc.

Asking for assistance and the use of a wheelchair to avoid possible standing for a while sounds a good idea if standing for a while is a problem.

Informing the company of possible issues in the highly unlikely emergency scenario is also sensible. 

The issues are folk assuming their cabin will be fine for mobility scooters, foldable or other wise, without checking first, those who don’t inform the company prior to embarkation they need help and expect assistance to board, those who in an emergency would not be able to use stairs or would be very slow with their sticks etc…

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Dear cruisin4ththedeepblue,

Do you have a email on file with Cunard for any communications and updates to your sailing?

We are going on a March 15th 2025 sailing to the Caribbean on the QM2 from Brooklyn and have already received a "IMPORTANT UPDATE APPLIED TO YOUR VOYAGE" this far out. It was to make us aware of notifying Cunard of any Mobility Problems from the Terminal to boarding the ship and needs needed on board during the sailing. It was quite long and detailed for those needs we should need if applied to us.It also stated that any needs not brought to their attention prior to the sailing could affect any needs while on board during the cruise.

I agree to calling Cunard Contact Center.  1-800-728-6273 is the number stated in email.

I hope you were not excluded from this type of email to your sailing.

I believe we got that email. I have called and notified them she might need assistance possibly boarding and disembarking and at ports with long walks from the ship to the port entry.Normally ports have assistance available for just that reason.

I will call again today. I do like the Cunard's customer service reps they are very nice, and helpful, and I usually do not have to wait long to speak to one

Thanks!!

When embarking on the QM2 from Brooklyn, we always fly in to NYC the day before, and stay in a hotel in the Wall Street area (Hotel Indigo on Water St, in our case).  Then, after breakfast in the morning, we walk the 2 blooks to the peir 11 ferry terninal and take the ferry accross the East River to Red Hook.  Cost is about $2,75, and drops you literally 100 yards from the baggage drop.   Its just so easy and convenient - traffic, no taxis .  We drop our bags early and then walk back out the gate to a little bar thats literally a block down the street.  A light lunch and a pint of beer later, we walk back at our appointed boarding time.  Very civilized way to start the voyage!!

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, jroulston said:

When embarking on the QM2 from Brooklyn, we always fly in to NYC the day before, and stay in a hotel in the Wall Street area (Hotel Indigo on Water St, in our case).  Then, after breakfast in the morning, we walk the 2 blooks to the peir 11 ferry terninal and take the ferry accross the East River to Red Hook.  Cost is about $2,75, and drops you literally 100 yards from the baggage drop.   Its just so easy and convenient - traffic, no taxis .  We drop our bags early and then walk back out the gate to a little bar thats literally a block down the street.  A light lunch and a pint of beer later, we walk back at our appointed boarding time.  Very civilized way to start the voyage!!

Or stay at the downtown Brooklyn Marriott and take a quick Uber to Terminal in Red Hook. Both lower Manhattan and Brooklyn are great ideas vs midtown hotels further away with traffic and extra transportation costs. 

• Like 1