Osteria

Cruise-y

OK, we get it. The point is it's not going to change just because you keep complaining about it. There are so many choices. As Keith said, adapt. Or perhaps find a cruise line more to your liking or another less port intensive itinerary. But I think the horse is now fully beaten.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Txcotn said:

OK, we get it. The point is it's not going to change just because you keep complaining about it. There are so many choices. As Keith said, adapt. Or perhaps find a cruise line more to your liking or another less port intensive itinerary. But I think the horse is now fully beaten.

Sorry but because of your answer I seriously doubt you got what I am saying. But it is good so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2023 at 6:16 PM, travelberlin said:

Texas Tillie, please do not destroy my hope 😂😂😂. Now seriously, thanks for your post. It puts things in perspective. By the way, isn’t fish always frozen on cruise ships? I have only had fresh fish on port of calls in the Royal Clipper and I remember the cook himself went to the market to buy the fish.

Ivi

on Hapag Lloyd there is fresh fish !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 11/22/2023 at 5:01 AM, Txcotn said:

Why such an unfriendly language, especially telling others how they should chose their cruise line?

I understood travelberlin perfectly and agree with him. BWY, he was not "complaining" but rather sharing information about the European custom. In Europe there are Breakfast, Dinner ( the largest meal at midday) and Supper (a light meal in the evening). 

This is our meal schedule too, even before we have retired.

The bonus: we are fit and have the same weight as in our youth :).

Edited by Sdancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Why such an unfriendly language, especially telling others how they should chose their cruise line?

I understood travelberlin perfectly and agree with him. BWY, he was not "complaining" but rather sharing information about the European custom. In Europe there are Breakfast, Dinner ( the largest meal at midday) and Supper (a light meal in the evening). 

This is our meal schedule too, even before we have retired.

The bonus: we are fit and have the same weight as in our youth :).

that really is depending on which country in Europe

exception for weekend , we always  had the largest meal in the evening ...

and pastries were for the weekend  unless there was a celebration , but in Germany during the week a lot of pastries are consumed . and in France in some area's 2 hot meals a day and in summer daily salad and in Italy cakes and tarts for breakfast ... the pastries we eat as desserts

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 2:50 PM, travelberlin said:

I am glad to read about your positive experience at Tastes. From all restaurants onboard is the one I am most curious about because I will probably will eat there on port days at lunch time. Have you been there also for lunch? Can you tell us about your experience at lunch time?

Ivi

The menu at lunch is much more varied and I would say down to earth. I remember the spaghetti bolognese being absolutely fantastic

15 hours ago, Out2See said:

The menu at lunch is much more varied and I would say down to earth. I remember the spaghetti bolognese being absolutely fantastic

Thank you. Spaghetti bolognese at a Crystal cruise? Not really my idea of luxury although I love pasta. 

9 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Thank you. Spaghetti bolognese at a Crystal cruise? Not really my idea of luxury although I love pasta. 

that was usually served during embarkation lunch 😃 

• Haha 1

I was on the Smphony for the Med. cruise in May, 2024.  I was never so disappointed in the menu and the food at Osteria.  I ordered the risotto for a starter and sent it back because there was too much sauce and cheese in it.  I didn't think the meue choices were very good and if the menu doesn't change on my November, 2024 cruise, i won't go there.  The whole evening was very boring and uninteresting for me.  I love Italian food very much but this just didn't do it for me.  JMHO

• Like 1

I am starting to think about what clothes to pack for my upcoming cruise. I am trying to travel as light as possible.

Is it cold at the restaurants at dinner time? Would a dress with long sleeves from a thin fabric be enough, or should I also pack a jacket or a shawl?

Thank you!

Just now, Sdancer said:

I am starting to think about what clothes to pack for my upcoming cruise. I am trying to travel as light as possible.

Is it cold at the restaurants at dinner time? Would a dress with long sleeves from a thin fabric be enough, or should I also pack a jacket or a shawl?

Thank you!

I would bring something to layer just to be on the safe side.

There are areas of the ship that I found very cold day and night.  

While I found the restaurants to not be as cold as some of the other areas I am reminded we are all different. I am often cold.  Some are often hot.  So what works for me might not for you but you can't go wrong bringing a few items to layer to be on the safe side and something like a shawl could do the trick.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Thank you!

I'm always cold on the ships. A shawl or pashmina does it for me. I don't wear anything sleeveless, but sometimes short sleeves in daytime, always long at night. I find Waterside especially chilly. DH likes the room like a meat locker.🤣

Edited by Txcotn
added
  • Thanks 1

I was just on Symphony and I noticed that when the gang plank was open for excursions, it would get very chilly as the wind blew in and up through each floor. This was especially evident when we were in Casablanca and the wind blew in until 11 PM.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, dimundsR said:

I was just on Symphony and I noticed that when the gang plank was open for excursions, it would get very chilly as the wind blew in and up through each floor. This was especially evident when we were in Casablanca and the wind blew in until 11 PM.

And the reverse is true when the ships sail in warmer climates. Corridors and stairways receive an abundance of unconditioned, hot and humid outside air until all shell openings are closed and the ship is again underway.

Rob

Edited by ryndam
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ryndam said:

And the reverse is true when the ships sail in warmer climates. Corridors and stairways receive an abundance of unconditioned, hot and humid outside air until all shell openings are closed and the ship is again underway.

Rob

So true. I have a travel clock with temperature so I know the actual temperatre and even cranking the thermostat in the room down as low as it will go, it's rather warm in the cabin.😮

Patty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I would bring something to layer just to be on the safe side.

There are areas of the ship that I found very cold day and night.  

While I found the restaurants to not be as cold as some of the other areas I am reminded we are all different. I am often cold.  Some are often hot.  So what works for me might not for you but you can't go wrong bringing a few items to layer to be on the safe side and something like a shawl could do the trick.

Keith

With all due respect, Keith, the thought of you entering Osteria in a shawl is giving me a headache. Might I suggest increasing your consumption of red meat 🥩 if you’re feeling a chill? 🤔🤷‍♂️

• Haha 12

7 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

So true. I have a travel clock with temperature so I know the actual temperatre and even cranking the thermostat in the room down as low as it will go, it's rather warm in the cabin.😮

Patty

GMTA!  Rob's post immediately brought to mind every time I've unpacked my bags in my cabin that felt like a Phoenix patio on a June afternoon (on every ship/line).  😄  Those are usually the only few hours I'm ever uncomfortable on any cruise, but I run warm and appreciate that most people would usually find that chilly, and totally concur with the messages above.

Vince

• Like 2

This conversation reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears when they porridge. 

Often I am too cold on the ship but Anne Marie is not.  I'll lower the thermostat and a few minutes later she will raise it.

So it's not as simple as the ship is too cold or too hot.  Like most things it's what you think but what you think could be quite different than what someone else thinks.

Moral of the story. Always a good idea to have clothing that you can layer.

Keith

+1 Brian and+1 2bobs.

When I think of increasing consumption to get a little warmer wine might be a better solution for me.  😃

In the meantime, my go to at night on-board is a sports jacket and during the morning walking the inside of the ship is usually a light jacket.  Another good place is the fitness center but only if you plan to work out.  Thank goodness it is 7x24.

Keith

• Like 3

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum and at Osteria. This January while on board Serenity; while dining at Osteria we  were surprised the waiter via directions from the chef refused my request for a side of marinara sauce to accompany my entree. 

The entree was a kind of fancy breaded veal patty ( I do not see it now on the current menu provided here by dimundsR?  maybe it was taken off? )  I thought it would be nice to have a marinara suace placed on the side of the entree... Mind you I was not asking to have the sauce put on the entree, just to the side... 🤔   

The explanation from both the waiter and also the maitre d' for the refusal was that given the restaurant has a Michelin status they do not allow modifications or special requests. The maitre d' explained further that that if an Osteria entree was altered and then a guest might take a picture of the said altered dish, it could get out on social media and this is what they were trying to avoid.   Actually we were all kind of floored and I was able to laugh it off and not get upset with a first world problem🙂 but I do think this refusal was laughable and it made us miss  Prego all that  much more.  These are the trials and travails of having to put up with a luxury cruise line which we do love but greatly annoyed by the 'no' being given when we are always accustomed to the Crystal 'yes'.  I summed it up as Osteria is a 'no restaurant' on Crystal a 'yes ship'.  I would be Interested to know some thoughts on this from some of our Crystal Society members.                 

• Like 1

Reminds me of my experience at Osteria in January where a risotto dish was served with shrimp that was 80% still raw. I was told that was the way it was supposed to be. I made a pile of raw shrimp on the side of the plate and ate the risotto. I eat some raw seafood at Umi Uma, but not shrimp!!😏

Patty 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Embarker1 said:

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum and at Osteria. This January while on board Serenity; while dining at Osteria we  were surprised the waiter via directions from the chef refused my request for a side of marinara sauce to accompany my entree. 

The entree was a kind of fancy breaded veal patty ( I do not see it now on the current menu provided here by dimundsR?  maybe it was taken off? )  I thought it would be nice to have a marinara suace placed on the side of the entree... Mind you I was not asking to have the sauce put on the entree, just to the side... 🤔   

The explanation from both the waiter and also the maitre d' for the refusal was that given the restaurant has a Michelin status they do not allow modifications or special requests. The maitre d' explained further that that if an Osteria entree was altered and then a guest might take a picture of the said altered dish, it could get out on social media and this is what they were trying to avoid.   Actually we were all kind of floored and I was able to laugh it off and not get upset with a first world problem🙂 but I do think this refusal was laughable and it made us miss  Prego all that  much more.  These are the trials and travails of having to put up with a luxury cruise line which we do love but greatly annoyed by the 'no' being given when we are always accustomed to the Crystal 'yes'.  I summed it up as Osteria is a 'no restaurant' on Crystal a 'yes ship'.  I would be Interested to know some thoughts on this from some of our Crystal Society members.                 

My understanding is that they are to go with what is on the menu and not change it up.

I think the reasoning is if they let you do it before long people are asking for other changes saying I know you did this for another guest. Also, it's because people might start asking for their favorite former Prego dishes

I think we are all spoiled to some extent by Waterside where one can change things up on the spot and with notice of 12 to 24 hours make requests.

The specialty restaurants are really a different animal. The galleys are very small which limits what they can store in them and cook concurrently. I am amazed at how they are able to just accommodate what is on the menu.

Keith

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Embarker1 said:

Interesting. I am curious about one thing: where is it stated that Osteria has a Michelin status? Has it received a star or is mentioned in some Michelin list? 

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1