question about booking 3 in a cabin

Illbcruzn4life

I was pricing out a cabin for my son, daughter in-law, and my 4 year old grand daughter.

On the bookinmg page it doesn't ask what the 3rd persons age is so they actually make a 4 year old get a drink package if the adults do? 

I see they charges the drink package gratuities for all 3 pax.

Don't book NCL a lot so wanted some clarification. Maybe I didn't click something during the mock booking?

in the terms and conditions on the free at sea drink package:

Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation for the entire length of the cruise. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Unlimited Open Bar Package does not apply, and soda package will not be given as a substitution.

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

in the terms and conditions on the free at sea drink package:

Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation for the entire length of the cruise. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Unlimited Open Bar Package does not apply, and soda package will not be given as a substitution.

thank you. I guess I would need to call up to book then? She doesn't drink soda. mostly water with some juices thrown in.

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Did you get all the way through booking with birthdates?

no didn't go that far. Judging by that question I am going to assume that once i put her birthday in it will knock off that charge??

Edited by Illbcruzn4life

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

no didn't go that far. Judging by that question I am going to assume that once i put her birthday in it will knock off that charge??

If the child is booked as guest #3, the child doesn't get any drink package. The parents (guests #1 & #2) get the PBP and are charged the 20% service charge.

If the child is booked as guest #2, the child gets the soda package and is charged the 20% on that package ($1.99 per day or $13.93 for 7 days). The parents (guests #1 & #3) get the PBP and are charged the 20% service charge.

By making the child guest #2, the child gets the soda package for less than buying it if the child is guest #3.

Once the age of the guest is entered, the service charge will adjust and can be seen under "details" near the total price.

Making the child guest #2 would mess things up for the SDP since the child would have the dining package and guest #3 would not. However, if all 3 are dining together, the server will probably use the child's SDP to cover the adult's meal and would charge whatever the child ordered (if applicable) to the onboard account. In other words, if the child ordered from the kids' menu and the adults ordered steaks, there would be no charge.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

54 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If the child is booked as guest #3, the child doesn't get any drink package. The parents (guests #1 & #2) get the PBP and are charged the 20% service charge.

If the child is booked as guest #2, the child gets the soda package and is charged the 20% on that package ($1.99 per day or $13.93 for 7 days). The parents (guests #1 & #3) get the PBP and are charged the 20% service charge.

By making the child guest #2, the child gets the soda package for less than buying it if the child is guest #3.

Once the age of the guest is entered, the service charge will adjust and can be seen under "details" near the total price.

Making the child guest #2 would mess things up for the SDP since the child would have the dining package and guest #3 would not. However, if all 3 are dining together, the server will probably use the child's SDP to cover the adult's meal and would charge whatever the child ordered (if applicable) to the onboard account. In other words, if the child ordered from the kids' menu and the adults ordered steaks, there would be no charge.

Why would an adult forfeit the UDP so a 4 year old could get the soda package for free?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Why would an adult forfeit the UDP so a 4 year old could get the soda package for free?

In reality, the server would most likely use the child's SDP to cover the adult's meal. Technically, not allowed but probably put through the system to cover the adult meal. 

If the choices are...

Adult as #1

Adult as #2

Child as #3, buy soda package for the child. 

vs. 

Adult as #1

Child as #2, no need to buy a soda package for the child. 

Adult as #3

...the second option is probably better UNLESS the child doesn't drink soda. 

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

She doesn't drink soda. mostly water with some juices thrown in.

For the OP, it's better to keep the child as #3.

For other parents who intend to buy the soda package, the switch would probably be better.

36 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

In reality, the server would most likely use the child's SDP to cover the adult's meal. Technically, not allowed but probably put through the system to cover the adult meal. 

If the choices are...

Adult as #1

Adult as #2

Child as #3, buy soda package for the child. 

vs. 

Adult as #1

Child as #2, no need to buy a soda package for the child. 

Adult as #3

...the second option is probably better UNLESS the child doesn't drink soda. 

For the OP, it's better to keep the child as #3.

For other parents who intend to buy the soda package, the switch would probably be better.

Only if #2 doesn’t drink alcohol.