Restaurant recommendations

mljatsea

We'll be able to book our speciality dining for the Rotterdam soon and looking for advice. Not much experience on HAL but have enjoyed Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind. I see that our cruise should have two times with Taste of De Librije, the Jonnie Boer restaurant, in the Pinnacle Grill. Do you recommend? Is there an upcharge in addition to the usual Pinnacle charge?

Thanks.

No. I do not recommend as it is just not our ‘taste’ but taste is so subjective.  

Yes. There is an up charge- more than the Pinnacle Grill up charge and it is not eligible for your star discount if you receive one under your Mariner discounts.  Everyone pays the full price.  

• Like 2

Our De Liberjie was a one and done some years ago. Not a fan of "foamed" anything, beef cheeks nor deconstructed apple pie. Far more culinary gimmicks, than exemplary cuisine at that time.

Have they improved - take a look at their own restaurant website to see what they are up to today. Even the Dutch passengers sitting near us in MDR scoffed at its pretentious concepts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mljatsea said:

Not much experience on HAL but have enjoyed Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind. I see that our cruise should have two times with Taste of De Librije, the Jonnie Boer restaurant, in the Pinnacle Grill. Do you recommend? Is there an upcharge in addition to the usual Pinnacle charge?

I see you have got (non) recommendations. The charge as of June was US$69 ($89 with wine pairing) plus 18% service ($81.42/ $105.02). Per person.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, oldbluff said:

Tamarind. Consistently excellent food and service. 

And atmosphere, unlike the Pinnacle Grill which reminds me of a Denny's with tablecloths. 

ETA: on the K'dam that is. I prefer the Zaandam/Volendam where the setting is like a library/den.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

And atmosphere, unlike the Pinnacle Grill which reminds me of a Denny's with tablecloths. 

ETA: on the K'dam that is. I prefer the Zaandam/Volendam where the setting is like a library/den.

Canaletto had a fairly nice setting on the Noordam too. Even though it was carved out of the main Lido dining area, it had its own more secluded area. It was very busy. 

• Like 1

I do like the MDR and the recent reports of the new menus are exciting.  I also like Tamarind, I agree Canaletto is much improved.  DH likes the Pinnacle dinner but I prefer the lunch - same great beef, smaller portions and without the pretentious service style.  As to the various pop ups I am yet to read a review that makes me want to try them. 

• Like 1

I know it’s not the most popular opinion around here, but I think Rudi’s is amazing!  We have always enjoyed our meals there and have not experienced any of the troubles that others have experienced.

I also agree that Tamarind is terrific.

As far as Pinnacle goes, we actually tend to like the lunches there on sea days more than the normal dinner times (way less crowded, and lots of good choices on the menu).  On a related note, we have loved cellar-master dinners in Pinnacle (which, sadly, are not offered in every itinerary.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise! 

Edited by PalmSprings
Spelling correction
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2023 at 8:18 PM, PalmSprings said:

I know it’s not the most popular opinion around here, but I think Rudi’s is amazing!  We have always enjoyed our meals there and have not experienced any of the troubles that others have experienced.

I also agree that Tamarind is terrific.

As far as Pinnacle goes, we actually tend to like the lunches there on sea days more than the normal dinner times (way less crowded, and lots of good choices on the menu).  On a related note, we have loved cellar-master dinners in Pinnacle (which, sadly, are not offered in every itinerary.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise! 

I agree about Rudi’s. Our only experience was on Koningsdam the end of last year. We went once and it was fabulous. So we returned another 4-5 times during the four weeks onboard. The food was always excellent and only once was the service very good instead of superb.

I also agree about Pinnacle Grill for lunch. Consistently good and a bargain.

For us, consistency is key. I will frequent a lesser quality restaurant much more often than one that is hit or miss. Plus then I can recommend it without hesitation.

• Like 1

Just got off the lovely Koningsdam today!  Ate dinner at Rudi's last Saturday night.  Service and food was excellent!!!  

I also enjoy our Pinnacle lunch, a Tamarind and a Canaletto dinner onboard.

My sister and I were very impressed by the food on the ship in all the venues.

• Like 5