Packing. Ugh!

DaisyUK

We board QV tomorrow and am in my usual mode of panic-packing. I don't know why it is that packing beats me every time. I'm a pretty organised person and I decide what I'm going to take, but somehow when everything's just about finished I cannot resist taking one last look through my clothes and adding things willy-nilly, especially shoes. How do you all limit your packing, or don't you?

Aloha. We are blessed to have this first world problem. That said, my wife packs as much as she wants depending on where we are going without worrying about weight or amount of luggage as we will pay for any excess. We also divide clothing in each suitcase between us in case luggage is lost. That was the case on a long South America Antartica voyage when fortunately our luggage’s was not lost but our friends were and never found so we were able to provide them with clothes for the entire vacation. At least they were our size lol.  As we divide our time between NY and Honolulu we have enough belongings in both locations so our travels are light.  Be grateful for this problem as we are after 37 years of marriage.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

We board QV tomorrow and am in my usual mode of panic-packing. I don't know why it is that packing beats me every time. I'm a pretty organised person and I decide what I'm going to take, but somehow when everything's just about finished I cannot resist taking one last look through my clothes and adding things willy-nilly, especially shoes. How do you all limit your packing, or don't you?

I know you were kind enough to be interested in my 1 and 2 comparisons, but just in case you booked a 1, don't forget that whilst deck 7s have a few USB points, the deck 6s don't have any.

Since boarding school, I’ve never had a problem with packing, simply taking the minimum I am likely to need (+spare underwear). It helps being totally uninterested in clothes. Having said that, I almost always end up with a couple of items I discover I haven’t worn, things like an unnecessary cardigan for a Med. Cruise. I don’t think I would ever take more than three pairs of shoes, unless going to somewhere very cold, where I needed robust walking shoes. What would be the point? 

We also embark QV tomorrow.

All our clothes are on a portable rail (like you see in shops) and this afternoon they will be folded into cases. One large one each and a suit carrier for jackets, dinner suit and long dresses.

As we are travelling tonight on the Caledonian Sleeper, we also have small carry on bags.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Since boarding school, I’ve never had a problem with packing, simply taking the minimum I am likely to need (+spare underwear). It helps being totally uninterested in clothes. Having said that, I almost always end up with a couple of items I discover I haven’t worn, things like an unnecessary cardigan for a Med. Cruise. I don’t think I would ever take more than three pairs of shoes, unless going to somewhere very cold, where I needed robust walking shoes. What would be the point? 

I take two pairs of black evening shoes [with another non black whacky coloured pair] after seeing a fellow passenger break one of her evening shoe heels and didn't have a back up pair.

Add a few daywear shoes and they are at a minimum, as are handbags. One very small evening bag does for me.

Saves on luggage space. 🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I know you were kind enough to be interested in my 1 and 2 comparisons, but just in case you booked a 1, don't forget that whilst deck 7s have a few USB points, the deck 6s don't have any.

Thank you for the reminder! We are in a 1, deck 7 so the USB points will be handy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I take two pairs of black evening shoes [with another non black whacky coloured pair] after seeing a fellow passenger break one of her evening shoe heels and didn't have a back up pair.

Add a few daywear shoes and they are at a minimum, as are handbags. One very small evening bag does for me.

Saves on luggage space. 🙂

That’s why on a Med. cruise it’s walking sandals, intermediate sandals, and smart shoes. The intermediate sandals could and do substitute for either of the others. And just the one black hand bag. Why clutter up life with more?

• Like 1

Thank you exlondoner. It will be our first time on QV, but not Cunard. Very much looking forward to it, if I can just get my packing finished! As LouChamp rightly pointed out, a first world problem and all a bit tongue in cheek, but I am currently looking at my 8 pairs of shoes (excluding trainers and travelling shoes) sitting neatly by my suitcase. Prior to reading these posts, I thought I had done quite well, but apparently not!😅

Good news is we are driving to and from S'hampton, so no airports or security to navigate.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

We also embark QV tomorrow.

All our clothes are on a portable rail (like you see in shops) and this afternoon they will be folded into cases. One large one each and a suit carrier for jackets, dinner suit and long dresses.

As we are travelling tonight on the Caledonian Sleeper, we also have small carry on bags.

Safe travels! I do have a portable rail also, which is currently taking the strain!

• Like 1

We also invested several years ago in a couple of portable rails mentioned by Bigmac above. They are so useful in sorting out what you need to pack and what goes with what. 

Shoes wise, a low heeled pair of black evening shoes ( very comfortable) and Skechers for daywear..slip ons and sandals. So lightweight and easy to pack.

Have a great cruise all of you, we love the QV and have enjoyed our time on her. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Thank you exlondoner. It will be our first time on QV, but not Cunard. Very much looking forward to it, if I can just get my packing finished! As LouChamp rightly pointed out, a first world problem and all a bit tongue in cheek, but I am currently looking at my 8 pairs of shoes (excluding trainers and travelling shoes) sitting neatly by my suitcase. Prior to reading these posts, I thought I had done quite well, but apparently not!😅

Good news is we are driving to and from S'hampton, so no airports or security to navigate.

I don’t think I have ever owned eight pairs of shoes. 
Being able to drive to Soton does make things so much easier. It was even easier when the porters unloaded the car.

This thread reminds me that I had a dream a couple of weeks ago in which I was on board on a formal night and realized I'd failed to pack dressy shoes.  Ack!  In real life I store my dressy shoes next to my long dresses, so less chance of forgetting them. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

Also on this trip and must finish packing this afternoon. Don’t worry, I also seem to have a lot of shoes! Why travel light when this is still a place to enjoy dressing up?

We are in QG, perhaps our paths will cross!

Edited by LadyL1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Also on this trip and must finish packing this afternoon. Don’t worry, I also seem to have a lot of shoes! Why travel light when this is still a place to enjoy dressing up?

We are in QG, perhaps our paths will cross!

Indeed - not so many places to dress up these days and I do love shoes. With the advantage of driving to the port, packing so much isn't really an issue so I'm just going with it! Yes, maybe we'll bump into each other onboard. Safe travels...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm also packing for QV tomorrow and now you've made me panic as I only have one pair... (they are new though so hopefully will be fine)

I am with those of you on the 'bring more shoes' train - I've got a World Voyage segment starting in January on QV (16 nights FLL-SFO), and at this point, I think I'm up to 5 or 6 pairs, plus flip flops for pool wear? 1 pair heeled sandals that are comfortable for walking but also dressy enough for smart nights, 1 pair sporty sandals for excursions, Blundstones for getting to Florida from snowy Toronto & for walking around in likely rainy SFO, and 2 or 3 pairs of heels for evening wear - two black, and one probably green. 

5 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

How do you all limit your packing, or don't you?

Once we started doing repeat crossings, I developed a packing list in spreadsheet format (with two tick boxes: "take" and "packed") to help get everything sorted by day (1st/last)  time of day (day/evening) formality (gala/non-gala).  Being a guy on a relatively predictable as a TA vs a cruise, this is not a very hard list to put together. I would imagine for a woman on a cruise, it's somewhat more multi-dimensional.  Now when I go to pack for a TA, there is a formula that results in 1 suit case and 1 roll aboard, and my back pack.    

What I have yet to achieve is translating that *packing* list into a *wearing* list.  Things get a bit jumbled in the unpacking, so I am usually bumping around a darkened cabin to get dressed in the morning (OH sleeps in), hoping I am coming out of the cabin reasonably coordinated.