Viva: Shore excursions are auto-discounted based on Tier discount! No need to visit shore excursions like on other ships

fstuff1

Im on Viva and booked a ship excursion. (i'm traveling solo.)

from the moment i booked through the NCL app, my latitudes tier discount is auto-applied!

No need to visit shore excursions after the excursion and ask the price to be manually adjusted for the tier discount.

I hope all other ships get this updated software!!!

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Has this only been a problem when booking on the ship? I always get my discount when pre-booking online.

Enocre last November (2022), I had the discount auto applied for both pre-booked excursions and excursions booked on the ship.  I don't recall this ever being a problem.

4 hours ago, Asawi said:

Latitude discount automatically applied for excursions booked through app on Star, Gem and Bliss for me. Isn't this normal?

no.

this is the 1st time the discount has been automatic for me and i've taken like 50 ncl cruises.

EVERYTIME before this i had to wait on line at shore ex and ask them to apply the tier discount. (i do it after i've taken all my shore ex so i only need to do it once.)

edit:

i booked while on board and not pre-booked so i can use use OBC

Edited by fstuff1

2 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Well, all indications are that you are one of a very few outliers.

It is actually spelled out in the t&C that if you book onboard you have to let the staff know that you have a latitudes discount.

So no, not an outlier by any means.

If you prebook, the discount is applied automatically.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

It is actually spelled out in the t&C that if you book onboard you have to let the staff know that you have a latitudes discount.

Well, I must have gotten lucky.  Last November, I had rebooked excursions cancelled (2 of them), I got the proper credit back.  I then booked on board two other excursions and both of those had the discounts applied.  I know this because the way they do the credit for cancelled cruises is a bit weird (they credit the full price and then charge you for the discount) which had me then going over the entire bill with a  fine tooth comb.

5 hours ago, julig22 said:

yup.

and i said in my OP booking while on board so dont understand all these replies about getting the tier discount while pre-booking

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I have never had an excursion booked onboard correctly discounted. And it has not happened on any of our cruises this year. We’re booked on the Viva next month,’so we’ll see what happens. 

We booked our excursion with a stop to the airport in Reykjavik directly onboard on the Prima this past summer and did have both our Latitude and BOGO taken off. We did remind them we had those when we booked. The thing they did not automatically do although they said they would was credit back our BOGO transfers. I had to go to customer service to end up having this done.  

8 hours ago, julig22 said:

If you aren't cruising until January, how do you know that excursions booked onboard will have the latitudes discount applied automatically?

I was referencing the pre-booked excursions getting the discount applied appropriately...

5 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Well, I must have gotten lucky.  Last November, I had rebooked excursions cancelled (2 of them), I got the proper credit back.  I then booked on board two other excursions and both of those had the discounts applied.  I know this because the way they do the credit for cancelled cruises is a bit weird (they credit the full price and then charge you for the discount) which had me then going over the entire bill with a  fine tooth comb.

The FAS discount is a different process and it is automatically applied after you take your excursion - if you book onboard. However, the Latitudes discount is a manual process - some of the staff are better than others about asking/noticing your latitudes discount. 

And yes, the refund process is bizzare at best, depending on the ship. They do refund the full amount of what you paid (so excursion amount less $40-$45 depending on your discount), then add back the $50 FAS credit if you had one.

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Not sure what the FAS has to do with the Latitudes discount that I was discussing.

The "discount" that they charge-back (your terminology) if you cancel a pre-booked excursion onboard is the $50 FAS credit. Not a latitudes % discount.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

The "discount" that they charge-back (your terminology) if you cancel a pre-booked excursion onboard is the $50 FAS credit. Not a latitudes % discount.

Sigh.  The only reason I mentioned the chargebacks was to explain why I was looking so closely at my bill and why I knew for a fact that I was getting the Latitudes discount on the onboard booked excursions.  

Apparently you can't accept that perhaps some people actually did get the discounts.  No problem.  If it makes you happier, I'll tell you that I too didn't get the Latitudes discount.

14 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Sigh.  The only reason I mentioned the chargebacks was to explain why I was looking so closely at my bill and why I knew for a fact that I was getting the Latitudes discount on the onboard booked excursions.  

Apparently you can't accept that perhaps some people actually did get the discounts.  No problem.  If it makes you happier, I'll tell you that I too didn't get the Latitudes discount.

Sigh.  I never said you didn't. But good for you that the staff on your cruise was so attentive that they took care of it without you asking.

Some of us have had to ask because it's not been an automatic function in the past (as indicated in the t&c's). Which was the intent of the original post - to point out that the old process when booking onboard may be changing.

11 hours ago, julig22 said:

because it's not been an automatic function in the past

in fact, it's lacked such automation that the people at the Shore Excursions desk had to MANUALLY calculate the price of the excursion after the Latitudes discount and override the pricing to grant the discount!

• Thanks 1