Technical Question regarding a Continuous Glucose Monitor while on the ship (Allure)

Dolby1000

My wife wears a Dexcom G6, which monitors her blood sugar via a device on her arm. It connects to her iPhone via Bluetooth and delivers continuous blood sugar reading as advertised. When it works (I won't go there) it is great, but that Bluetooth connection seems to break easily. .

Now, I am not tech savvy, will this Bluetooth connection work on the Allure or do I need to buy the Vroom package to ensure the connection remains continuous. This technology depends on such a connection.

We are bringing her test strips as a backup.

Thanks to anyone who has experience with CGM.

Dave

27 minutes ago, Dolby1000 said:

My wife wears a Dexcom G6, which monitors her blood sugar via a device on her arm. It connects to her iPhone via Bluetooth and delivers continuous blood sugar reading as advertised. When it works (I won't go there) it is great, but that Bluetooth connection seems to break easily. .

Now, I am not tech savvy, will this Bluetooth connection work on the Allure or do I need to buy the Vroom package to ensure the connection remains continuous. This technology depends on such a connection.

Dave

No experience with this type of monitor but I have a pacemaker that is monitored via an app on my phone. I always buy the WiFi pkg to be sure I have continuous monitoring….

• Like 1

There are far more tech savvy people on this forum than me but my understanding is that Bluetooth is independent of Wifi.  For example my AirPods work with my iPhone by bluetooth whether I have data by cellular or wifi or not.  I can put my phone in airplane mode, turn off all outside connections (wifi and cellular) and AirPods work fine exactly the same.  The question is does the app on the iPhone require any sort of internet conectivity to function correctly. A simple way to test that is to put your phone in Airplane mode.  Make sure your wifi is turned off but the bluetooth is turned on and connected to the Glucose monitor.  You can then confirm that it functions the same way as usual.  This will replicate the experience you have on the ship without the Voom wifi package.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

There are far more tech savvy people on this forum than me but my understanding is that Bluetooth is independent of Wifi.  For example my AirPods work with my iPhone by bluetooth whether I have data by cellular or wifi or not.  I can put my phone in airplane mode, turn off all outside connections (wifi and cellular) and AirPods work fine exactly the same.  The question is does the app on the iPhone require any sort of internet conectivity to function correctly. A simple way to test that is to put your phone in Airplane mode.  Make sure your wifi is turned off but the bluetooth is turned on and connected to the Glucose monitor.  You can then confirm that it functions the same way as usual.  This will replicate the experience you have on the ship without the Voom wifi package.

This is an excellent suggestion; I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it! We will try it tomorrow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dolby1000 said:

Dave

@Dolby1000 Not only do I have the G6, but also use the Tandem t:slim X2 which is tied to my G6. No need for internet at all. I’ve also used the Omnipod 5 with my G6 without issue. Started with G4 , then G5 all without issue. 

side note - have Dexcom troubleshoot your wife’s connection issues. I’ve only had issues when phone or app needed updating, when transmitter battery on sensor needed replacing, or the occasional phone rich environment. Moving phone to that side of body always fixed it. 

Thank you for all the answers, I appreciate it. For those on Dexcom, one other question, how do you handle security when you need to bring additional devices for a change during the cruise. Can they go through the scanner?  Can you go through the scanner with it on since you can't remove it? How do you handle this? We haven't traveled with this system yet and she is in all sorts of worry about this.

Thank everyone again in advance.

18 minutes ago, Dolby1000 said:

Thank you for all the answers, I appreciate it. For those on Dexcom, one other question, how do you handle security when you need to bring additional devices for a change during the cruise. Can they go through the scanner?  Can you go through the scanner with it on since you can't remove it? How do you handle this? We haven't traveled with this system yet and she is in all sorts of worry about this.

Don't sweat it. They've seen it before, so if the device sets off the scanners, just tell security and you'll be fine.

3 hours ago, Dolby1000 said:

I’ve worn both my CGM and insulin pump for many years on many cruises; no issues.  Not even a chirp. Enjoy your cruise!

9 hours ago, Dolby1000 said:

They haven’t even noticed it for the most part. Sometimes I set off the metal detector and I just tell them I’m wearing an insulin pump and they flag me through. I keep all of my supplies in my carry on bag and they’ve never questioned anything. 
I usually get a pat down though at airports, no big deal!