How early can I get off the ship in Whittier

mattR

Trying to catch a 11:15am flight out of Anchorage at 11:15am.  I will arrange for a private transfer to get me from the ship can I get off the ship at 5:45 or 6:45? According to the Alaska department of Transportation the tunnel opens outbound at 6am during the summer. I am willing to handle my own luggage. Sailing on the Royal Princess.  Any flights later than this would require a overnight to get back to Alberta Canada. 

56 minutes ago, mattR said:

Dock at 12:30am.  Asking for my sister who is always up at 5am anyways.  Just wondering if Princess would restrict people leaving the ship before a certain time?

You are restricted to leaving until after they have tied up, cleared passengers, and done all the 'things'.... I have read around 6am but others can probably share first-hand experience.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Just because the ship docks at 12:30am doesn't mean they will be setup for disembarking then. 

Yes the main part of my question to clarify should be,  What time does the gangway typically open for disembarkation in Whittier for ships (Princess) arriving during the middle of the night. 

5 hours ago, mattR said:

tunnel opens outbound at 6am

But remember, your transportation is coming from Anchorage. They will need to come through the tunnel, get to the dock, load you up and then get back to the tunnel before 6:15. If they miss that, you'll be waiting for the 7am opening.

Just make sure you have a back up plan for if you miss your flight.

This is NOT SOMETHING I WOULD DO!  If you do that, be prepared to miss your flight!  And there aren't that many flights from Anchorage.  Sure the ship can get there, but will they let you off?  What if there is a storm?  What if your private transport can't make the tunnel?  What if there is an issue with the ship being cleared?  What if there is an accident in the tunnel? 

• 4 weeks later...

You usually start disembarking in Whittier about 6:30 a.m. or 7:00 a.m. you'll be lucky to get the 7:00 a.m. tunnel. Otherwise it would be 8:00 a.m. . The tunnel is only open for 15 minutes every hour in each direction. So if you take the 8:00 a.m. tunnel you might get to Anchorage by 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. very tight for an 11:15 a.m. departure. I definitely would not recommend it.