Cruising in 9 days for the first time since 2019... Please help!

Lyn1Lyn

• So we are cruising for the 1st time since 2019. First time with our whole family since 2016. I used to have a "cruise bin" that had everything we needed. As we went yearly.  Since it's been so long, the cruise bin has slowly been dismantled and I have no idea what to grab. I feel like my head is spinning. I honestly feel like it is my first time cruising and I know nothing. I am stressing out a little (alot!). Because I work so many hours a day 4 days a week, I don't tend to even be able to settle down to think about the trip until Fridays when I am off, or late at night (when everything is already closed). So here I am sitting at my table at 1am, trying to wrap my head around all the packing I need to do... (IN SECRET, because the trip is a surprise early Christmas present to the littles). I have this weekend to really get things together, since I will be working Mon-Fri next week to prepare to be off and we leave that Sunday.. AAAAAHHHHH!!!
  •  
  • Please help me... Can you suggest things I might forget?
  •  
  • For Reference: Carnival Venezia, 8 days Bahamas, out of Manhattan
  • Family of 9 Including, 2 adult parents, our adult son and wife 25yrs old and our 5 other children ages 7yrs to 20 yrs. (as well as my parents travelling with) 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

if you google cruise packing lists you will find websites with suggested items so you can pick and chose to restart your own lists. I have been working to try to down size my packing but my must haves include hats, sun block, bug spray, my own little drug store of items from aspirin type products, cold remedies, rolaids etc, bandaids, neosporin etc., (my hubby laughs at me until he needs something), items for pool/beach, beach bag, small crossbody bag I carry for outings, hair products, lotions, clothing that will pass for elegant night (if i chose to participate). The rest is pretty standard when traveling 

• Like 1

Really the same things you'd need for any other vacation. Don't over think it. There are plenty of blogs online where people write 5000 word essays on what they pack for their cruise that were probably written by Chat GPT, complete with dozens of Amazon affiliate links to the useless crap they recommend.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

Don't forget any over the counter meds that you might need for colds, coughs, upset stomachs, sea sickness, etc. Remember your documents, remind the other adults to remember theirs. Sun screen. Water shoes if you use them. Travel games for the littles if needed. Reading material. As mentioned, don't stress too much and try to avoid overpacking (I presume you are driving to the port so this isn't as critical as it is if you are flying). Don't forget your sense of fun!

• Like 2

These answers have already been so helpful.  So many reminders in these replies of so many things that would have been in my "bin" that are now missing. And I really was truly stuck on clothes. Couldn't think past it. 

I would have completely left even simple things like sunblock, bug spray and hats. 

... thanks to everyone who is shooting over replies. Greatly appreciated!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

There are plenty of blogs online where people write 5000 word essays on what they pack for their cruise that were probably written by Chat GPT, complete with dozens of Amazon affiliate links to the useless crap they recommend.

Oh, there have been endless annoying sites like that since long before Chat GPT!

I have an active list in my Notes area of my Phone for this reason.  It gets added to every now and then.

There's lots of silly things that become quite annoying if you forget them:

Depending on what footwear you have for embarkation day, you may need: sandals, flipflops, sneakers/runners, dress shoes, and the appropriate socks to go with.  My wife has occasionally arrived at our vacation to suddenly realize she packed no socks or stockings, because she's wearing sandals as usual.

Beyond clothing (remember swimsuits!), pajamas (if that is important to you), chargers/adapters, and sunscreen/aloe/bandages, a few other useful items are:

• little zip lock bags for who-knows-what
  • plastic grocery bags or similar for wet clothing that doesn't dry before you have to debark
  • Lint roller/remover
  • sunglasses (esp easy to forget if coming from an area or weather where it ain't sunny when you leave the house)
  • glasses cleaner (esp if you wear prescription glasses)

But yeah, poke around online, you may get reminded of stuff I would never need to bring but is essential for you.

• Like 1

Probably my favorite thing ever..... magnetic hooks for walls.  Gives you extra places for hanging hats, bags, wet bathing suits or exercise clothes, etc. 

If you don't have any, search Neomusk magnetic hooks on Amazon for an example. 

Enjoy your cruise!

9 hours ago, mz-s said:

Really the same things you'd need for any other vacation. Don't over think it. There are plenty of blogs online where people write 5000 word essays on what they pack for their cruise that were probably written by Chat GPT, complete with dozens of Amazon affiliate links to the useless crap they recommend.

Now I need to look up what Chat GPT is....lol, I have no idea.

4 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

main thing, for me, would be to be aware of the debarkation process in NYC.  its an absolute madhouse.  we just debarked last month.  chaos city.  4k people dropped on the streets of midtown manhattan.  

if you're going to airport highly recommend taking the Carnival shuttle.  

No airport thankfully. And yes I completely agree.. it can be an absolute madhouse. 

On 12/1/2023 at 1:11 AM, Lyn1Lyn said:
  • So we are cruising for the 1st time since 2019. First time with our whole family since 2016. I used to have a "cruise bin" that had everything we needed. As we went yearly.  Since it's been so long, the cruise bin has slowly been dismantled and I have no idea what to grab. I feel like my head is spinning. I honestly feel like it is my first time cruising and I know nothing. I am stressing out a little (alot!). Because I work so many hours a day 4 days a week, I don't tend to even be able to settle down to think about the trip until Fridays when I am off, or late at night (when everything is already closed). So here I am sitting at my table at 1am, trying to wrap my head around all the packing I need to do... (IN SECRET, because the trip is a surprise early Christmas present to the littles). I have this weekend to really get things together, since I will be working Mon-Fri next week to prepare to be off and we leave that Sunday.. AAAAAHHHHH!!!
  •  
  • Please help me... Can you suggest things I might forget?
  •  
  • For Reference: Carnival Venezia, 8 days Bahamas, out of Manhattan
  • Family of 9 Including, 2 adult parents, our adult son and wife 25yrs old and our 5 other children ages 7yrs to 20 yrs. (as well as my parents travelling with) 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

don't forget immodium, dramamine, benadryl, tylenol first aide bag with band aides clippers, floss, etc

here is my packing list

Cruise packing list 082822.odt

On 12/1/2023 at 12:37 PM, Lyn1Lyn said:

These answers have already been so helpful.  So many reminders in these replies of so many things that would have been in my "bin" that are now missing. And I really was truly stuck on clothes. Couldn't think past it. 

I would have completely left even simple things like sunblock, bug spray and hats. 

... thanks to everyone who is shooting over replies. Greatly appreciated!!

Congrats on getting back on the water! You're brave traveling w/such a large, varied group.

Highly recommend paring down clothes and utilize the laundry service. Remember the magnetic wall hooks - they're versatile and a life saver.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

Assuming you are staying in a standard size room with 2-3 of the kids - highly recommend a cheap over the door pocket hanger to help organize stuff.   Doesn't weigh much and takes up very little packing space.  We always put this on the outside of the bathroom door so it could be used even if someone was in the bathroom (or even hung it on the wall using multiple magnetic hooks) to provide extra space for the stuff you grab more often (sunglasses, sunscreen, deodorant, etc).  

2 hours ago, KaiBlue said:

Assuming you are staying in a standard size room with 2-3 of the kids - highly recommend a cheap over the door pocket hanger to help organize stuff.   Doesn't weigh much and takes up very little packing space.  We always put this on the outside of the bathroom door so it could be used even if someone was in the bathroom (or even hung it on the wall using multiple magnetic hooks) to provide extra space for the stuff you grab more often (sunglasses, sunscreen, deodorant, etc).  

We have 5 rooms. Hubby and I will be in adjoining rooms with the 3 youngest children. Then the others are spread between the last 3 rooms. I will definitely be going out either tonight or tomorrow and grabbing some items like the hooks and the organizers. I am sure we can all benefit from them.  Thanks 

I am THE KEEPER OF ID for our trips that require ID, passports, birth certificates and driver licenses.  This way I know that we will all be able to get on the ship at embarkation.  I also hold on to the boarding passes till we are walking to the terminal to check in. This knowledge reduces my stress.

Chargers, prescription glasses, prescriptions, swim suits, flip flops, cell phones would be difficult/impossible to buy.  Pretty much everything else you can buy or pivot if needed.  My 21 year old DD forgot a swim suit cover up this last cruise.  She used a t shirt.

Good luck on traveling with your group and have a wonderful cruise!!

Edited by ninjacat123