Dining Reservation 1st Night on Marina

islabahia

28 minutes ago, islabahia said:

Hi!  We are refugees from Celebrity and trying to figure out reservations for 1st night. Would appreciate input from Oceania veterans!  TIA

Conventional wisdom is "Don't bother reserving, pre-cruise, a specialty dinner on the first night.  Just ask for such as an extra as soon as you board".  There is a "Dining Reservations" desk somewhere near Reception -- or ask your butler if you have one.  Oceania doesn't charge for "specialty" dining, even extras.  There are a few meals ("Privée", etc) they do charge for (typically with eye-watering prices0 but those are the exceptions.

I've found the advice to be well-founded, but...   YMMV.

• Like 3

We will often reserve a Specialitiy restaurant on the first night.  We find the first night dining in other venues such as GDR and the Terrace to be extremely crowded and service rushed as a result.  Whereas, we start our cruise with a relaxing and delicious dinner - personal choices.  

• Like 2

We go against the common advice and use one of our advance specialty reservations on the first night. Why? 1) We don't really get excited about the specialties on R-ships which we have been on recently, so the GDR and Terrace are preferred; and on O-ships there are 4 specialties so we use one on the first day since Red Ginger is the only one we would try to get twice if there are a bunch of sea days. 2) The first day is a celebration and we like to know we're going to have an uncrowded, relaxed celebratory dinner rather than leave it to chance. 3) Day 2 is often a sea day so a lengthy dinner and/or eating late is not an issue.

If this sounds like you, go ahead and reserve a specialty on the first day; if not, go with the more common strategy of asking onboard.

• Like 3

We have booked Toscana for our 1st night on our 1st Oceania cruise which begins in 9 days!!!  We've booked Specialty Restaurants the first night on other lines and found it a much better option than the main dining rooms.  Hopefully we will find the same on Oceania.

Can't wait to board!!😀

• Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 2:38 PM, WESTEAST said:

We will often reserve a Specialitiy restaurant on the first night.  We find the first night dining in other venues such as GDR and the Terrace to be extremely crowded and service rushed as a result.  Whereas, we start our cruise with a relaxing and delicious dinner - personal choices.  

+1

We finished reserving our Specialty dining for our 20th sailing this past week.  We booked Toscana at 6:30 on the first night.  The first night is typically the night we want the earliest dinner at a table for two in a quiet atmosphere.  After the travel, the embarcation, Terrace for lunch, unpacking and a shower, it is so nice to just RELAX over a quiet dinner.

We have had some success with requesting that Specialty on embarcation, but not 100% success for the restaurant we prefer.  So, now we lock that reservation 60 days prior and usually get another Toscana reservation near the end of the sailing by requesting it if available, or by using the waitlist.

It all depends on what you prefer.  The GDR does tend to have an opening rush on the first nights due to new Oceania guests thinking a line will form.  Once they realize that it is not necessary, the GDR becomes a lovely venue for dinner whenever you decide to enter. 

Islabahia--Welcome to Oceania!  Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by willidc
typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Slightly off-topic, but for your amusement...

Dining reservations for our next cruise opens for us on 1 Jan.

Going to be up at 12:01am.  Going to be otherwise busy at 12:01am.  😉

Don't want to get too personal, 😉 but if your cruise is booked as heavily as mine, better be fast! 🙂 Was up til midnight for upcoming Vista cruise and all of the early tables for two were gone by 12:07. And we have the 60 day booking window for Concierge class!

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Don't want to get too personal, 😉 but if your cruise is booked as heavily as mine, better be fast! 🙂 Was up til midnight for upcoming Vista cruise and all of the early tables for two were gone by 12:07. And we have the 60 day booking window for Concierge class!

::nods::  Good advice.  👍

We're likely in a better spot, though...

• Much of the competition will be busy at 12:01 Jan 1, too, no?

• Longer cruises have more days (D'oh) but that means more spots to go around.

• We get the 75 day window

• We're willing to share a table or have it served in our cabin.

Oh!  ...and I lied.  We're on Pacific Time (9:01pm 🤫 )

Bon voyage and bon appétit!

9 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

::nods::  Good advice.  👍

We're likely in a better spot, though...

• Much of the competition will be busy at 12:01 Jan 1, too, no?

• Longer cruises have more days (D'oh) but that means more spots to go around.

• We get the 75 day window

• We're willing to share a table or have it served in our cabin.

Oh!  ...and I lied.  We're on Pacific Time (9:01pm 🤫 )

Bon voyage and bon appétit!

LOL...With 75 day window you will be fine. I am booked on a Regent cruise with specialty bookings opening Jan 1. Fortunately they have gone to a more comfortable 8 p.m. ET opening time for reservations.

• 4 weeks later...

For our upcoming Vista cruise, I forgot that it was time to make reservations.  Slept through the night.  Expected to find slim pickings.  When I logged in next day, only restaurants listed were Embers and Polo. Made those reservations.  Strangely after I made those 2 selections, Toscana and Red Ginger showed open reservations.  I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to make my allotted reservations at decent times at sharing table.  I know from previous experience that some reservation spots are held back and can be reserved on the ship.  On some longer cruises, we have asked for additional reservations in some restaurants.  We have also cancelled some reservations after a very busy day.  The maitr’d in GDR has offered specialty reservations to some people who were waiting for a table in GDR.  Sometimes you get lucky.  Regardless food is excellent in all venues.  Terrace Is my choice for dinner especially in warmer areas. Nice to sit outside . Buffet has same menu as GDR plus.  

• Like 1

Another vote for booking the 4 reservations on non-embarkation days.  In January we are in a PH2, so had the 75-day window and got just what we wanted.  Last cruise we walked into Red Ginger at embarkation and the maître de was there and asked if we wanted reservations for that night as the MDR could be quite busy.  We are going to try this same thing on our Jan 2024 cruise. 

Wherever you are, remember, it is 12:00 a.m. EST, aka Miami. It was really great when we were sitting on the lanai in Maui about 6:00 p.m. and making dinner reservations.  Did not lose any sleep on those reservations. 
Sharing reservations are always easier to get than two tops but whatever you want, go for them.

Mauibabes

9 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Wherever you are, remember, it is 12:00 a.m. EST, aka Miami. It was really great when we were sitting on the lanai in Maui about 6:00 p.m. and making dinner reservations.  Did not lose any sleep on those reservations. 
Sharing reservations are always easier to get than two tops but whatever you want, go for them.

Mauibabes

So wish O would change to a more civilized hour for reservations to open up. Regent recently switched from midnight to 20 hours later using same days out from cruise date....8 p.m. Miami time.

9 minutes ago, edgee said:

So wish O would change to a more civilized hour for reservations to open up. Regent recently switched from midnight to 20 hours later using same days out from cruise date....8 p.m. Miami time.

Just imagine the howls of complaints from those in time zones where that is actually a reasonable time. 

• Haha 1