Carnival Jubilee to Offer Fleet’s First 5G Coverage

BlerkOne

https://carnival-news.com/2023/11/16/carnival-jubilee-to-offer-fleets-first-5g-coverage/

Somewhat dated, but I don't see where it was posted before. It will be added to more ships and I think eventually the fleet. Yet another option for those who can't stand to unplug, or otherwise not have that choice, on a cruise. I know ATT has a cruise plan, not sure if anyone else does, YET.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

https://carnival-news.com/2023/11/16/carnival-jubilee-to-offer-fleets-first-5g-coverage/

Somewhat dated, but I don't see where it was posted before. It will be added to more ships and I think eventually the fleet. Yet another option for those who can't stand to unplug, or otherwise not have that choice, on a cruise. I know ATT has a cruise plan, not sure if anyone else does, YET.

Interesting

Cell data across the board is prohibitively expensive on cruise ships, cell carrier 'plan' or not.  Unless that changes I don't see how this is much of a benefit to anyone.

Edited by ray98

5 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Cell data across the board is prohibitively expensive on cruise ships, cell carrier 'plan' or not.  Unless that changes I don't see how this is much of a benefit to anyone.

For one thing if you have a work phone or work laptop with a 5G modem, the company is already set up to pay that so it's easy to have them cover your 5G roaming fees vs. having them pay for wifi.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

For one thing if you have a work phone or work laptop with a 5G modem, the company is already set up to pay that so it's easy to have them cover your 5G roaming fees vs. having them pay for wifi.

I could not imagine what that cost would be, data at sea is billed by the MB.  You can easily spend a thousand for just a week of normal cell phone use no including data hogging stuff like video streaming.  There is no way my company would not balk at me just letting them 'pay for the roaming fees'. 

11 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I could not imagine what that cost would be, data at sea is billed by the MB.  You can easily spend a thousand for just a week of normal cell phone use no including data hogging stuff like video streaming.  There is no way my company would not balk at me just letting them 'pay for the roaming fees'. 

The price you pay for roaming isn't the price a huge corporate account pays for one thing. For another, there are a lot of people who need to be connected at any cost and with 5G roaming that opens up their ability to work from the ship vs. flying to an AI or Hawaii or something so that opens up a market for Carnival.

55 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The price you pay for roaming isn't the price a huge corporate account pays for one thing. For another, there are a lot of people who need to be connected at any cost and with 5G roaming that opens up their ability to work from the ship vs. flying to an AI or Hawaii or something so that opens up a market for Carnival.

Sorry...I am very familiar with how much a large corporation pays for roaming costs.  It would be much cheaper for them to just buy the wi-fi for the week than to expect me to use my company cell or laptop using a hotspot.

10 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Sorry...I am very familiar with how much a large corporation pays for roaming costs.  It would be much cheaper for them to just buy the wi-fi for the week than to expect me to use my company cell or laptop using a hotspot.

Then they can do that. Others can do 5G roaming. What is wrong with having the choice?

6 hours ago, ray98 said:

A lot of people didn't see the demise of telephone operators, either.

I imagine initial demand will be for phone calls to/from the ships which will reduce demand on ship Internet.

As for data, cost could be offset by speed, availability, etc. So many satellites zipping around these days with untapped potential.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

A lot of people didn't see the demise of telephone operators, either.

I imagine initial demand will be for phone calls to/from the ships which will reduce demand on ship Internet.

As for data, cost could be offset by speed, availability, etc. So many satellites zipping around these days with untapped potential.

I assume the 5G will be using the ship's Starlink as backhaul, but that's just an assumption I don't actually know how it will work.

The problem with cellular roaming on ships right now is it all goes over Cellular At Sea, an AT&T company (no matter who your carrier is), so there is no competition and thus rates are very high.

With Starlink offering near land speeds and reliability and 5G being more efficient, I would expect to see this 5G be more affordable than the current Cellular At Sea over time.

Edited by mz-s

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I assume the 5G will be using the ship's Starlink as backhaul, but that's just an assumption I don't actually know how it will work.

The problem with cellular roaming on ships right now is it all goes over Cellular At Sea, an AT&T company (no matter who your carrier is), so there is no competition and thus rates are very high.

With Starlink offering near land speeds and reliability and 5G being more efficient, I would expect to see this 5G be more affordable than the current Cellular At Sea over time.

Starlink is apparently not the only provided Carnival uses and Amazon's Internet service is becoming a reality.

AT&T sold their interest in Wireless Maritime Services.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/10/wireless-maritime-services-becomes-independent-platform/

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Starlink is apparently not the only provided Carnival uses and Amazon's Internet service is becoming a reality.

AT&T sold their interest in Wireless Maritime Services.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/10/wireless-maritime-services-becomes-independent-platform/

I wonder what the backhaul for this 5G at Sea will be. Will they have their own satellite link or will they use the ship's existing satellite link (starlink or whatever).