Windstar Announces Multi-Million Dollar Update to Sailing Ships

Host Jazzbeau

New article on Cruise Industry News:

Windstar Announces Multi-Million Dollar Update to Sailing Ships

I love the quote from the designer:

“The design inspiration really developed from the yachts themselves,” explained Jessica Payne, Windstar’s manager of interior design.  “I studied classic and modern yacht architecture to develop the sophisticated design foundation, and then went on to add pops of fun and peeks of relief inspired by our sails, the sea, the cities we visit, and our guests."

Quite a difference from Celebrity, which proudly proclaimed that the designers of its Edge ship had never even sailed before!!!

• Like 5

This is great news Jazzbeau.  All of the sailing ships were at a point where they needed a bit of love.  I think they did a great job on the yachts so if they can be replicate this on the sailing ships, it'll be great.  Drydock #1 for the Surf is slated Nov 9 to Dec 21st (likely includes a 2 week wetdock crossing) while Wind Spirit is scheduled for March 10 to April 23rd, 2025.  Nothing yet on the dates for 2026 (phase II of the Wind Star & Wind Surf).  It looks like Wind Spirit will get it all done in one dry dock vs 2 for the other 2 sailing ships.

14 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

I was never certain the sailing ships were going to last, this is great news!

I agree, have been really worried for years. We love those ships and we have had great trips and dreamy vacations in the Caribbean ( trip/vacation very different for us) on the Surf in 3 weeks. Bravo Windstar Cruises. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

We just disembarked the Wind Surf yesterday in Saint Maarten after our TA crossing from Lisbon.  Having dinner with a few of the officers, we were given a sneak peak (we were asked not to post anything on social media until it was published) of their upgrade plans.  We are very pleased with Windstar's commitment to keeping their ships up to date.   Like Jazzbeau mentioned about Celebrity, the WS's officers feedback was taken into account with the planning/design process.  

We look forward to seeing/experiencing their sailing ships when it's all completed.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, Misty Morning said:

Drydock #1 for the Surf is slated Nov 9 to Dec 21st

Anyone heard what is being completed/renovated during the first dry dock? We just booked a Jan 2025 sailing. Just wondering what will have been updated on that sailing (first time sailing with Windstar).

• 1 month later...

We have always been partial to Wind Star and Wind Spirit and may book another cruise for winter 2025. After reading a few negative comments about their pre-renovation condition, we are slightly hesitant. We are not ultra-picky, but we are wondering what some recent guests have to say about the condition of cabins and common areas. I'm confident crew and food remain excellent.

9 hours ago, LJWECOC said:

We have always been partial to Wind Star and Wind Spirit and may book another cruise for winter 2025. After reading a few negative comments about their pre-renovation condition, we are slightly hesitant. We are not ultra-picky, but we are wondering what some recent guests have to say about the condition of cabins and common areas. I'm confident crew and food remain excellent.

We were on the Surf in January. We adore that ship and we are also not fussy. We found the cabins simply fine. The hall floors the carpets in some places a spot or two, our cabin the floor had a spot. On the decks there was a bit of damage but not dangerous and only in some places. That was it. Everything else perfect. I wrote a review. Happy Sailing

Has anyone studied the cruise schedules to find gaps that may indicate when each ship will be in drydock? I just booked a cruise aboard the Wind Surf for September '25.  Just curious as to whether improvements will be made prior to that time. 

4 hours ago, mnocket said:

Has anyone studied the cruise schedules to find gaps that may indicate when each ship will be in drydock? I just booked a cruise aboard the Wind Surf for September '25.  Just curious as to whether improvements will be made prior to that time. 

The article says that Wind Surf will be done in two phases, first in 2024 and then in 2026. So you will have the first set of renovations. If it is done the same as for Wind Star's two phases, the first is the public spaces other than the dining rooms and the second is dining rooms and staterooms. We were on Wind Surf in October-November and had no issues with it's current condition. 

First drydock for the Wind Surf is scheduled for Nov/Dec 2024 and the 2nd one will likely be in 2026 but given cruise schedule is not out yet for 2026, we do know when this is going to take place but for your cruise, the public areas should have all been renovated.

6 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

The article says that Wind Surf will be done in two phases, first in 2024 and then in 2026. So you will have the first set of renovations. If it is done the same as for Wind Star's two phases, the first is the public spaces other than the dining rooms and the second is dining rooms and staterooms. We were on Wind Surf in October-November and had no issues with it's current condition. 

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I had a brain fart.  We are sailing on the Wind Spirit not the Wind Surf as I said.  So it's the drydock schedule for the Wind Spirit that I'm interested in.

Well you are in luck because the Wind Spirit's drydock is from March 10th 2025 to April 22nd 2025 and in the case of the Wind Spirit, they are doing all the refurbishments in one longer drydock (not 2 like the Wind Star and Wind Surf), which means it will be fully renovated (incl. staterooms) when you hop on in September.   We are on the Wind Spirit this coming May.  It will be interesting to see in what shape it's in.

6 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

Well you are in luck because the Wind Spirit's drydock is from March 10th 2025 to April 22nd 2025 and in the case of the Wind Spirit, they are doing all the refurbishments in one longer drydock (not 2 like the Wind Star and Wind Surf), which means it will be fully renovated (incl. staterooms) when you hop on in September.   We are on the Wind Spirit this coming May.  It will be interesting to see in what shape it's in.

Wow, thanks👍  That is great news!